ADAPTABLE THEME: Administration menu not populating in Moodle 3.7.1 for some users

ADAPTABLE THEME: Administration menu not populating in Moodle 3.7.1 for some users

by Ian Rogerson -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

Yesterday I upgraded our site from 3.6.2+ to 3.7.1

Today it was noticed that since then for some, but not all, site admins the Administration block on the home page is empty (see attached pic).

The users can access the Site Admin functions by going to the /admin URL directly so it appeared to be a problem with the Administration block rather than security etc.

Delving a bit deeper, the menu is being rendered to html but its parent card is then getting set to display:none in the css.  If I disable display:none the menu pops up as expected.

I've attached a screenshot of the page's developer tools.  I think I'm now at the limit of my bug fixing ability on this!   Has anyone else had the problem?  Any idea of a fix?

BTW I've removed the users from sysadmins and re-added but to no avail, I also added "$CFG->siteadmins='2,15,335,402,25,186,334,554';" to my config.php but (as you'd expect) it made no difference to this problem.  

We're running on a windows server  2012R2 box with SQL Server Express 2014 and PHP 7.2.21.

Thanks

Ian

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Friday, 16 August 2019, 5:55 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Rogerson

Re: Administration menu not populating in Moodle 3.7.1 for some users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's no attachments... try again.

Which theme are you using? If it's not a core one, try switching to Boost to see what happens. You'll probably have to add...

$CFG->theme = 'boost';

...in your config.php
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ian Rogerson -
Thanks Howard. Apologies for the lack of attachments - have tried again!

A completely obvious idea to try a different theme...which didn't cross my mind 'til you mentioned it!

We're using the Adaptable theme, which I had to upgrade to get it working with the latest version of Moodle.  Switching to Boost it "works" - mainly because Boost doesn't have the integral menu in the Administration block so no menu rendering issue.

It does look like it's an issue with the Adaptable theme - seems like I may need to post on the Themes forum.

Thanks for your help.

Ian
Attachment admin_menu_problem.jpg
Attachment emptyadmin.jpg
In reply to Ian Rogerson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
...ok, moving to Themes forum...
In reply to Ian Rogerson

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ian, 

Are you using the Prototype Adaptable theme for Moodle 3.7?

It is most probably a problem with the Adaptable Theme as some
parts of that theme are Hard Coded and so not as easy to manage
as one would have hoped.

In the mean time I'll add the name ADAPTABLE to the title of this post
so that the Adaptable Team can give you advice as how to best proceed
in order to help you solve the problem you are faced with.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ian Rogerson -
Thanks Mary,

I allowed it to upgrade to the latest version that Moodle was offering me - didn't notice anything saying about a prototype.
I have:
$plugin->version = 2019072500;
$plugin->release = '2.1.0';
Does that correspond to the prototype 3.7 theme?

Grateful for any advice on sorting this out - frustrating that it only appears to be for certain users. They assure me that they've cleared their cache, tried a different browser/machine etc but it's hard to be 100% sure...

Ian
In reply to Ian Rogerson

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Its an oddity with the block hiding mechanism. For now, edit the user preferences table in the DB and remove records with a name of 'blockXhidden' where 'X' is a block instance id. Do make a backup of the table data first though.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ian Rogerson -
Excellent - that worked thanks!!