We are a small music School looking to provide a student portal for access to homework and school related documents.
I have experience setting up a moodle site on an earlier version as part of my teaching for an FE (UK College level). however this was for a recurring course which was graded and the same content was delivered to a new group of students the following year.
The implementation that we are looking into now is a different structure and therefore I need some guidance. I have read through the user guides but am now confused with the terminology. specifically the difference between cohort, and course
our setup is as follows.
- We provide small group Music Lessons over 5 different instruments.
- each student can be enrolled in Multiple instruments
- Each family may have several children enrolled and therefore may require a single parent login
- The lessons are on the same day and time every week with the same teacher eg Guitar Teacher Monday 19:00
- there is no end date to the lessons and students can potentially stay in the same group for a number of year (9 is the longest so far from Debut to Grade 8 and then on to diploma)
- each of the students may take an external exam (i.e. rockschool instrument graded exam) however this is not compulsory. In addition the students may take a number of grades over several years.
I need to be able to;
- Add documents that can be seen by all students
- Add documents that can only be seen by "Instrument X" students
- Add documents that can only be seen by "Instument Class X" students
- Add weekly homework reminders for each class
- potentially track attendance for the weekly classes
- create the Exams and levels
- Enrol a student for an exam
- Update with the result
before looking into Moodle we have a website based in Joomla! which utilised the custom defined User Access Control levels, combined with custom defined categories to display "dated pages" for the weekly homework as well as showing relevant documents (subject to meeting the UAC) however this feels clunky and I am looking for a more elegant solution.
I am happy to work through the forums to work out how to set up the system however I am struggling with the above list.
I have been able to set up a course with a start date and no end date and also subscribe a student to the course.
Using the topics I have been able to add the weekly homework
I am happy with this overall. However i now come on to the Exams
For example RSL Guitar Grade 1
- we may have Guitar exams twice a year.
- Any student may be able to sit the exam
- We need to track the examination results.
- The exam does not relate directly to the course that they are on (some students will opt not to do the exams therefore the class is not "Graded" in the traditional sense
I have seen the "Manual grade items" posts however these appear to be connected to a specific class.
My question is twofold .
1. Is there a way of using moodle to track attendance for lessons
2. What is the best way to set these exams up in the system. My initial thoughts are to set up each of the grades up as a new course (e.g. RSL Keyboard Grade 1, RSL Keyboard Grade 2, RSL Keyboard Grade 3) which i understand for the first sitting for the year however will I need to create a new "course" for the second sitting in the academic year or for the following year or am I able to enrol all of the students taking sitting 1 and then enrol all of the students using the same course for sitting 2 - what is the best way to do this?
I hope it all makes sense - please ask for clarification if needed.