Course news display in Moodle 3.7.1+

Course news display in Moodle 3.7.1+

by Guido Roessling -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I am looking for a plugin or some other option that will display "course news" under Moodle 3.7.

In Moodle 3.6, I used "block_course_overview_campus" for this purpose. This showed, below each course on the Dashboard, an overview of relevant information (upcoming submission deadlines, submissions open for grading, new and unread forum posts, and similar entries). After the update to Moodle 3.7, the plugin no longer displays this information, with the commit comment "Remove course news functionality as it does not work anymore from Moodle 3.7 on"). I have not yet managed to find a similar plugin - does anybody know such a plugin, or (preferably) built-in features that I am simply overlooking so far?

To illustrate, this is roughly what I would like to see on the Dashboard for a given course in Moodle 3.7+:

Name of the course (with list of teachers)

• Forum "X": 5 new unread posts (preferably, with a link to the forum)
  • Forum "Y": 3 new unread posts (preferably, with a link to the forum)
  • Assignment "Z": nothing submitted, due on August 20, 2019 at 17:55 (for students)
  • Assignment "W": 5 submissions still ungraded (for teacher roles)

Of course, it could look much nicer than this, too wink.

Best regards,

Guido

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guido Roessling

Re: Course news display in Moodle 3.7.1+

by Klaus Steitz -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Guido,

some of your requirements are solved by using the core-block "timeline":
https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Timeline_block

You may add it as default-block for your dashboard (/my/indexsys.php).

kind regards
Klaus
In reply to Klaus Steitz

Re: Course news display in Moodle 3.7.1+

by Guido Roessling -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you for the reply, Klaus.
Unless I am mistaken, however, that block only notifies about upcoming events („homework submission due“), it does not notify about new forum entries (for everybody) or newly submitted, ungraded assignment submissions (for all with a teaching role in the given course). Those two aspects are mainly what I am looking for.
Before, on accessing the Dashboard, thanks to the „course overview campus“ block, one could directly see „what‘s new in my courses“ - versus only „what assignments are due soon“ -, and that functionality is what I am looking for...