Is there a way to send an automated series of emails to students when they complete the course?

Is there a way to send an automated series of emails to students when they complete the course?

by Ian L -
Number of replies: 3

I have been looking at autoresponders like mailchimp, but I am wondering if there is a way to do this with moodle.

I want to send weekly tips and the course in review for like a year after they complete the course.

I saw a plugin called reengagement but I wasn't sure if this just can send one email or more.

Or is there something else?

On 3.7.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian L

Re: Is there a way to send an automated series of emails to students when they complete the course?

by Onno Schuit -
In a word, no. The closest thing is the event monitoring rules (See https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Event_monitoring#How_to_create_or_manage_a_rule), which let you send an email upon course completion (or many other events) - but only to yourself.

You could ask a developer to create a local plugin which implements an autoresponder. (Just don't ask them to duplicate Mailchimp wholesale though, as that would be prohibitively expensive, and send them the wrong signal that you're maybe not serious about this.)
In reply to Ian L

Re: Is there a way to send an automated series of emails to students when they complete the course?

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There are a couple of plugins for Moodle that can trigger a web hook when a Moodle event occurs. You can use this to ping a service like Zapier or IFTTT which will then relay your information to MailChimp (or Infusionsoft or whatever) to set up the autoresponder sequence. I know thats a head spin at first. But the result is that you can set up auto responders based on events in Moodle without any coding at all.

You can see some discussions about those plugins here:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=378947
In reply to Ian L

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
each instance of the Reengagment activity can be configured to send the same e-mail text multiple times on a schedule, however if you want different text to appear in each email (eg a different tip) you would need to set up multiple reengagment activity instances in your site. - one for each "tip"

It might be possible to do this with reengagement but I'm not sure it would be the most efficient - I'm not aware of anything else built into moodle to facilitate this (although Justin's suggestion of zapier/ifttt could be an easier way to do it.)