Lectora SCORM packages not saving progress on iOS/iPhone/iPad

Lectora SCORM packages not saving progress on iOS/iPhone/iPad

by Mathew Gancarz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers

Good morning,

It looks like Lectora SCORM packages are not saving mid-module progress when a person is using an iOS device. It works with Google Chrome and IE11 on Windows as well as Google Chrome on my Samsung phone. It works when we have the modules up on Scorm Cloud also, with every device I test. I created a tracker issue for this also but wanted to post here for more visibility in case someone has run into this before: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66545

Steps to reproduce are:

1) Open a module that has 'resume where you left off' functionality on an iOS device

2) Go a few pages into it but do not complete it all the way.

3) Exit it and go back in, it should prompt to resume where you left off, but it does not.

We did also notice that if you complete a module partially on desktop, and then resume it on an iOS device, it does properly read the resume state and prompt to resume where the person left off, but it does not save any progress while on the iOS device.

Playing around with the SCORM API Debugging, it looks to me like the LMSCommit() never fires when closing the window on iOS. The cmi.core.lesson_location variable does not get updated. Manually pressing the LMSCommit() does fix the issue, so it is something about the way iOS exits the module that is preventing the commit from happening.

I know I'm in the minority as a Lectora user but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this problem? We're on Moodle 3.5.7+ (Build 20190712) but also tested on Moodle Cloud 3.7.1 (Build 20190708).

We're using Lectora 17.1.7 modules but also older modules built in Lectora 12, that had saved progress before we went to Moodle 3.5. I'm not sure there was an iOS change or Moodle change though that's causing this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathew Gancarz

Re: Lectora SCORM packages not saving progress on iOS/iPhone/iPad

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I used to use lectora and miss it so much but when I did, modules definitely behave differently on various types of mobile devices...you can build for mobile but with each device doing its own thing, there are no guarantees that it will work across all...Anchors, for example, massive head ache for me, on mobile devices, they don't function properly. I know this probably doesn't help, but consider it moral support. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Mathew Gancarz -

Thanks Melanie. It does seem to be specifically related to the data from the package not being committed to Moodle when the window closes. It does appear to work in Scorm Cloud atleast, so I'm thinking it's something about the way Lectora and Moodle interact specifically.

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In my previous life, we had to include "outro" student instructions within the course such as, "Select the Close Course Button" do not close the window or you will loose your progress.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Mathew Gancarz -
Thanks Shirley, we did try the "Exit Activity" button that Moodle shows in the top right but that also does not trigger the Lectora module to commit it's data. Dan Marsden suggested using the "Auto-commit" option to try and reduce the magnitude of the problem a bit, and atleast that does appear to work, with progress being saved once a minute.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)