Maximum number of attempts at assignment

Maximum number of attempts at assignment

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I have a question about the maximum number of attempts of an assignment. This is from Moodle docs:

If a student is allowed to resubmit, this setting will determine how many times they can resubmit before they are no longer allowed to do so. (For example, if a student has to keep trying until they get a pass grade, the teacher might decide that ten attempts is enough even though they have not yet passed!)

Does this mean the attempts a student can submit only after it has been graded?

I wanted to set up an assignment where students can only submit once before grading, and can't go back in to submit again. This is because the assignment has to be done in one hour on the day, but I can't put a due date as it is a revolving assignment with different students all the time/ all days. I don't want to use a quiz for this as I find the marking a bit confusing, and it is marked based on a rubric.

Additionally, the assignment appears to be locked at 'unlimited' attempts, I checked in the Administration settings for assignment activity and it is set as unlimited there too. I don't want to change it on the admin side because I have different kinds of requirements for different assignments. How do I change the assignment settings to just have 1 attempt allowed?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathryn Woodhead

Re: Maximum number of attempts at assignment

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Submission Types section- Maximum number of uploaded files = 1. One allowed for the student.
Submission settings = Attempts reopened = Never
Maximum Attempts = unlimited value will be displayed, if Never was selected for the Submission settings.

Locking the grade is not available on the grading pages when you use a Marking Guide or a Rubric.
Select View All Assignments to adjust your Lock or Unlock submissions setting as appropriate for your course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Hi, if I click 'View all assignments' and lock submission settings, will this prevent ALL students from being able to submit, or just the ones that have already submitted?
In reply to Kathryn Woodhead

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
If you select View All Assignments, each student is displayed with an Edit>dropdown list
Update Grade
Prevent submission changes (lock the submission)
Edit Submission

You can select each student manually to lock only those as appropriate.

It appears for the Quick Grade method you can manually lock students from resubmitting.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)