Your server does not seem to fully support the following languages

Your server does not seem to fully support the following languages

од Dominique Bauer -
Број на одговори: 20
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Plugin developers

Hello,

The following message is displayed on my Language packs page. Is it bad? What should I tell the manager of my server?

ForumLanguage-20190909-1814.png

Просек на рејтинзи:Useful (2)
Во одговорот до Dominique Bauer

Re: Your server does not seem to fully support the following languages

од Mary Cooch -
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Moodle HQ Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers Слика од Translators
Hello. Does this tracker issue help? MDL-62728
Во одговорот до Mary Cooch

од Séverin Terrier -
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers Слика од Translators
Hi,

Perhaps the message should include a better explanation that the server should have the (several) locales installed to support the different languages. Or at least a link to a documentation page explaining that.

We're never too much clear, but can generaly suffer too less information...

Séverin

од Germán Valero -
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Plugin developers Слика од Testers Слика од Translators
@Dominique,
What OS are you using?
Во одговорот до Germán Valero

од Dominique Bauer -
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Plugin developers

@Mary, @Séverin, @Germán

Thank you for your replies. I do not have the answers to your questions, but at least now, I know the issue is not trivial and I am better prepared to report it to the site administrator.

од Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Translators
Yep, the topic is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locale_(computer_software). The server should have the locales installed which Moodle needs. If it is a Microsoft server (very likely) watch for this Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0 thing https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35277668/get-request-to-iis-returns-microsoft-httpapi-2-0.

од Dominique Bauer -

Thank you all,

My web administrator has now fixed the problem.

од Pablo Pazos -

For the record, I had the exact same problem and took some time to fix. The issue is, even after installing locales, if Apache is not restarted, Moodle will keep saying the locales are not there. So an important step is to restart Apache after installing the locales (if you are not using Apache, restart your webserver).

BTW, I followed this guide: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Table_of_locales

Во одговорот до Pablo Pazos

од Przemek Kaszubski -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers
Hi, I have just encountered this issue, and what I really find surprising is that the default English pack is questioned in the manner described.

"Your server does not seem to fully support the following languages:

English ‎(en)‎

Instead, the global locale (en_AU.UTF-8) will be used to format certain strings such as dates or numbers."

The server is Debian 10. The installed locales are:
C
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX

as everywhere else i have always used so far.

My Moodle is Moodle 3.7.2+ (Build: 20191030) currently on this machine.

On this page:
https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Language_FAQ#What_do_codes_like_.22en.22_and_.22en_us.22_or_.22es.22_and_.22es_mx.22_and_.22es_ve.22_mean.3F.3F

I read

"en_us" is the English - United States language pack; "en" is Australian English, which is practically the same as British English.

And the page https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Translation_langconfig says:

"parentlanguage,core_langconfig

The original Moodle default Australian language pack has this field empty (as the Australian English language IS the official Moodle language).

If your language pack relies on another one (it is a 'child' language of a 'parent' language), then this is the place to point out which language pack. For most language packs, this should be left empty, to default to English if strings are missing."

Thus, questions : What do I do to fix best my case:

1) Add the en_AU.UTF-8 locale on the server?

2) Instal the en_US language pack from the "Available language packs" on /admin/tool/langimport/ ?

I never had to go through this before. My last Linux instals were with Moodle 3.6.

Many thanks.
Во одговорот до Przemek Kaszubski

од Przemek Kaszubski -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers
Replying to myself, maybe of use to anyone.

After reading this https://discuss.moodlebox.net/d/110-error-message-for-the-language-packs

I went along with:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

selected en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8 on the list

saved with OK

Kept my server default as en_US.UTF-8

OK-ed that

Finally restarted apache:

systemctl restart apache2

And the problem is gone.
Во одговорот до Przemek Kaszubski

од Sven Neuhaus -

I had the same issue with the German language on a server running Ubuntu
16.04 with nginx.
The following steps on the Linux command line fixed the issue:

Во одговорот до Sven Neuhaus

од Gareth J Barnard -
Слика од Core developers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Plugin developers

Thanks Sven,

Was trying to run PHP Unit on Ubuntu 20.04 and got:

Required locale 'en_AU.UTF-8' is not installed.

so:

sudo apt install language-pack-en
sudo service apache2 reload

worked for me.

Gareth

Во одговорот до Gareth J Barnard

од Benoit Maisonny -

I was surprised we'd have to actually install the Linux language pack on the server in order to support a language pack in Moodle. That is a few MB each and brings not just the locales but in fact a complete translation of Linux itself. It turns out it isn't necessary. Moodle only needs the locale definition, not the Linux language pack.

On a Ubuntu 20.04 system with nginx rather than Apache, I just do:

locale-gen fr_FR.UTF-8 en_GB.UTF-8
systemctl reload nginx
systemctl reload php7.4-fpm

locale-gen generates the locale information that Moodle needs. It takes a list of locales. Without any parameter, it will generate all locales for all installed Linux language packs. Available locales are listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. For example, the command "grep es_ /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED" lists all Spanish locales. There's a catch here: when adding a "parent" language pack in Moodle (e.g. es for international Spanish), one needs to install the main locale in Linux, named with a country code (e.g. "es_ES", from Spain). Likewise, "ar" in Moodle is "ar_SA" in Linux, "fr" is "fr_FR", and so on.

Because I'm using nginx and the PHP-nginx adapter, I need to reload both services.

Во одговорот до Benoit Maisonny

од David Mudrák -
Слика од Core developers Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Moodle HQ Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Peer reviewers Слика од Plugin developers Слика од Plugins guardians Слика од Testers Слика од Translators

Thank you Benoit for sharing this useful tip.

Just to clarify, I don't think there was any intention to suggest that installing these packages is mandatory. And if you are aware of a place that claims it, it shall be fixed. It's just one of the ways to get the thing done and for many administrator, the easiest one.

Во одговорот до David Mudrák

од Benoit Maisonny -
Indeed, I only saw the instruction in messages above. It makes sense when installing only 1 language besides English on the server, if the server administrator wants to see system messages in that language. I wanted to install multiple languages in Moodle only, without installing them on the Linux server as well.

од Lev Zadumkin -
Same problem with clean install last Moodle 3.10 on the last Centos 8 - we need russian locale ru_RU.utf8, so:
1) check, that locale missing in the system, list all installed locales
localectl list-locales
2) install russian locale
dnf install glibc-langpack-ru
3) restart web-server
systemctl restart nginx
systemctl restart php-fpm

Centos is still not documented in this manual, oddly.

Во одговорот до Lev Zadumkin

од koen roggemans -
Слика од Core developers Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Moodle HQ Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Plugin developers Слика од Translators
The install locales on server stuff is documented on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Table_of_locales#Support_in_operating_systems
It gives you a way to install all locales on your servers, so this message never shows up if someone would install another language.
Feel free to add the CentOS way if you figured it out.

од Hal MacLean -

Just to add to the many good messages in this thread - I had reason to update the locales on Ubuntu 18 for a server in Singapore. Three languages are running in Moodle - English (GB), Tagalog and Filipino (both get installed if you choose one of those in Moodle). The Language Customisation page was telling me that the required info was not on the server and Moodle was defaulting to AU...

To fix:

1 - log into your server with the command line, and depending on your flavour of Linux, and your permission levels (you may not need the 'sudo' bit), run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

2 - A pink screen will open asking you to select the locales that you want. Scroll through using the arrow keys, and select using the space bar all that you need... or select 'ALL' at the top of the list. 

3 - hit the return key and follow the prompts (it'll ask you which you want as your default) until you are back at the command line. The system will tell you it is generating the locales:

list of locales being generated within Ubuntu 18 command line

4 - type: sudo apache2ctl restart
(again, depending on your level of privilege - you may not need to type 'sudo'... but I do)

The system will restart apache and in doing that will restart PHP too. If you then refresh the page in your Moodle you should see the error message about languages has gone.

Took me a moment or two to remember to use the 'Space' bar for making the selection on the pink page... not enough caffeine, clearly.

Во одговорот до Hal MacLean

од Jason Hollowell -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers
Ok, I'm going quite batty with this one. I have the "Your server does not seem to fully support...." error message. It's giving me that with English (EN). I'm running Moodle 3.10.1+ on Ubuntu 20.04.02 MySql and PHP 7.4. I've installed all locales, restarted Apache, then restarted the entire server because nothing was working. I'm still getting the error. sad

To be clear, I have tried all of the following:

sudo apt install locales-all && sudo locale-gen

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales (selected all)

sudo apt install language-pack-en

Restarted, cleared cache (out of desperation wink )...but still have the error.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

P.S. Wait...I just noticed that on my server, the command  ~$ locale -a

Gives me only:

C
C.UTF-8
POSIX
en_US.utf8

??? Why is that when I ran sudo apt install locales-all && sudo locale-gen...hmmm
Во одговорот до Jason Hollowell

од Jason Hollowell -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers
Darn! Too late to edit. 😱

Ok, like Hal mentioned above, don't forget to use the space bar to select the items you want. 😊 I thought I'd installed all locales but in fact had not. I'm installing all now...a very long list and assume (as dangerous as it is to do that) that everything will be fixed when they are all installed. 

Cheers
Jason