Themes not working in hosted environment

Themes not working in hosted environment

by Celestino Rey -
Number of replies: 4

I have a local installation of Moodle where I make all tests before uploading to my hosted environment.

I have installed different themes for testing and they all work fine in this local set up.

When I replicate the installation in my hosted environment, any theme apart from the standard ones (boost, classic and Moove) simply don't work. What I get is a text layout, i.e. no decorations, no column (see attachment)

My hosting webmaster says that I have a look at the logs but those does not provide information about what could be happening.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Celestino Rey

Re: Themes not working in hosted environment

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Your hosting provider is correct, look at the logs, specifically the one for PHP.

Plus you've not said the version of Moodle or what actual themes don't work.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Celestino Rey -

The thing is that the server does not generate anything when I reload the page with the Adaptable (or other) theme.

Moodle version is 3.7.1 (Build: 20190708), PHP Version 7.3.9.

And one last thing, if I put 

$CFG->themedesignermode = true;

in config.php, then it works.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It won't show the error on the page (you could try developer level debugging at your own risk). You have to look at the PHP log file on the server, the hosting provider should tell you where that is. If its not broken in theme designer mode then clearly something is syntactically incorrect in the CSS etc that is causing the generation of the 'all' CSS file to fail. The 'all' file is all of the CSS in one generated file that is served to the browser.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I wonder if you have all the required php extensions turned on. You might try comparing what you have on your severe to what is on your local install. (Just a thought.)

Also, have you tried from another browser?