SCORMs on Moodle Desktop app

Re: SCORMs on Moodle Desktop app

by Isabel Renedo -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Crystal,

Can you send one of these SCORMs to mobile@moodle.com so we can check it? Please include a reference to this post so we can track it easily

Regards,
Isabel
In reply to Isabel Renedo

by Rakesh Rathi -

Hi. I am also facing the same problem. Running the desktop app on Windows 10. 

Log-in---ok

Available courses --- ok

Then when I click on one of the SCORM packages if the course, it says "loading" for a minute or two and then the screen just goes blank.

In reply to Rakesh Rathi

by Acqua Alta -

I'm not too familiar with SCORM, but I guess that people who know more than me would ask first:

Does the SCORM package run OK when using the browser (web version of Moodle)?

In reply to Acqua Alta

by Udo Nowak -

YES, That's what Chrystl mentioned in her first post:

All the SCORMs work fine on the normal Moodle site, and on the Android and iOS apps. It’s only the Windows desktop app that doesn’t like them.

In reply to Udo Nowak

by Crystal Cooper -

Yes, exactly as Udo said. I've sent some SCORMs as Isabel suggested but no response as yet. I'll update this post when I know more.

In reply to Crystal Cooper

by Rakesh Rathi -

Hi Crystal, did you get any solution from Isabel? 

In reply to Rakesh Rathi

by Crystal Cooper -
Sorry, I've been out of the office. I did get a reply from Isabel, but it didn't solve the problem. The SCORMs I sent that didn't work for us, did work on the version they tested on - Moodle Desktop 3.7.2 in Windows 10, and Moodle 3.5.8+ (Build: 20190927).
We've since upgraded our test site to Moodle 3.7 so need to do some further testing with that version to see if we can get anywhere.
In reply to Udo Nowak

by Rakesh Rathi -

The version available on Microsoft Store is problematic. The Windows 7 & 8 installer works just fine. 

https://download.moodle.org/desktop/

Under "Other Downloads"

In reply to Rakesh Rathi

by Rakesh Rathi -

No, problem still persists. 

My course has 10 SCORM packages. 9 of them less than 100 mb, one is more than 100 mb. It is this one which is more than 100 mb which doesn’t download and crashes the system. Have increased user quota in site administration, but didn’t help. 

The app works fine on my iPhone. The more than 100 mb package also downloaded without a problem. It is the windows desktop app that is giving this problem. 

In reply to Udo Nowak

by Acqua Alta -
Maybe the original message was edited after my reply, maybe the info was there from the beginning and I was too tired wink
In reply to Isabel Renedo

by Mark Webster -
Hi, we've been doing some investigation with a debug build of the app and have noticed that the SCORMs that crash to a white screen have the same error message in the console immediately before:
10/31/2019 10:08:25 AM CoreMimetypeUtilsProvider: Get file extension: Not valid extension tmp
(anonymous) @ main.js:3401
CoreMimetypeUtilsProvider.getFileExtension @ main.js:16546
(anonymous) @ main.js:158343
readFileAfterClose @ fs.js:511

Hopefully you can provide some insight as to what might be causing this? I reiterate the point that the SCORMs themselves work fine in everything else (browser and app on mobile), it's only the desktop build that has issues.

In reply to Mark Webster

by Mark Webster -
Bump. Could really use a reply for this. Thanks.
In reply to Mark Webster

by Crystal Cooper -
Another bump now that the new year has started. I’ve tried emailing Moodle support directly but no joy. Any ideas why we're seeing the error that Mark reported above?
In reply to Crystal Cooper

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

sorry for the delay in answering. That warning can be ignored. The app always downloads the files with "tmp" extension and then they're renamed to the final name. E.g. we create a file named "myscorm.zip.tmp" and then we rename it to "myscorm.zip". We do it like this to prevent deleting the existing file if the download fails when updating a file that already exists. Some of our file system functions validate the extension and show a warning if it's not a valid one, that's why that message is displayed. We should probably stop showing the warning in this case.

I also see that warning in the console but the SCORM works fine in my Windows 10, so the error is caused by something else. One of the posts above mentions big SCORM packages, but the ones you sent us to test have a low size (2.5MB and 14MB). If those ones are failing for you it shouldn't be related to the SCORM size.

We still haven't been able to reproduce the issue, so unfortunately we can't provide a solution triste

We'll pay special attention to SCORM packages and Windows in our next release of the Moodle Desktop app.
In reply to Dani Palou

by Dale Davies -

I've been looking at a very similar issue, we've had some SCORM files that get stuck on the loading spinner and your patch from here appears to have fixed that (in the few I've just tested anyway)...  https://github.com/moodlehq/moodleapp/pull/1545/commits/06bc1c1bfe413cd0dad011adf6cf353317d9b2aa

However, I have some larger SCORM files (>100MB) that are not getting past the "downloading" stage, with dev tools open in the electron app the debugger pauses saying it is about to run out of memory. Looking at the task manager I can see that the memory usage jumps up quickly just before this, in this case consuming several GB before I assume chrome kills it, which again I'm assuming is why the page then goes blank?

I'm not sure exactly where to go from here but hoping this might give a little more insight.

In reply to Dani Palou

by Dale Davies -
Further to my previous reply, I wonder if there could actually be two problems. One related to the app.min.js file being corrupted, and perhaps some memory leak with larger scorms?