Can teacher add personal (private) notes or comments to grade book?

Can teacher add personal (private) notes or comments to grade book?

by J.. Holtz... -
Number of replies: 9

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible for a teacher to add a personal/private note to a student's assignment or final grade for a course? I know how to leave a comment and feedback that the student can see but I would like be able to make notes that only I can see.

E.g I would like to create a note that explains to myself why I gave a student a B+ grade and not a B.

The notes have to be at least per student per course, or even better if I can make a note per student per assignment.

I know how to add user notes but would like to know if there is a place to make personal notes during the grading process and linked to the grade book.

Thanks.

In reply to J.. Holtz...

Re: Can teacher add personal (private) notes or comments to grade book?

by Cameron Hallowell -
Please let me know if you have any luck with this. We are dealing with more Academic integrity issues and I am looking for a way to track 0 for non-submissions and 0 for Academic Integrity issues
In reply to J.. Holtz...

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Would love to know if you found a way to do this. I've had a request for exactly this ability.
In reply to J.. Holtz...

by Beatriz Rojo -
Same here, we would need this possibility.
In reply to J.. Holtz...

by Eduardo Gutiérrez -
In reply to Eduardo Gutiérrez

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Next step - go to the Moodle Tracker site and add in this suggestion. Paste a link to this forum innit as well.
In reply to John Provasnik

by Karl Larsen -
My institute recently forced a change from Blackboard to Moodle, and some things that were simple are no longer so.   I want to create a column in the Grade Book that simply contains text that I enter directly.... I think this is what has been discussed here on this page.  For example, I want to list which assignment option selected, or a note (Yes or No) on whether they attended a field  trip or not.   I think this is the same issue discussed here on this page - it applies whether I want to keep it hidden from the student or not If so, did it get moved over to the Moodle Tracker site (I took a look and couldn't find it).  
In reply to Karl Larsen

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
One option would be to go to "Gradebook Setup" in the Administration block.
Scroll to the bottom fo the Setup page, and click "Add Grade Item" -- give the grade item a name, such as "Teacher Notes" and set the maximum grade to "0" and save. It will then appear at the bottom of the gradebook - you can move it to the top if you wish. Either way, click "Edit -- Hide" so students cannot see it.
You now have a column where you can add notes that will not be worth any points and the students will not see it. You can even use the Single View to make several Notes at one time. Since it's a grade item, it does not appear on the course page itself.
You can add in as many of these 'grade items' as you need.
In reply to John Provasnik

by Karl Larsen -

Ah, this sounded so elegant, John! smile   But, when I go to do this,  several things happen -   first off, I tried to create a grade item as you suggested (I selected Text format).   And then I set the maximum grade to zero (again as you suggested).   BUT then I get an error message saying the maximum grade must be higher than the minimum grade.   And if I ignore this and hit save, I do indeed get the item showing up at the bottom of the gradebook, but I cannot edit it (i.e. add anything).    I must still be doing something wrong.    

Thanks so much for the help.   -  KL

In reply to Karl Larsen

by Cameron Hallowell -
Thanks John, I have kind of got it working, I would love to have all the comments visible in the Grader report without the "Turn Editing on". Not all users will have editing rights. The text comments appear in user report but when you have 500 students looking at them individually doesn't work