Jail error: I can't execve (Exec format error)

Jail error: I can't execve (Exec format error)

by Sanjana Singh -
Number of replies: 6

I was able to compile, run and grade submissions in java. However now I have started getting the error 'Jail error: I can't execve (Exec format error)'. I recently installed multiple java versions and made some changes to my script to support multiple java versions. Could that have triggered the issue?

When I try to check the available versions from moodle, I am able to see all the versions on my system.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sanjana Singh

Re: Jail error: I can't execve (Exec format error)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As Moodle isn't written in Java... what does this have to do with Moodle?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sanjana Singh -
I think I did not explain myself properly.

The student's submissions are in java. I wanted to allow compiling on different versions of java for an assignment. So, I installed various java versions by including the required packages in the install-vpl-sh script. That step was done. But my previously working vpl_evaluate script started throwing the error "I can't execve"

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm still pretty much lost - sorry. Are you saying that you're using the 'Virtual Programming Lab' optional plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_vpl) ?

By the way... which version of Moodle are you running?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sanjana Singh -
Yes, I am using vpl version 'vpl_jail_system-2.0.1' installed on a ubuntu 14.04 VM. I don't know thw moodle version, my institute has a subscription. I cannot find the option to look for the version. I tried to access "https://moodle.iitd.ac.in/version.php" but I got a blank page.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Sanjana

The error execve sounds like the vpl script in the server does not execute any more. You should inform the server administrator. (You should also inform that the SSL certificate of the server is not valid. "the issuer is unknown")

You said you have changed the programs you test. Do simpler programs still give correct results?

The main source of VPL support is here: New Virtual Programming Lab (VPL) module.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Sanjana Singh -
I have figured out the issue. I had not included the bang line '#!/bin/bash' in vpl_execution.
Thank you for your help though.