Changing question feedback for quizzes already taken

Changing question feedback for quizzes already taken

by Richard Maloney -
Number of replies: 4

We are using Moodle version 3.5.7.

We have several courses set up that users have completed, including the end-of-course Quiz.

PROBLEM: Each question bank consists of T/F, MC/SA and MC/MA questions. Our customer requires us to change the feedback on questions answered incorrectly to include information on where the topic information can be found.

It is my understanding the existing question bank would have to be deleted before I create a new one and build the end of course quiz (containing the needed feedback) off of that. Is this correct? If not, please advise as to how I would edit our incomplete question feedback. NOTE: the courses are currently in a pre-production work environment, so we are not concerned with losing old/existing quiz grades.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Maloney

Re: Changing question feedback for quizzes already taken

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
If you do not add/remove a question from a question bank, you can edit a question. The functionality to edit a question includes adding specific feedback to a wrong response to each question.
It is a manual process, to open each question and add the desired feedback but it can be done.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Richard Maloney -
Thank you, Shirley,
Are your directions applicable for quizzes already taken?
In our past experiences, when changes were made to question settings (including feedback) on quizzes students had already taken, Moodle created a new question bank rather than alter the existing one. We ended up deleting the original and re-building the end-of-course quiz off of it.
I did find the following on a Moodle instruction page. If we're not concerned with keeping scores, will this simple solution work?

Note: You can delete all quiz attempts by students and then edit the quiz as if no students had attempted it. To do this,click the quiz name and then the Results link in the Administration block. This will present a list of students and their scores. Click "Select all" and then "Delete selected attempts".
In reply to Richard Maloney

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You cannot edit the quiz (add/remove questions) after a student has attempted the quiz.

However, you can edit the questions used, if you are careful. For example it is safe to change the text of the question (e.g. add feedback). It is not safe to change the structure of the question (e.g. add or remove a choice for a mulitple choice question).

You can, mostly, change which resopnse is marked correct (e.g. in true/false, multiple choice) but if you do that, you have to go to Results -> Overview and to a Regrade for it to take effect, and this does not work for a few qtypes (mainly Matching).

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard Maloney -
Thank you for your response, Tim.
It may have something to do with the plugins we're using, but when we've tried editing questions (not changing question type, etc.) in the past, we ran into problems. We're in the fortunate position of still being in pre-production, so deleting all (test) user quiz attempts - as suggested in the "Note" in my comment above - should work for us.
Unless I receive other advice, or if my program manager says no, I'm going to give it a try and report back; yea or nay.
Thanks again!