Remove Activity Navigation Bar

Remove Activity Navigation Bar

by Jeremy Janz -
Number of replies: 18

Is there a way to remove the activity navigation bar at the bottom of a book. Its been very confusing for our students as they keep clicking that instead of the next page. There is a picture below.

Navigation thingy

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 3.53.52 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Janz

Re: Remove Activity Navigation Bar

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
That will be appearing all acitivites not just book - it looks like your course appearance is currently set to "Show one section per page" - go to Course Admin > Edit settings and change your course "appearance" to "Show all sections on one page"

OR - if you need/want it to be One section per page, you can hide the navigation using Custom CSS -

.course-content .section_footer {display: none;}
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Jon,
thanks for your help, this feature is something we are also trying to eliminate because it confuses learners. However, the Custom CSS doesn't work for me - I wrote it as the picture shows - the first CSS code works but the second doesn't - do you know why? I tried both all text in a single line and in 3 different lines.

Regarding the course format, I also have some problems - I have opened a new thread for it.
Thanks a lot!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Jon Bolton -
Which version of Moodle are you using Beatriz?
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Gilles Bouchard -

I have the same problem...

Need to remove that navigation bar.

Moodle 3.7

In reply to Gilles Bouchard

by Jon Bolton -

Gilles, the CSS selectors for that change in 3.7 - try

body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse div.activity-navigation {display: none;}
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jennifer Kitney -

Hi Jon,

I was having a similar issue in 3.7 and found that your solution didn't work. I am not really a CSS person but with a bit of trial and error messing about with your options, the following worked to remove both the navigation bar and the "jump to" drop down.

body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse select#jump-to-activity {display: none;}
body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse nav.activity-navigation {display: none;}

Hopefully this helps someone wanting to remove the activity navigation. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks Jon, I answer very late. For 3.9 this works!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Eli Ross -
Hi Beatriz, I'm using 3.9 and I can't get this to work. I just dropped body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse div.activity-navigation {display: none;} in the Dashboard- Site administration- Appearance -Themes-Boost -Advanced Raw SCSS section (tried initial as well). No luck. I've checked that all devices are running boost, cleared caches, refreshed, etc. Is there some noob mistake I'm making here?

I also tried Jennifer's solution body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse select#jump-to-activity {display: none;}
body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse nav.activity-navigation {display: none;} with no luck. TIA!
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jon Bolton -

Try this instead...

body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse a#prev-activity-link,
body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse label[for='jump-to-activity'],
body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse select#jump-to-activity,
body.path-mod.pagelayout-incourse a#next-activity-link {
    display: none;
}
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Milt Friedman -

I have been trying to remove the navigation links at the bottom of the page. I haven't yet succeeded. Maybe I am doing it wrong. Can someone help?

I have Moodle 3.8, boost theme, onetopic format. 

Milt

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Heather P -

I'm on a Moodle 3.8 and that seems to have worked for me. Thank you.

Do you know how we can nominate that as a feature to be incorporated in a future development, being able to turn off the move from activity to activity as it would be really helpful in avoiding missing the labels that actually tell people what to do, if they have a choice between one activity and another, or when the activity is available in more than one format.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Leire Gómez -
  • Hello Jon.
  • I'm using Moodle 3.8.3 and I've tried to modify the raw css with all the codes you've offered but without any luck. Would you know if there is any other code I could use for this version?
Thank you very much for your help.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Allida Branton -
Jon, I found this string of questions and answers during a search. I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your help. I used the code above with Moodle version 3.5.6 and the Clean theme. It worked perfectly. I am so pleased. The lesson and quiz pages are so much cleaner.
Thanks again,
Allida Branton
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Nilesh Chaskar -

Hello Jon.

I'm using Moodle 4.0 and I've tried to modify the Raw SCSS with all the codes you've offered but its now working for me.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Nilesh

Attachment MoodleNavigation.jpg
In reply to Jon Bolton

by James Thomas -
Good evening,

15 months after the original post, I too would like to be able to remove the Nav buttons from the book. And anywhere else they might appear. I'm using Moodle 3.10.

Thanks

James
In reply to James Thomas

by Marcos Poscai -

Hello, Moodle 3.10.

Theme CSSS

.activity-navigation{
      display:none;
}

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by John Anderson -
Hi, tiny bit off subject, but does anyone know where this code is in Moodle (3.9) ? I want to study it, think it was an odd decision to include topics in the navigation bar, if they didn't contain any activities. And then a to skip them if a topic contained activities. Topics (#sections) often contain important instruction, or learning material for the activity you are about to do.