Track time in educational contents

Track time in educational contents

by Lee Taylor-Vaughan -
Number of replies: 3

Using version 2.6.11

What educational content can an educator track the amount of activity (i.e. time).

I specifically want to show a report that shows the amount of time each student has spent in an activity/content. 

This is to include: book, lesson, quiz, etc, etc.

(Very new to Moodle, so any step-by-step will help).

Lee

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Re: Track time in educational contents

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Lee,

It seems this question and similar ones have a tendency to pop up every once in a while. Tracking time spent in a course or activity seems like a sensible means of measuring engagement, but you tend to run into really practical obstacles.

Time/date accessed is logged in Moodle for each user/participant/student for all courses and activities, be it through the Moodle app or from a browser window. You could use this time stamp as a starting point for measuring time spent, if:

• You are certain the user only has this one app / browser window open;
  • You are certain his/her eyes and attention are where they should be: in the activity;
  • You are certain the time/date logged for storing the activity's result (grade, completion state, ...) is accurate and matches the time/date the user/participant/ student concluded the activity. 

You could also try the following:

You could calculate the time between a user first accessed the course and the conclusion of the final activity or assessment and use that number for an indication of average time needed to finish the course. 

In reply to Lee Taylor-Vaughan

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Marcus Green

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I was looking for that discussion... thanks! It would be interesting to see if any of the Moodle competitors have an answer to this, but that would be a Comparison and Advocacy discussion.