Boost Campus subtheming

Boost Campus subtheming

by Olli Savolainen -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

We have created a branch off of Boost Campus in our git. However, it would be great if we could subtheme Boost Campus instead of Boost, so we could get updates for both.

Just checking to see if this is so-called supported behaviour - subtheming a theme that is itself a subtheme already - and what kind of issues are foreseeable?

Or is it easier to just have a separate Boost subtheme that is initially a copy of Boost Campus. (Which would mean losing future updates to Boost Campus unless we do manual merges).

Thanks!

Olli

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olli Savolainen

Re: Boost Campus subtheming

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Olli,

I am one of the maintainers of Boost Campus.

Creating a child-child-theme of Boost is officially supported by Moodle. You can have a look at https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-theme_boost_campus_child where we provide a child-theme of Boost Campus whose only purpose is to be able to set a different set of brand colors and RAW SCSS and which will inherit all other settings from the installed Boost Campus instance.
You can also create child-child-themes with different settings, templates, renderers and so on - things just get slightly more complicated.

Before you start to create your child-child-theme, I would like to encourage you to check if your changes could also be incorporated into Boost Campus as settings. If yes, please create an issue on https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-theme_boost_campus/issues and let's discuss it there.

Cheers,
Alex
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alexander Bias

Re: Boost Campus subtheming

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I second the statement by Alex having myself two child themes of Boost Campus up and running, one of which is pretty changed visually.
Best,
Luca