Solr searching not working properly

Solr searching not working properly

by Tyler Bogdan -
Number of replies: 6
I have followed all the instructions on how to install Solr global search as is listed on on this page. Solr is installed.  I can view it on the server at localhost:8983/solr.  I can query all the entries from that solr collection on the Query page of the solr console with the q of *:*. 

In moodle, when I do a global search of *.* I get the same results.  If I put in 'title:practice' I also get results.  If I just put in 'practice' I get no results.  I cannot figure out why!  Surely it can't be required of the users to prepend their search with 'title' or 'content' in order to get results.

Moodle: Moodle 3.7+ (Build: 20190620)
Database: mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.2.26-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
PHP: PHP 7.1.31 (cli)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tyler Bogdan

Re: Solr searching not working properly

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am going to venture a guess that your question is beyond the intended scope of these forums and is more a Solr question than a moodle one.

Having said that ... maybe the following will help:

*.* suggest thinking like DOS/Windows ... a global all?
Wonder what that would return (if solr/lucene could) to a browser and if the browser could actually handle all that data? (all of internet?)

'Deep dive' into Solr Search:
http://www.solrtutorial.com/solr-query-syntax.html

On page above:
Wildcard matching
Note that Lucene doesn't support using a * symbol as the first character of a search.

http://www.solrtutorial.com/schema-xml.html

And saw a warning that once a site is indexed, should not change scheme.xml.

Will defer this response to any programmer of Moodle that worked on Solr search, however! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tyler Bogdan -
I apologize, when I said *.* I actually meant *:*

I don't know that this is a 'solr' problem per se. I guess I need to know in what format moodle sends it's regular one-word queries to solr. I did a bunch of config to solr in order to set up a default search field. Within the solr UI I could punch in my keyword of 'practice' by itself and get the appropriate results. Within moodle I still got no results. I don't know what moodle is sending to solr to get results but maybe it's modifying it in some way?
In reply to Tyler Bogdan

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When I used to run it, the only thing I re-call doing was the solr command to create the moodle index.  No tweaking out side of that.

Isn't there a setup screen in moodle for solr search that has an 'index' link?  If not, there is a CLI way @

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Global_search

General Setup section #5

which says:

You now need to populate the created Solr index with your site's data. You can do it via the web interface by going to Site administration > Reports > Global search info or from the CLI by running the search/cli/indexer.php script. The CLI script is the recommended option for big sites.

# sudo -u www-run php search/cli/indexer.php --force
Comment: because of the additional setup/software ... java, etc ... which, to me, added to the attack vectors of server, I opted to use the now built in "Simple Search".   Yes, probably not as powerful, but maybe just enough?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tyler Bogdan -
I would be happy with Simple Search but sadly it is also broken and I can't figure that out either. Perhaps a matter for a new forum thread.
In reply to Tyler Bogdan

by Dylan Keys -

Experiencing the exact same issues here Tyler.

• Moodle 3.5.10
  • Solr 5.5.5
  • Ubuntu 16.04
  • MySQL 5.7.17

Have you made any progress with this?

In reply to Dylan Keys

by Tyler Bogdan -
Hi Dylan,

Sadly, I never got this to work and switched back to Simple search.