Collapsed Topics hidden topic text colour

Collapsed Topics hidden topic text colour

by Ian Lfp -
Number of replies: 10

Hi All,

My first post as I haven't been able to find an answer to this (but if it does exists elsewhere then the link would be great).

I'm using the excellent Collapsed Topics, and I've used the "Course Format" settings to change the "toggle foreground", "toggle foreground hover", "toggle background" and "toggle background hover" colours to white text on a blue background. This looks great and really livens up the course compared to the default grey. The issue that I have is that when the topic is hidden the text is dark grey which is hard to read against the blue, see image below. I suspect that this is part of the core settings of Moodle rather than to do with Collapsed Topics directly. What I'd like to do is change the hidden topic text colour to something that is more readable against the blue. I'm hoping that I can target this with CSS, but can't find the CSS selector name. Is anyone able to help with this (or indeed with a different solution)?

Thank you.

Ian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Lfp

Re: Collapsed Topics hidden topic text colour

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ian,

Odd as the colour should be from the theme.  Anyway, try ".course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content.sectionhidden h3.sectionname".

Plus strange as I can't replicate the issue, so what:

1. Moodle version.
  2. Theme version and name.
  3. CT version.

Please.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Might Ian also simply try to change some of these settings in the course?
Attachment CT Settings.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ian Lfp -
Hi Gareth,

Thank you.

It turns out that it isn't as straightforward as I'd first thought. While trying to over-ride the colour using CSS (which I couldn't get to work) I realised that this situation only occurs when editing is turned on. When editing is turned off it is showing as expected with white text on the blue background (screenshot below). 

These are the specs:

Moodle 3.5+ (Build: 20180621)
Boost (2018051400)
Collapsed Topics 3.4.0.2 (2017110301)

I've just checked on the version information of CT and it seems that Moodle 3.5 should have CT 3.5.0.3. So perhaps that is the reason. However if I check plugins for updates from within Moodle it isn't showing any, and there isn't an update button. 

So is the next step to install 3.5.0.3? If so, do I need to uninstall 3.4.0.2 first, or can I install 3.5.0.3 over the top? 

Kind regards,

Ian

In reply to Ian Lfp

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There is no update button I think down to 'betas' in the Moodle DB. Don't uninstall but rather follow the instructions in the 'Readme' file that comes with the format.
In reply to Ian Lfp

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not sure where I got this CSS, but maybe you can try it to see if it does anything for you.  Experiment with the color.

/* Control the muted text. */
.text-muted, a.dimmed, a.dimmed:link, a.dimmed:visited, a.dimmed_text, a.dimmed_text:link, a.dimmed_text:visited, .dimmed_text, .dimmed_text a, .dimmed_text a:link, .dimmed_text a:visited, .usersuspended, .usersuspended a, .usersuspended a:link, .usersuspended a:visited, .dimmed_category, .dimmed_category a, .tag_feed .media .muted a, #page-admin-qtypes .disabled, #page-admin-qbehaviours .disabled, #page-admin-plugins #plugins-control-panel .pluginname .componentname, #page-admin-plugins #plugins-control-panel .version .versionnumber, #page-admin-plugins #plugins-control-panel .notes .requiredby, #plugins-check-page .page-description, #plugins-check-page #plugins-check .requires-ok, #plugins-check-page #plugins-check .displayname .plugindir, #plugins-check-page #plugins-check-available-dependencies .displayname .component, .block .minicalendar td.weekend, .course-content .section-summary .section-summary-activities .activity-count, #course-category-listings .listitem[data-visible="0"], #course-category-listings .listitem[data-visible="0"] > div > a, #course-category-listings .listing-pagination-totals.dimmed, .fitem.disabled .fp-btn-choose, .form-defaultinfo, .form-label .form-shortname, .formsettingheading .form-horizontal, .no-felement.fstatic, .path-backup .backup_progress .backup_stage {
    color: #009899 !important;
   opacity: 100;
}
In reply to Ian Lfp

by Ian Lfp -
Thanks Both,

I updated CT to the correct version for Moodle 3.5 (CT 3.5.0.3) following the instructions in the Readme file, but the issue remained, even after a manual cache purge.

I then dropped in Rick's CSS and that changed the colour - I set it to white, but the text display isn't exactly white (see below) but I imagine that is by design to indicate the hidden status of the topic, but it is much more readable. I'm not particularly comfortable with using CSS that I don't fully understand in the context (and I have a slight concern that is it will affect something else) and don't know the provenance of, but so far it doesn't seem to have affected anything else, so it seems to work as a fix for the issue.

Best wishes,

Ian

In reply to Ian Lfp

by Ian Lfp -
An update. The CSS does affect other areas of Moodle - what it seems to be targeting is text that is "greyed out", for example, in the Manage Filters area the name of anything that was disabled was white (and presumably it was grey before), and so in some cases this was invisible against the white background (see first image below). I changed the CSS colour to black, which got around the white on white text, but it's affecting anything that is supposed to be greyed out, so a hidden activity's text is then black rather than grey so it doesn't really look hidden (see second image below) so unfortunately that isn't going to serve as a work around.

In reply to Ian Lfp

by Gareth J Barnard -
I think (long story) that I may have solved this, please update to 3.5.1.0.

Sorry Rick, but I think your CSS is overkill and would need to be more targeted with a single selector containing 'ctopics' in there somewhere.

by Ian Lfp -
Hi Gareth,

Thanks. I've searched but I can only find 3.5.0.3 https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=18575. Can you point me in the right direction for the download please?

Best wishes,

Ian
In reply to Ian Lfp

by Gareth J Barnard -

Looks like I've had a 'moment' and not released it.  Also seems that the M3.5 version is missing one commit.  I'll get around to this at some point.  You could try out the code as it stands here: github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/commits/MOODLE_35 - but be aware that as its missing a commit but it will be the same version then when I do release on Moodle dot org you'll have to manually update.

But if you have a test server that does not matter then please see if it actually fixes the problem.

Or you could upgrade to Moodle 3.6 or 3.7.