Guidance required for small music school - Course vs Cohort and external exams

Re: Guidance required for small music school - Course vs Cohort and external exams

by Brendon Hatcher -
Number of replies: 0

We provide small group Music Lessons over 5 different instruments.

Each instrument = a category

Each school course = a moodle course

each student can be enrolled in Multiple instruments

Enrol students manually for each course

Each family may have several children enrolled and therefore may require a single parent login

This may be tricky, depending on the requirements.
Creating a new role and setting access control is easy.
Associating 1 to x students to their parent is the tricky bit.
Have a look at a mentor function.  Parents = mentors of the students assigned to them

The lessons are on the same day and time every week with the same teacher eg Guitar Teacher Monday 19:00

Potentially track attendance for the weekly classes

There are plugins for face.
https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=36

there is no end date to the lessons and students can potentially stay in the same group for a number of year (9 is the longest so far from Debut to Grade 8 and then on to diploma)

Course end date not activated

each of the students may take an external exam (i.e. rockschool instrument graded exam) however this is not compulsory.  In addition the students may take a number of grades over several years.

create the Exams  and levels

Enrol a student for an exam

Update with the result

If exams build towards the completion of a course, then they need to be part of the course, set to require a passing grade, and have activity completion turned on

Create an assignment
Turn off all the submission types
Enter their grade for the exam

If the exam is not part of a course, but you want to capture the grades:

Make a course that holds just the exam, then use the above method to capture the results.
Disable all student enrolment functions so that only you can add them to the course and load their exam results

Add documents that can be seen by all students 

Add documents that can only be seen by "Instrument X" students

Add as resources to a topic in a course

Add documents that can only be seen by "Instrument Class X" students

I don't understand the difference from the last item.  Please clarify.

Add weekly homework reminders for each class

Use the assignments function
Set a due date
Use the reminder function

2.  What is the best way to set these exams up in the system.  My initial thoughts are to set up each of the grades up as a new course (e.g. RSL Keyboard Grade 1, RSL Keyboard Grade 2, RSL Keyboard Grade 3) which i understand for the first sitting for the year however will I need to create a new "course" for the second sitting in the academic year or for the following year or am I able to enrol all of the students taking sitting 1 and then enrol all of the students using the same course for sitting 2 - what is the best way to do this?

Use cohorts or groups to identify the students in each sitting.
Decide which by looking at the various options for pulling a report of grades.
You will probably need a way to be able to filter the report to show only students from a specific sitting of the exam.

Enrol them all in the same course and enter their grades.
Just let the gradebook grow year after year

Regards
Brendon