Installing Moodle 3.7 on iPage

Installing Moodle 3.7 on iPage

by Liam Tedders -
Number of replies: 6

I have come up against a wall with iPage on a shared hosting plan. Before this, I was able to overcome the obstacles and succeeded in upgrading as far as Moodle 3.1.2. But it looks like this is the end of the road. 

iPage shared hosting do not support php_extension intl, although they do have php 7.3.

Does anyone know how to overcome the php_extension intl issue. It's a CentOS 6.4 operating system so enabling the windows dll does not apply, which is all I can do in the PHP.ini.

Any ideas? Or is the only solution to move to VPN.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liam Tedders

Re: Installing Moodle 3.7 on iPage

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you go to your current sites environment check, update the component, then choose anything higher than current version of Moodle, you might discover php extensions are not the only item that must meet Moodle requirements.  Database.

While the operating system is well known and used globally, your hosting provider more than likely has modified it ... certainly restricted it php wise ... to work with their 'shared hosting' setups.   BTW, on a Rackspace hosted VPS, Centos 6 is CentOS release 6.10 .... so provider is behind.

BTW, CentOS 6 is approaching end of life so your hosting provider will be looking at doing something that will affect all 'shared hosting' customers on those servers.

Does iPage offer a path from shared to VPS?  Sometimes best to stay with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't?! :|

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Liam Tedders -
Many thanks Ken for your fast response and the heads up about the future of CentOS 6. However, I suppose that moving from CentOS 6 to 7, when iPage do this, will not affect my current 3,1,2 Moodle system.

In response to your question, I did ask iPage what my options were and they said there was no migration path from shared to VPS.

As I see it, Moodle users will need to go towards VPS solutions or remain or 3.1. Certainly, I'll be on the lookout for such a solution.

Thanks again Ken!
In reply to Liam Tedders

by Ken Task -

Remaining on 3.1.x forever?  Moodle security is really pretty good but the hole may not be code but PHP version/MySQL version - and remotely exploitable with no authentication required!!! :|

Moving from 6 to 7 CentOS may/may not affect your Moodle but only if provider has something like EasyApache for customers that would allow customers to choose the version of PHP to run with a site.  Can't get too high with PHP or your 3.1 code won't run 'error free'.

Right now ... I admin CentOS 6 servers and a few CentOS 7's ... uhhhh, RH just released 8.0, BTW.   Your provider might jump 7 and go to 8 as it's built more for virtuailized environments.   And considering RH now part of IBM ... which CentOS folks say not to worry bout that?????   Hmmmm ... can re-call being taught as a grade schooler 'duck and cover'.

CentOS, based on RHEL, has always been conservative when it comes to default versions of PHP / MySQL when installed with CentOS repos.  More often than not, running a CenOS VPS one will have to use 3rd party repos to acquire the higher versions of PHP - webtatic/epel/other.  I happen to use Oracile's MySQL repos for the database version and not 3rd party.

Providers of shared services would need to know how many customers are running Moodle vr. X to know for sure when upgrading the OS and underlying PHP/MySQL if those customers would be affected.

Shared hosting setups are great for WP/Joomla's/other, but are becoming more and more a problem for Moodle using customers.

My 2 cents, of course.

SoS, Ken

In reply to Liam Tedders

by James Steerpike -
I was under the impression this thread was about running shared hosting or a VPS on a specific provider.
The OP mentioned problems with shared hosting. The advice given to him was to move to a VPS within the same provider. Another poster then gave his experiences of problems running Moodle on a VPS with that provider, which seemed to me a be a valid point. That could have been a problem either with the hosting provider or the Moodle install so I was interested in finding out how effective was customer support in dealing with a major problem.
As someone who has posted on this thread, I am sorry if I have broken any forum rules
In reply to James Steerpike

by Ken Task -

@James ... don't think you've broken any rules! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Liam Tedders

by Jose Munoz -

Hello Liam Tedders

I am verifying information about the installation in Ipage, I like to test the Moodle platform in the best version that I can install in the shared hosting of Ipage, Is 3.1.2 the best version? to install without problems

I appreciate your answer because in the ipage chat they told me version 1.9 as a compatible version.

Thank you

Jose