The difference between Group submission: Groupings and Common module settings: Groupings options?

The difference between Group submission: Groupings and Common module settings: Groupings options?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 2

I tried to read the Groupings documentation, but I was unable to understand the difference between the Group submission: Groupings for student groups and Common module settings: Groupings options?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: The difference between Group submission: Groupings and Common module settings: Groupings options?

by Acqua Alta -
Hi Samuli,
The two areas serve two different purposes.

The "Groupings for student groups" setting under the "Group submission settings" area is relevant when you want only students that belong to groups in a specific grouping to submit their work, and of course to submit as a group.

The "Grouping" setting under "Common module settings" is relevant when you want to control how the activity would work with groups and let you filter its data and/or audience.
For example, let's choose the default "Announcements" forum that exist in each new course. If you would choose "Separate groups" or "Visible groups", and enter the activity, you would see that now a dropdown appears at the top of the activity, that let you choose a specific group that you can write to (and not the entire course). The same goes for assignment - in group mode you can filter a specific group so only its students submission would appear in the submissions table.
The "Grouping" setting, of course, is relevant when one you want to limit the group mode to a specific grouping.

I hope it's clear. I don't have much time to edit this answer, and wanted to give you an answer as soon as possible.
In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: The difference between Group submission: Groupings and Common module settings: Groupings options?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Thank you for the reply, I think I get this a bit better now.

A follow up question: what essentially are the effects of selecting "Separate groups" and the a selected grouping say "Grouping A" in the Common Module Settings, if the group access restriction is not set? A student in "Grouping B" can still submit the Assignment. The teacher can see all the students, but the selections for the groups are limited to the groups from Grouping A. Is this limited student list selection filter the only effect this setting has?