How to handle custom fields in 3.7 child theme?

How to handle custom fields in 3.7 child theme?

by Renaat Debleu -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

How to handle custom fields when using a Boost or Classic child theme in 3.7? When running Behat, my child themes throw several general exceptions:

vendor/bin/behat --config behat/behat.yml --profile="firefox" --suite="testtheme"

001 Scenario: For the courses that existed before the custom field was created the default value is displayed
# customfield/field/textarea/tests/behat/default_value.feature:48
       And I log out
# customfield/field/textarea/tests/behat/default_value.feature:46
Moodle exception:  Exception - Class 'theme_testtheme\output\core\core_course\customfield\course_handler' not found
More information about this error
       Debug info:
       Error code: generalexceptionmessage
       (Exception)

Does anybody sees the same exceptions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Renaat Debleu

Re: How to handle custom fields in 3.7 child theme?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, 

Sorry, but I know very little if anything at all about Behat, to be truthful, however I found this which may help you?

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Running_acceptance_test

If nothing else you may find that some of the people who contributed to that document may have a better understanding of the problems you have encountered.

If no-one answers your questions here, it might be better to ask in the General Forum and at the same time add a link to this Forum post. That way you might get more people reading it and offering you advice!

Hope you found this helpful?

Cheers

Mary

by john lennon -
Did you ever fix this? Same issue on my end.
In reply to john lennon

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I fixed this (temporarly) by removing the use of customfields in my theme renderer.

When I talked about these errors with Bas Brands in the latest Moot in Barcelona, he could only advise me to raise a new issue in the tracker. Now that somebody else spotted the same behaviour, perhaps it is time to create a new tracker issue.

by john lennon -
A new tracker issue ounds reasonable to me. I also fixed the issue by blatantly removing customfields from my theme renderer. Tried everything I could, but for some reason I can't call the customfield\course_handler, no matter what I try.
In reply to john lennon

by Renaat Debleu -

No new tracker issue created because I found a solution modifying the course_renderer:

theme/my_theme/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php
++ use core_course\customfield\course_handler;
++ use core_customfield\data_controller;
++ use core_customfield\field_controller;

protected function coursecat_coursebox_content(\coursecat_helper $chelper, $course) {
// Display custom fields.
if ($course->has_custom_fields()) {
   -- $handler = core_course\customfield\course_handler::create();
++ $handler = \core_course\customfield\course_handler::create();
   $customfields = $handler->display_custom_fields_data($course->get_custom_fields());
   $content .= \html_writer::tag('div', $customfields, ['class' => 'customfields-container']);
}