[3.7]Course backup fails

Re: [3.7]Course backup fails

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It's a new feature in 3.7 and off by default.

Here's another one of those '80's things' ... or any GUI interface you have into server outside of Moodle that can browse files.

Hints/clues might be in your moodledata/temp/backup/

Is a d45986723ed5486d32e2784696ed45ef.log file present?

Is it larger than 0 bytes?   If so, view it's contents.

Have a 3.7.1+ (Build: 20190816) system with only one large course (24+Meg) and tested this new feature.   Finished ... no error ... and the .log file for it showed 0 bytes ... nothing in it.   But yours might.

Also ... by chance do you have automated backups turned on?

Too bad you don't like 80's ... one could test backing up same course from command line script in moodlecode/admin/cli/ ... backup.php ... with options to save that backup outside of the sea of files in moodledata/filedir/

If you stay on the screen where it shows progress rather than clicking away does it eventually completed? or is that what you did ... stayed ... it showed 100% in red and also failed.  Wonder if it was really close but just timed out on the very last step of backup ...

The very last thing the backup routine does ... any method/means ... is copy the .mbz file in moodledata/temp/backup/asdfadfasdfad dir to whereever the destination is to be.   In your case am imagining for your system that would be the sea of files in moodledata/filedir/

What, if anything, is remaining in your moodledata/temp/backup/asdfadfasdfad dir?  If you see a .mbz file there ... system could not copy.

How large is that file?

No errors in apache error logs?

If you browse restore in that course is there a backup already there so you can get an idea of how large the course backup might be?

'SoS' ... a don't mind 80's guy! smile

Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Ken Task

by Richard van Iwaarden -

Ken you are (after David Hasselhoff) my favorite 80's guy.. so don't worry smile

Is a d45986723ed5486d32e2784696ed45ef.log file present?

No, this file is not present. But many, many other files are present smile

Other backups are good though, no problems. Automatic backup is also working OK (and set up from command line prompt the way you once explained to me - so thanks again!)

If you stay on the screen where it shows progress rather than clicking away does it eventually completed? or is that what you did ... stayed ... it showed 100% in red and also failed.  Wonder if it was really close but just timed out on the very last step of backup ..

Yep, that's what happens. It's a big course with lots of questions in the question bank, so i Think it fails on that. It runs in green to 99.60%, then 100% but red and failed.

I have one other clue though. I ended up making a copy of this course (the way I needed) using the 'import' function. So, I first created the new course, used import and imported the old course. During import I got this warning:

Warning

• The role in the backup file cannot be mapped to any of the roles that you are allowed to assign.
That also might be the problem: the backup fails because of some weird role.

I have asked you this before, but can I clear the moodledata/temp/backup/ ? I think I can. Right now there are 6000 log files... who needs them?

Thanks again!

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Ken Task -

Yes, you can manually remove anything in moodledata/temp/backup/ that's not an active backup in progress of building.

Is a directory *like*:

d45986723ed5486d32e2784696ed45ef

present?

If so, what's in it?   If you see a .mbz file there, the backup did complete but, for some reason, can't *copy* the .mbz to it's destination for some reason.  But, one can *mv* it to a destination manually ... yeah, I know you want it to work, if you 'mv' you have at least one good backup. smile

Also, might get a clue about quizzes by looking at questions.xml if present.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Sorry, didn't reply in full. There was no directory d45986723ed5486d32e2784696ed45ef present.

Like I said above: I think it had to do with the roles