H5P translations

Re: H5P translations

by Randy Thornton -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Germán,

I think the whole issue of how the modules (aka library files or content types) will be managed is a big question. If the new plugin in Moodle 3.8 replaces the H5P supplied plugin, but does not have any way to manage those library files, but each Moodle site must still pull them from the H5P hub (or hunt around to get them to update manually), that is not really an improvement. Version control now really doesn't even exist for those library files and those are the important part. Users actually use those, so how those language files get timely updates is vital.

What if those library files could be pulled from Github without having to wait for H5P to bundle them up their releases? What if those strings could be pulled / pushed into AMOS so language maintainers could provide the various Moodle languages back to H5P as well?

If the content type modules were treated as subplugins of the main H5P plugin (similar say to what Custom Certificate and others do now), that would solve the problem. But it then means HQ must manage those library files on their way into Moodle as proper plugins just as they will be managing the way the main H5P plugin gets into Moodle. Hopefully, this is the eventual plan, as I don't see any other reasonable way to do it, since the package formats of the content files (which are mostly json) are not like Moodle plugins, and the strings are not the same as AMOS based strings. Some sort of conversion tool would have to be built, I would think.

Randy