Messenger: should students create own groups?

Re: Messenger: should students create own groups?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Remember seeing this topic coming up earlier. I repeat what I always say: schools should not try to be everything, for example not to be communications providers..
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Stefan Schoch -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Fair enough when we're talking about schools.
But I think Moodle is used widely also in corporate and adult learning (as I intent to use it), where I'd agree to Ralf that it would be a usefuly feature.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan Schoch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
While the messaging component is interesting from a communications point of view, it is not per se part of the 'learning realm' of a Moodle instance. It might be considered a good means to facilitate 2-way communications between users, but it can't be directly monitored or moderated by a teacher/instructor as part of creating a safe learning environment for the end users (teachers as well as students).

If you were to enable group messaging in a course context, you should be able to also do that with groups selected through the Group choice activity. I don't know if I'd allow my students to use the Group Self Selection activity and have the 'allow group messaging' setting there.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Joost,

I think in scenarios of self organized learning.
We have something like this in different contexts: primary schools uses often free learning time (see Montessori concepts), in Vocational Training Schools who have up to 50% of the learning time in self structured processes and in corporate training in similar way.
The typical group model in courses is helpful sometimes, but its teacher structured.

Ralf