I think we failed

Re: I think we failed

by Scott Christy -
Number of replies: 0

I was surfing around the web trying to find a justification to continue to fight for Moodle in my district and came across your post. I SO can relate to what you're saying.

Though I'm a teacher and not part of our technology administration, I piloted Moodle in our district more than 8 years ago and have managed our local Moodle server ever since. 

We became a Google Apps district numerous years ago and as an IT teacher I've watched students computing skills decline ever since. Students now struggle with simple things on a non-browser based OS (like making folders and managing files for example!). It's so frustrating...but I digress...

Three years ago the district made Google Classroom it's standard across the district. Those of us still using Moodle, were permitted to be "grandfathered" in and keep using it. I even added features like using the Google repository so students could submit documents from Google Apps, and incorporated SSO so kids could easily log in, hoping to keep Moodle in the game so to speak.

This past spring when covid19 forced us to switch to 100% online instruction in a matter of days, we were told that for consistency for parents and students we had to switch to GC but again, as we were in mid semester when schools closed, those classes already running in Moodle were permitted to finish the year. Unfortunately, that was the end of the battle for Moodlers in our district.

I HATE that I'm going to have to switch to GC this year. It lacks so many features that are integral in my workflow - in particular the grading screen. Further, I'm a business and IT teacher so even though the rest of the district uses Google apps, I still need to function in the MS Office world for our business students as many of the classes I teach are for dual credit.

What is sad is that in our state, every state college uses Microsoft Office and Canvas as it's CMS. Again, I digress but it's a shame that we're producing all these Google apps users who struggle when they get to college or a job because they have to use MS Office and a real CMS.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to vent, commiserate, and mourn the loss of an integral part of what has made me a successful teacher the last 8 years. I'm not looking forward to converting the hundreds and hundreds of resources, assignments, quizzes, and other resources that I've built into my Moodle courses over the years, but unfortunately retirement is still 4 years away. 😎

Average of ratings: Cool (1)