how to know what was the original genuine installed moodle release before any upgrade?

how to know what was the original genuine installed moodle release before any upgrade?

by REMI PICARD (substitute) -
Number of replies: 12
hi,

is there a way, a file, a tips to know what was there original installed moodle release before the first update/upgrade.
currently, i have the 3.5.2+ but i want to know what was the first installed release (i am not the original admin who installed the package)
i hope moodle upgrade process did not clean its first identity ! there must be some remains file who can determinate that info !

Best regards
Average of ratings: -
In reply to REMI PICARD (substitute)

Re: how to know what was the original genuine installed moodle release before any upgrade?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm going to say "no". I can't think of any way to do that.

I've never been asked this before. Why do you need to know?
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: how to know what was the original genuine installed moodle release before any upgrade?

hi again,

is there somewhere a log / history of each time an administrator update/upgrade the site or the plugins using the basic interface (clicking the link as administrator role).
there should be trace of each update moment day by day, isn't it ?

the reason i need this :
well i take the job of another admin.
i wanted to test a full re-install + backup/restore of our current moodle plateform.
i thought the moodle i manage was an original 3.5.2+ but as i saw a assignment 2.2 plugin desabled in the interface (which wasn't concern the 3.5.2 release but older ones), i have doubt of the original package used to install the primary version on our server. i just hope there were not a 2.x to 3.5.2 upgrade !
Moreover, i need to have backup of the source too.
that's why.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No - there's no log of this.

If you want to do a re-install of the system then you should use the latest version. You don't say which version you are running. I can see no reason to retrace your steps from an older version.

Don't worry about the assignment 2.2 plugin. This was due to that activity being renamed in core. It's the same for everyone.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In moodle admin interface go to Notifications.   Version is there.

Also go to Site Admin -> Server -> Environment check.   Update component first.  Then use drop down pick list to choose the version of Moodle to see what might await you for an upgrade path/plan.

You might also go to Site Admin -> Plugins -> Plugins overview -> Additional plugins.   Check on https://moodle.org/plugins/ that those have a compat version for your destination moodle version.

Moodle does track users (one very large table in DB) but I doubt, from what you've said, that table would be of use for the info you seek.

Backups ... full site backups are: code, DB dump, and at the very least filedir of moodledata.

Plan your work ... work your plan.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
I don't think that's what he was asking... he was asking what the version of Moodle was *before* it was upgraded. I'm pretty sure that there's no upgrade history.

by Ken Task -

Agreed.  Thought pointing to where the 'who done it' info is kept and backups something needed for op to see for themselves.

One possible ... if former admin made any backups of site and stored on server, those would have date/time stamps on files.  Or if site backups were downloaded to former admins local lan workstation or local lan storage for all users ... same.

Another possible clue ... an archived backup of a course.

Those files have .mbz (moodle backup zip) as extension.  Older moodles actually used zip.  Newer moodles gzip/targz.

Unarchiving a backup would produce a moodle_backup.xml file. 

Example of info from an old backup:

<moodle_release>2.7.20 (Build: 20170508)</moodle_release>
    <backup_version>2014051200</backup_version>
    <backup_release>2.7</backup_release>
    <backup_date>1543713844</backup_date>

'SoS',Ken

In reply to Ken Task

hi,
when i sort the root file by update date DESC, i can see in the bottom :
version.php
TRADEMARK.txt
README.txt
..and many others.
there're all at 5-oct-2018.
when i read the version.php, i can see :

$version  = 2018051702.05;              // 20180517      = branching date YYYYMMDD - do not modify!
$release  = '3.5.2+ (Build: 20181005)'; // Human-friendly version name
$branch   = '35';                       // This version's branch.
$maturity = MATURITY_STABLE;             // This version's maturity level.

but i don't know the theses values change when we update the site....

by Ken Task -

In a moodle 3.5.highest stock code ...

Kens-MacBook-Pro-2:moodle35 kentask$ find ./ -name version.php| wc -l

There are 404 version.php files ... yes, when you update or upgrade code those files content will change to reflect version of Moodle.

To get a clue ... won't be exact, search mdl_files for the oldest file uploaded ... a .mbz or a png (logo) or a pdf etc.   The following for a .mbz is a moodle backup.

mysql> select filename,timecreated,timemodified from mdl_files where filename like '%.mbz' order by 'timecreated' DESC;

In looking through the output of above on a site that was a 1.9.x when I came to admin it ... site had been used for a while already ...

| filename                                                                            | timecreated | timemodified |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------+--------------+
| backup-moodle2-course-38-sustainability_symposiums_-_dec._2009-20130320-2323-nu.mbz |  1363836190 |   1363836190 |

Backup filenames were created with defaults which had date/time stamp.

Above you can see 'dec 2009-2013' in it's name.  And the timecreated is an epoch time stamp and when the backup was created (1363836190) - Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:23:10 AM.   So that course has been on this server since 2009!!!

I don't think you will find the *exact* date/year ... not unless the former admin made a site backup right after moodle first installed and archived it somewhere.

'SoS', Ken

hi,

also, maybe the log can speak ?

the log records the IP, maybe the log can record the moodle version too ?

thanks for help or tips.

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Run the following query in your preferred SQL tool:

SELECT * FROM mdl_upgrade_log WHERE plugin = 'core';

You should see the initial install date/version, plus any other versions you've upgraded through since then.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Paul Holden

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Saw that table for the first time!

MThe key columns are 'version' and 'targetversion', although their values are not clear to me: some are YYYYMMDDNN others YYYYMMDDNN.MM.
In reply to Paul Holden

by Ken Task -

+1 ... good advice/info ... but ...

It would be true only if entity used same DB and upgraded ... and didn't, for some reason. 'start over' by restoring backups of courses from old.

Still though ... better than any of the sluething ideas shared! smile

'SoS', Ken