General add-ons

custard the cat RIP
Slideshow module again

Now with extra captions!

zip.gif slideshow.zip

If display is chosen a simplified version of that filename is shown until a caption is added for that image.

Also, there is a simple link to open the imae in a new window, and teachers are warned of filesizes over 200k.

There is still no ordering facility.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Anders Berggren
Svar: Slideshow module lang/sv/slideshow.php updated
Group DevelopersGroup Translators

Hi,

This is getting better and better! leende
Only problem is getting captions (longer than two three words)
to remain permanent. Is there a limit as to how long they can be?

Updated lang/sv/slideshow.php is attached.

Cheers, Anders

custard the cat RIP
Re: Svar: Slideshow module lang/sv/slideshow.php updated

Hi Anders,

Many thanks for your translation.

I don't know about any upper limit to the length of text, I have successfully entered 3500 characters of text without any problem. The script may not be handling special characters such as quotation marks well.

Picture of Nicolas Martignoni
Re: Slideshow module again
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Here is the french translation (no help file yet).

Thanks for your work !

custard the cat RIP

Nicolas,

Thank you for your input. I hope the module is useful to you.

Caption strings are now handled differently which should make them more reliable and at least put an end to the "vanishing caption" syndrome when accented characters are used. Also captions can now be put on the right.

In an effort to minimise the requirement for users to consider bandwidth constraints there are some variables (currently set at the top of lib.php) which define the maximum desired size and dimensions of the image, you may want to change the values $maxk, $max_width, $max_height. Images larger than maxk (default is a generous 100k) will be resized and saved in an attempt to make them more bandwidth-friendly. The originals are not destroyed but moved to a directory inside the thumbnails directory.

The latest version is here:
zip.gif slideshow.zip

custard the cat RIP

Hi all,

The latest slideshow uses a more "moodle-conventional" structure to store the caption xml, thumbnails and resized originals, i.e. a directory within course_files/moddata/jpgs_data/. Also the slideshow-directory selection has been improved, as somewhere along the line it had lost the ability to select subdirectories.

Some of the default values have been changed too following advice from guidelines at http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/using/vle_moodle.html.

Existing slideshows will have a new set of thumbnails created, while existing captions will be moved to the new destination so the changes should be transparent to users. You may feel the need to tidy up the existing thumbnails directories as this process is not yet automated.

Oh yes, it is still here: zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Bhupinder Singh
Re: Slideshow module again--LOADING ERROR

Hi,

The slideshow was installed well.

Where is the main directory to load the slides.

Are there any instructions that can be read to learn the method of using this nice addon.

I get a Stack overflow error on trying to save a JPEG SLIDE SHOW.

Garry

custard the cat RIP

I have never seen the stack overflow error - what server setup are you using?

The module simply displays the contents of any selected directory containing images within the course files area, it doesn't facilitate the uploading of files as such. I'll try to create step-by-step instruction list to create a slideshow instance:

1: In the course files area, create a directory for your slideshow images, and upload your jpg files to it, either one by one or as a zip archive. Remember to unzip the archive if you do it this way.

2: Return to the main course area, turn editing on and add activity > JPG slideshow

3: Use the dropdown to select the directory you have prepared with your images. If you want captions to be visible, choose the appropriate option from the set of radio buttons.

4: If you have displayed captions, you will probably want to edit them, as the default captions are just the filenames. Click on "edit captions" and a page will appear showing thumbnails adjacent to form fields for captions. When you are happy with the captions, cick on "save changes" and you are done!

Picture of Mark Davies

Hi

Is this compatible with Moodle 1.5.3, as I have implemented and get the following error:

Warning: file(/home/mysport/public_html/moodle/blocks/slideshow/block_slideshow.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysport/public_html/moodle/lib/blocklib.php on line 21

Regards,

Mark

custard the cat RIP

Hi,

The slideshow module is compatible with 1.5.3, but I think you may have been trying to install something else: there is no such file as block_slideshow.php in this module, and it should be installed in moodle/mod/slideshow/ as it is an activity module, and not a block.

Try downloading again from here:

zip.gif slideshow.zip

or for Moodle 1.6beta:

zip.gif slideshowb.zip

Picture of Mark Davies

Hi James,

Where can I find the latest version of the slideshow.zip?

Regards,

Mark

custard the cat RIP

Oops - it was mislaid temporarily - it is now back at

zip.gif slideshow.zip

When the dust settles on our upgrade (migrating server and platform, upgrading to Moodle 1.6 and enabling authentication has raised a few points) I have a few improvements in mind, but please let me know if you experience any issues.

Picture of Pavel Kosina

I installed it into moodle/mod/slideshow (instead of moodle/blocks), installation went well, but then, when adding this acitvity in the course, following meesage was received:

Adding a new modulename to topic 7Help, Adding a new modulename to topic 7
Name:
coursepacket: Help, coursepacket
display_filename display_none
display_over
display_under
display_right
Visible to studenti:

force recompression: 600x400px, 60k

After "Save changes" I got:
none_found

and nothing worked well.

Thanks you if you can help.

1.6.3+

Garrrr

Hi Pavel,
Whenever you see words surrounded by square brackets it means you are missing a language file. Locate yourmoodlefolder/mods/slideshow/lang and copy it to the root level of your moodle installation (note: you will be warned that the folder already exists, just click ok).
The slideshow contains language packs for; en, es, de, fr, sv

Picture of Pavel Kosina

Yes, thank you. If at least one teacher will be using this, I am going to supply with Czech translation.

Anyway, seems to me, there is one defect.
At Slideshow init there is wrong path to recompresion moodle/course/mod/slideshow/view.php?id=69&recompress=1
When viewing any picture there is the right path: moodle/mod/slideshow/view.php?id=69&recompress=1

And another "defect" : en-utf8 should be (as for my installation): en_utf8.

Sorry if am wrong.

Garrrr

You are correct, the link does indeed point to the wrong location (for me it even specified id=0!). I have never been sure what the purpose of this feature is since all the images get re-compressed if they exceed limitations anyway. Can you shed any light on this James?

Good spotting with the 'en-utf8' folder. I should have mentioned that before. The latest version has an extra misspelled language folder which can be safely deleted.

I've attached a copy here with the extra folder removed.

custard the cat RIP

I included the link to force recompression primarily in case the site wide "maximum size" config is changed, or in case modified files are uploaded with the same name as originals which have been resized. In fact there is no reason to include it on the mod page but I have fixed that link path now anyway.

But I have also made some bigger changes too.

zip.gif slideshow.zip

I have reworked the original module so that now, in addition to the previously available features:
  • Titles can now be added on the caption page
  • Thumbnails can go over or under the main pic, configured 'per slideshow'
  • Captions are now stored in the database
This should solve any of the caption bugs at a stroke and make the module more futureproof; it may of course generate a whole set of new problems surprise although I have tested on whatever systems I could.

If you are upgrading from an earlier version, the first time a slideshow is looked at the module will populate the new caption table from the original xml file for that slideshow instance, then delete that file. This has worked well for me so far on postgres and mysql, but I suggest backing up the /moddata/jpgs_data/[path]/slideshow[n].xml file so you have a record just in case.

I haven't done anything to enable unicode migration or fixed the backup/restore functionality.

Garrrr

Wow! This is just what we have been looking for since the Image gallery was depreciated to the point of not working with 1.6. Lots of people have suggested the data module but we need some way to quickly display all the images in a folder. Also gallery2 integration is not as simple/stable as we would like.

I've just installed the latest version posted here and it works like a charm in 1.6.3, but we are trialling 1.7 and it doesn't get installed in the usual way. Admin > Modules just lists the current mods.

Has anyone gotten this to work with 1.7?

And might I be so bold as to make a few suggestions/feature requests?
  • Some way to automate the slideshow (currently there is a lot of scrolling involved to select another image)
  • Option to place the thumbs below/beside the image
  • Paging of thumbnails (if more than say, 2-3 rows)
  • Next/Back buttons for navigation
  • Caption tool tips when rolling over thumbs
  • A fullscreen mode (with user selected bg color)
Cheers

custard the cat RIP

Thanks for your interest. In response to your suggestions:

You can progress through the slides by clicking on the current image.
I am planning to include options for thumbnail placement, this has been requested more than once.
Tooltips I like, should be straightforward to implement too.

Paging thumbnails, fullscreen and nav buttons might require some thought and/or discussion as to ergonomics/usability/layout - perhaps an alternative "mode" for the slideshow, a view where just thumbnails are displayed on the main page, then the image opens fullscreen with just nav buttons and the caption? Let me know if you think this would work.

I haven't looked at 1.7 at all yet, but a rewrite of the module is probably well overdue anyway - a lot of tweaks and special cases that should have been handled by seperate functions have "insinuated" themselves into the code.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Garrrr

Hi James,
I'm in the process of learning PHP/MySQL, so I jumped in and made a few tweaks of my own (modified 'view.php' attached);
  • Added tool tips to thumbs and main image
  • Changed link behind main image to open the original version (so far only works if image was re-sampled)
  • Added navigation links above and below main image
  • Added variable to store the html for thumbs so they can be placed wherever
  • Moved thumbs below main image
  • Added border to currently selected thumbnail
  • Added a 'manage files' link to the options
  • Added icons to the options (though some might not be standard moodle icons)
Oh, and everything works fine with 1.7 so far

custard the cat RIP

Thanks David,

Haven't had an opportunity to try it out but it looks good, I especially like the idea of "draw_nav". I will incorporate some of this in the next "build" if you don't mind.

Very happy to hear it doesn't fall over in 1.7 as well!

Garrrr

I'd be delighted for you to add my code. Feels good to be able to 'give something back' to the community.
big grin

Garrrr

Hi again James,
I've been really enjoying tinkering with this when time has allowed it. I post here a full version of the module with all my little tweaks included titled 'daves_slideshow_hacks.zip' to avoid any confusions. All changes are mentioned in 'CHANGES.txt'.

One thing I hope to have a look at is performance related - the slide show is eating our CPU when creating large galleries (100+ images 1MB+ ea).
Currently when a gallery is created the server builds a list of all images larger than the specified limitations and proceeds to attempt to resize them all in one go.
Would it be feasible to test each image only as it is being called for the first time to reduce the initial hit on the server? If an image is too big, the server checks for a smaller version and resizes only if none found.

On a side note, one of our teachers has reported captions not saving properly, even when they are one word captions with no special characters. I may have broken something when changing caption input fields to textareas but the error occurs even when reverting the changes. Anyone else having this problem?

Cheers

custard the cat RIP

Hi David,

The image resizing occurs automatically only when a thumbnail for a specific image is not found, otherwise it is assumed that the best attempt has been made at resizing the image, so yes, it does try to resize everything the first time a teacher looks at them. I created the module to be a simple process based on what was in the chosen directory at any given time rather than a sophisticated file management and processing tool. It might be a good idea to suggest your users that they upload 10 or 20 at a time. I suspect the caption problem is happening when images are uploaded with odd characters like spaces in their filenames, as your experience - and workaround - would suggest. I am going to move all the caption functions into the database when I have some time to work on it, which should solve the problem.

Garrrr

Further to the problem mentioned above re: captions...
It seems that only images that have been resized suffer the problem of captions not saving. In a gallery of only thumbnails, there were no errors, but with larger images (above the site threshold) the captions would not save.
One workaround I found was to rename the file using Moodle's file browser. After that captions could be applied and were persistent.

Picture of daniel ginerman
Please Help! Getting an odd error in installation

Shalom 2U all there,
I have downloaded, uploaded and installed the slideshow module on my 1.5.4 moodle. Having discovered this module made me very happy (a very exciting thing after having had a muslim hacker's 25 hours tour in our server), since it's meant to resolve some urgent needs of the site.
I uploaded as said, got into my /admin area, and got the following horrible errors:

slideshow

(mysql): CREATE TABLE `mdl_slideshow` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `course` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `location` text NOT NULL, `layout` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `filename` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `timemodified` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), KEY course (course))CREATE TABLE `mdl_slideshow_captions` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `slideshow` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `image` text NOT NULL, `title` text NOT NULL, `caption` text NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (`id`), KEY slideshow(slideshow))

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'CREATE TABLE `mdl_slideshow_captions` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_inc' at line 1
below, it denounces problems with 

and to conclude:

Error

(mysql): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mdl_message WHERE useridto = '1' AND timecreated > '1165691819'

with the following final adition:
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_user WHERE id = '1' AND username = 'guest' LIMIT 1

PLEASE... any good idea on how to fix this mess? mixed
thanx in advance,

daniEl

Picture of daniel ginerman
It looks for a module.php file that does not exist

I got into the /mod/slideshow/config.html
when I submit, I get " File Not Found: /mod/slideshow/module.php"
I looked for it myself and it really doesn't exist, nor it's included in the zip file of the module (the file I downloaded from here)
what do I have to do to fix it?
thanx again!

daniEl

custard the cat RIP
Slideshow config

Hi Daniel,

I jumped from 1.5 before 1.5.4, but the module has worked on earlier versions and 1.6, apparently 1.7 also. The module is mostly built and tested on postgresql, so this is probably related to the message "check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax" and my somewhat limited opportunity to experiment with it. The code worked on the mysql-based moodle I tested it on though, but I suspect it may be to do with those funny quotation marks. Sorry.

I have attached a version of the moodle/slideshow/lang/mysql files, please replace the existing files and let me know if matters improve. You shouldn't access config.html directly; it won't do you any good anyway, it is accessed by other pages that effect the config. Once you have successfully installed the module by getting the sql to properly create the database tables you will be able to configure it in the usual way.

As I say, please let me know if your troubles persist - or are solved - and thanks for the feedback.

Picture of Mark Baldwin

I've had a little difficulty getting going with the slideshow module in my 1.5.2 install.

1) Initially had an "unexpected "*" in lib.php". I wasn't sure if lines 12 of lib.php should be */ or /*, so I changed it to the latter?

2) Seemed to go OK from here - though I can't recall the exciting moment when you get to see the tables being set up when you go to admin - but jpeg slideshow appears as an option in the activities box and in configuration.

Unfortunately adding a slideshow activity earns me a fatal error when I save changes:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function slideshow_add_instance() in /home/....../public_html/course/mod.php on line 104

Am I doing something obviously idiotic?

custard the cat RIP

Hi Mark

line 12 was OK.
/* and */ respectively open and close a comment block, so you don't have to start each line with //

Turning the latter round will effectively comment out the entire script, and that isn't what you want.

I can't see anything I have done in lib.php that would throw this error, certainly not until after the install anyhow.

Are you sure you got the latest version? The following link points to http://virtual.cornwall.ac.uk/downloads/slideshow.zip where the latest version is kept:
zip.giflatest slideshow.zip

Picture of Mark Baldwin

Thank you James.

Unfortunately I still get this error immediately on logging to admin after the install:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '*' in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/mod/slideshow/lib.php on line 3

I've been looking at finally upgrading my moodle install for a while, so I might just do that and see how I go installing there.

Strangely I managed to get further when I subbed in the earlier-lib.php - I assumed it was a previous now redundant version of lib.php? ANyhoo, it became functional with errors.

Picture of Jim Johnston

Just an FYI. I ran into a problem with MySQL.sql. The problem is that after the first MySQL statement there is no semi-colon. Adding the semi-colon fixed the problem.

custard the cat RIP

Thanks Jim,

I am always grateful for MySQL input as our server uses Postgres. Your semicolon is in the download now.

Picture of Ulrike Montgomery
Group Documentation writers

James,

Thanks a lot for helping us out in Germany today. I can't believe that it only took you minutes to send the patch to Andreas.

I showed the module during a training course last Monday and the teachers liked it so much that they wanted it immediatley on our large district-wide Moodle installation.

So now it's installed and running.

Thanks again,

Ulrike smile

custard the cat RIP

Ulrike it is my pleasure,

I am grateful that Andreas pointed out the potential problem, the patch is now in the download:

zip.gif slideshow.zip

I hope the module works well for you smile

Art Lader
James, that is amazing. You are der Mann! smile

-- Art

Picture of Császár-Cs. Péter

Hi!

I have translated into Hungarian, who should I notify?
(help files, slideshow.php, mod.html, captions.php)

Peter

Art Lader
Hello,

I think you are looking for James Barrett - http://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=25086&course=5

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Art

Picture of Császár-Cs. Péter

Thx. for the help!

Peter

custard the cat RIP

Hi Peter

That is great news! Thanks very much, I will include the files in download. You could either attach them to a message here or post them to me direct.

Picture of david giles

I am trying to get the slideshow module to work.  I downloaded and unzipped the folder.  Then I copied the slideshow folder into C:/moodle:/mod.  I then went to the administrator site and it said it created the tables successfully but when I try to add the module it says "none found".. Do I need to move the db or language folders to another location?  anyobody have any suggestions? 

Picture of david giles
jRe: Slideshow module again

never mind, I just figured it out.  My only problem now is that the module is being displayed as  modulenameplural . Is there any way of fixing this to say slideshow?  it says that for my ipodcast as well.

Picture of Mark Baldwin

I think this indicates that the language files from the module haven't been integrated into those of your moodle installation.

By the way, James, my earlier problem with installing slideshow disappeared when I changed ftp clients - thanks again for your help!

Picture of Rick Barnes
Re: jRe: Slideshow module again

I think you need to rename the en-utf8 lang folder to en_utf8
That worked for me.

Rick

Picture of Hannah Tahbazian

Hi, thanks for this advice, I had the same problem and it worked for me.

I have another problem, where do I actually store the jpg folders?  I have seen the previous link where it says to use course_files/moddata/jpgs_data, I might be being stupid but I can't locate this.

When I go to add a jpg the slideshow directory shows 'Main Files Directory' - how do I get my folders/jpgs into this?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah

Art Lader

Hi, Hannah,

You can create folders to organize your slideshows under the Main Files level. Maybe the attached screenshot will help a bit.

Regards,
Art

custard the cat RIP

Hi Hannah, and thanks Art,

You need to set up folders with your images in before you set up the slideshow. Just make a folder in your course filespace, upload your images to it, and then set up the slideshow to point at it.

The JPG slideshow module stores the thumbnails into the moddata/etc. folder automatically, you don't need to worry about this, but it won't look in /moddata anyway so don't put your images there.

Picture of Rick Barnes

James,
My first slideshow has been working perfectly, but since I last added images to it 2 of the thumbnails do not display correctly.
Is there any way I can update/check the thumbnails without having to retype the comments for the images.

Rick.

custard the cat RIP

You can see the thumbnails in your course files area in the /moddata/jpgs_data folder, which will then echo the structure of the folder(s) you are using for the slideshow. Are there thumbnails in there? If there are they may be corrupted and need to be deleted, but it looks like the server just hasn't attempted to resize the files. Have there been any other changes since you last used the slideshow?

Picture of Rick Barnes

No other changes except backup location.

The thumbnails did show initialy so maybe they are corupt.

If i delete them will the slideshow automatically remake them?

Rick.

custard the cat RIP

Yes, it will. The module will create a thumbnail for an image if none exists, and at the same time resize the main image if necessary. The thumbnails are stored in /moddata/jpgs_data in a path that echoes the path to your slideshow folder in course files.

Thanks Art and James,

I have set up a folder with images in it (as shown above) but I still don't get the option in the drop down list.  If I press ok regardless I get the following message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\moodle\mod\slideshow\lib.php on line 144

I'm a little confused.

custard the cat RIP

Hannah,
You may well get this if you have selected a folder without any images in. When you have set up a folder with some images in your course files area then create a slideshow, what options do you see in the dropdown to select the image folder?

The only option I get in the drop down list is:

Main Files Directory

I have tried to create the new folder with images in the suggested places but the folders don't appear in the drop down list.

Art Lader
Hmmm... That is odd. If there is some unrelated problem, I guess it may not help, but I have made a little step-by-step tutorial for you (MS Word, too big to attach).

Maybe it will be of some use to someone.

Regards,
Art

Thanks, I'm all sorted now.  I was putting the images in the site files rather than the files for the particular course.

Thanks for your help.

Picture of Richard Cory
Disappearing Slideshow Activity

I'm running Moodle 1.8+

I created a slideshow that works fine on server1

I backed up the course and restored it to server2.

The slideshow activity did not show up.

The slideshow activity module is installed and activiated on both computers.

The images were moved across but the activity itself disappeared.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
RC

custard the cat RIP
Re: Disappearing Slideshow Activity

Ah. I can tell you about this. The backup and restore functionality used to exist, but, when I started storing captions, titling and layout to the database, I had to disable it. As it was, it would cause problems with the overall backup and I ran out of time trying to fix it. I will have a look at coding this functionality directly.

Garrrr

My, what a popular mod you have made James smile

I've downloaded your latest version (with the title and captions stored in the database) and applied some of my previous modifications (attached):
  • function draw_nav() - draws <Prev|Zoom|Next> links
  • Highlight current image
  • Modified alt tags and tool tips
  • Tidied up presentation layer (easy to add more layout options in future)
  • Added extra options for teachers
    • Manage files
  • Added extra option for students
    • View all captions (links to uneditable captions page)
  • Added links behind thumbs on captions page
  • Added icons for options (inside pix folder)
Everything works fine after extensive testing (can provide detailed list of all filenames that break captions/images etc if useful) except for the caption/title on the first image which does not get saved to the database. I'm not sure if I broke something when making my modifications or if its a bug for everyone...but I'm stumped as to where to start trouble shooting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

custard the cat RIP

Wow, thanks for this David; I will have a look at some point, but having recently got "backup" working I am currently striving to get "restore" functional with all the time I can devote to this module, as it is really overdue.

If you haven't changed the functions in lib, have you changed the code that writes the form at around line 120 in captions.php?

What filenames are breaking captions/images?

custard the cat RIP
Slideshow module : backup/restore

zip.gif slideshow.zip

I am delighted to announce that this module now backs up and restores, including it's captions. I have tested it successfully on 1.6 and 1.7, please let me know if you experience any problems.

I plan to incorporate some of David Jackson's functionality next, so check back soon for further upgrades!

larry's pix
Re: Slideshow module : backup/restore
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Excellent news James.

Do you expect any issues with Moodle 1.8?

The backup/restore works fine, but I can't seem to get the breadcrumb trail to work properly in 1.8.

larry

Picture of Rick Barnes

Can I just install over an existing version of slide show?

Rick.

custard the cat RIP

You can just install over an existing instance, yes. In fact, if you are running the latest version (early March) all you need is backuplib.php and restorelib.php from the download.

I haven't even looked at 1.8 yet (we're on 1.6/1.7 still) but will have a look at a compatibility fix ASAP ...

larry's pix
Re:I haven't even looked at 1.8 yet (we're on 1.6/1.7 still) but will have a look at a compatibility fix ASAP ...

Thanks James.
Good luck with locating the fix

larry

Garrrr

Phew. Wasn't looking forward to recreating my customisations (again) just to get backups working! haha

Garrrr
Re: Slideshow module again - First caption not saving

Hey James,
I tracked down and fixed (i hope) the bug with the first caption. Here are my notes:

> Captions and title for first image are not stored in the database
> Renamed first image so it appeared second
> Refreshed gallery and first image (previously second) displays caption
> Every time captions are saved the database deletes old rows and starts storing from the next avaliable row. eg last image id = 20 > save captions > first image id = 21
> The first image is ignored completely

Action:
> Examine captions.php
> captions.php uses slideshow_write_captions() to save captions
> Examine lib.php (where function is defined)
> Question: Is it in the function, or the process that feeds data to the function that the error occurs?
> Checked the function. The way it was written it started iterating through the images from 1 instead of 0
> added $i=-1 to start at correct place

Here's the highly modified function (changes marked in green)

function slideshow_write_captions($captions){
delete_records_select('slideshow_captions', 'slideshow = '.$captions['id']);
$i=-1;
while ($captions['image'.++$i]!=""){
$newcaption->slideshow = $captions['id'];
$newcaption->image = $captions['image'.$i];
$newcaption->title = stripslashes(htmlspecialchars($captions['title'.$i], ENT_QUOTES));
$newcaption->caption = stripslashes(htmlspecialchars($captions['caption'.$i], ENT_QUOTES));
if (!$chapter->id = insert_record('slideshow_captions', $newcaption)) {
error('Could not insert caption');
}
}
}

Not sure why this was a problem for me an no one else but there ya go.

custard the cat RIP

zip.gif slideshow.zip

I have fixed the "filename as caption" non-appearance bug in the latest version.

Hi David,
Re: first picture caption bug
> Not sure why this was a problem for me an no one else but there ya go.

Because you introduced it in your version when you changed caption.php! Fixing it in lib.php is not ideal to be honest.

Could I politely request that you let me integrate the new functionality please rather than effectively forking the module? I have developed the module from scratch, and while I am really keen to use some of this stuff, it must better to actually work with the original code and if you are working on a modified codebase the versions will diverge. Please be patient and I will work on including these options.

Garrrr

Hi James,
I've had a look through the latest version but I couldn't see what you did to get the filenames to save themselves as captions upon creation of a new gallery.

I don't think I did anything to captions.php that would affect the data sent to the db (or did I?), but I agree the fix I found is a bit of a hack.

Quick PHP question: Does the value of $i in this loop start at 0 or 1?
while ($captions['image'.++$i]!=""){...}

Unfortunately (for me) me, my modifications involve several other tweaks I haven't mentioned such as different default settings etc. all of which our users are quite fond of. This is the reason I've been developing my own branch since its easier to include your code than patch my mods back in every time (usually).

The filenames/captions on creation is the last bug I neeed to fix before my users are happy. After that I shall patiently await further upgrades from you and I'll refrain from uploading my versions here in the mean time so as to avoid confusing people.

Cheers

custard the cat RIP

> I don't think I did anything to captions.php that would affect the data sent to
> the db (or did I?), but I agree the fix I found is a bit of a hack.

As I suggested earlier when you first mentioned the bug, look around line 120 of captions.php, you changed where the variable was incremented ...

> Quick PHP question: Does the value of $i in this loop start at 0 or 1?
try it and see!
 while ($captions['image'.++$i]!=""){
 echo '<br>$i is '.$i;
 }
> ... I couldn't see what you did to get the filenames to save themselves ...
> ... my modifications involve several other tweaks I haven't mentioned ...
> ... I've been developing my own branch since its easier to include
> your code than patch my mods back in every time (usually).

By the same token, you will understand why I would prefer to incorporate new functionality than replace all the existing code! This article on code-forking is interesting reading. Creating this module has been an experience, I didn't think I was embarking on the role of benevolent dictator when I started writing it in 2005, but you live and learn!

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
> Quick PHP question: Does the value of $i in this loop start at 0 or 1?
try it and see!

No. If someone has to ask the question, the code does not belong in an open-source project. Code is not just a way for you to tell the computer what you want it to do, it is also the way you communicate to other developers what the code is supposed to be doing, and when you are trying to communicate, you should try to write in a way that your audience will understand, even if they are less knowledgeable than you.

However, if you enjoy code like that, you will probably enjoy the PHP quiz mentioned in this thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66701

Oh, and the answer is that if $i is initialised to 0 before the loop, it will start with 'image1', and if it is not initialised, it will generate a Notice, then start at 'image1'.

custard the cat RIP

Fair comment, Tim and your answer to the question is exemplary, but the question as it was asked pertained to PHP in general, e.g. not "Quick question about some function in whatever file" but "Quick PHP question".

I think one learns more by exploring this sort of thing than being told, and also I can't find much open source code where there is explanation at this sort of depth, and rightly so. Thanks for that quiz, I was actually surprised how high my idiot-savant pragmatism scored wink

Garrrr
Re: Slideshow module again - characters to watch out for

With regards to illegal characters, I created a new gallery containing images with as many 'special' characters as possible and noted what happened to each.
  1. ampersand&.jpg
  2. at@.jpg
  3. comma,.jpg
  4. copyright©.jpg
  5. curlybraceleft{.jpg
  6. curlybraceright}.jpg
  7. dash-.jpg
  8. dollar$.jpg
  9. equals=.jpg
  10. exclamation!.jpg
  11. foreignÃ.jpg
  12. foreignĝ.jpg
  13. fullstop..jpg
  14. hash#.jpg
  15. parenthesisleft(.jpg
  16. parenthesisright).jpg
  17. percent%.jpg
  18. plus+.jpg
  19. plusminus±.jpg
  20. quarter¼.jpg
  21. semicolon;.jpg
  22. singlequote'.jpg
  23. squarebracketleft[.jpg
  24. squarebracketright].jpg
  25. tick`.jpg
  26. tilde~.jpg
  27. underscore_.jpg
  28. uparrowthingy^.jpg
NB: At the time of testing I was unaware of the bug with the first images caption (ampersand&.jpg) so the & may not be a problem

Here are my notes:

Summary of upgrade test:
> Files with & are ignored by db (but still display)
> New gallery did not rename squarebracketleft[ to squarebracketleft_ in the database (as it did with 'squarebracketright_').
> Thumbs not viewable: . # % ’ `
> Moodle cannot find files with: . # ’ `
> Firefox cannot find files with: % (502 proxy error)
> Some images were not displaying in full view. Path for main image was being built using htmlentities to convert spaces to %20 etc, but this was messing up extra special chars like foreign characters and copyright symbols. Have removed this filter to fix.

Garrrr

Here's a copy of my version if anyone wants.

I've found another bug too (haha when will I stop picking apart your hard work?). When you create a new gallery and select an option for where you want to "Display filename/caption?", no filenames are displayed untill you go to edit captions. This confused some of our teachers since they saw no obvious connection between 'filename' and 'Edit Captions'.

I'll have a look on Monday at how to store the filenames in the database on creation (without overwriting existing captions if just updating) but if any one knows where I should start looking...

Warm regards from down under
Have a great weekend!

larry's pix
Thanks David (and James)

The breadcrumb trail in 1.8 is still broken. Might you look at this as well

thanks
larry

Garrrr

Sorry Larry, I'm not allowed to play with 1.8 mixed heehee

NB: The version I have uploaded previously is customised to meet the needs of my users and comes complete with its own set of bugs, created by me most likely. It's not the Official slideshow module. Sorry if this has caused any confusion

custard the cat RIP
Re: Slideshow module breadcrumbs fixed in 1.8

zip.gif slideshow.zip

I am happy to say that the breadcrumbs now work in 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8!

There are also a couple of minor bugfixes behind the scenes, many thanks to all who contributed!

Picture of David Banes

Really confused as to where the lanuage files need to be installed - im running 1.8 and despie installing language files I am still not getting an activity jpg slideshow on teh course page

Has anyone got a slideshow for dummies guide !!!

David

custard the cat RIP

Hi David

The slideshow should install in pretty much the same way as any non-standard module, unzip it into your moodle/mod directory and visit your admin page: the documentation at Modules (non-standard) seems to refer to 1.5; I think 1.8 is quite clever at finding the appropriate language files within the module folders, however you may need to rename the folder
/mod/slideshow/lang/en
to
/mod/slideshow/lang/en_utf8 

Garrrr

The fact that you are not getting anything appearing (in the activities drop down menu?) on the course page suggests that the module has not installed correctly. A missing language string shouldn't stop the module from working - you should at least see something like moduleslideshow in the list.

Do you see the module when viewing Admin > Activities ?

Picture of Mauricio Munera

Hi,

I have downloaded the module and I unziped it into ..moodle/mod but It doesn not appear in my Admin page in Activities modules, I am using Moodle 1.8+ Does somebody which could be the problem?

I tried changing the permissions to the folder but it doesn work.

Thanks.

custard the cat RIP

Hi Mauricio

The problem may be that the files have been put in
../moodle/mod/slideshow/slideshow
rather than
../moodle/mod/slideshow
depending on how you unzipped them. Once the files are in the right place it should install itself when you visit /admin

Hope this gets it working for you

Picture of John Rickard

I started off with the problem that, when i unzipped the slideshow it wouldnt appear as it should in the modules list in Moodle 1.8 - all it would say is "slideshow" and when someone tried to make an activity using this module it wouldbe named modulename... well...

I have found that you have to place the slideshow.php into en_tuf8 folder on your server (Moodle 1.8)

also place the two help HTML and the slideshow folder from the help folder into the help folder within en_utf8

Hope this helps

JR (Penair School)

Picture of Beth Crook

I, too, am having an install issue. I've been working on it all afternoon, have removed and reinstalled it. But it's not listing in my Admin - Modules - Activites. I have checked and it is installed in moodle/mod/slideshow (and not slideshow/slideshow). Can anyone help me, as I'm incredibly frustrated at this point? I'm running 1.8+ Thanks

custard the cat RIP

Hi Beth,
Once you have installed the files and visited /admin, does it give any error when it tries to create the database tables? Does the module possibly appear in Admin - Modules - Activites as something like "[modulename]"?

Picture of Beth Crook

When you say "Go to /admin", can you specify what that means? I went into the /admin folder and did not see any files listed for slideshow. There are also no error messages on the main page of the admin account. I do not know how to check for the errors when it creates the database tables. And no, it does not show up in Modules either. AHH

I apologize for my ignorance or lack of knowledge. This project (Moodle implementation) was put in my plate without help and so I am learning this completely backwards and trial & error sad Rather frustrating at times.

Picture of Beth Crook

Never mind! I figured that part out!

So now it appears and I just tried to add my first slideshow and it states "Could not add a new instance of slideshow" I'll search around here to see if anyone else has already posted this issue.

custard the cat RIP

Hi Beth

I have had a look around, and my guess is that it is a database issue - what versions of Moodle and database are you using?

Picture of Beth Crook

Thank you for your help, James! We are running Moodle version 1.8+. Can you tell me how to find out what version of the database we have?

custard the cat RIP

You can find this out in 1.8 by logging in as admin and going through Administration > Server > Environment
This should let you know what database and version of it you are running.

Picture of Beth Crook

Thanks James! Database version 5.0.37. Attaching a screen shot showing all of the versions.

custard the cat RIP

Hi Beth

I suspect this is a database related problem, but unfortunately I don't know enough about MySQL to solve it. Have you tried installing any other 3rd party modules?

There seem to be a few people who have experienced the same thing: try turning on debug mode and see if you get any errors. I couldn't find a published resolution, but it might be worth asking around in threads like:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=51586

Picture of Ray Lewis

I have installed 'slideshow' on a new installation of Moodle 1.8. Had to manually copy language php and help files as reported elsewhere. BUT there appears to be a problem with the filepaths being used for displaying and editing the show. My jpg images do not show up, and their path is shown in Moodle as:

moodle/file.php/1/imagedirectory/image.jpg

where the actual path to the file is

moodle/mdata/1/imagedirectory/image.jpg

The files for slideshow were downloaded only about three days ago. I am runing with PHP4 with IIS. My observation is the same whether I set the slideshow directory to be within the public site files or one of the course directories.

Please advise if you can help get this sorted!

custard the cat RIP

Hi Ray,
It may be that you need to unset the "slasharguments" variable with your specific server setup - this is done in
Site Admin > Server > HTTP

"Unfortunately, some PHP servers don't allow this method, so if you have trouble viewing uploaded files or images (eg user pictures), disable this setting."

(from the documentation on the page)

Picture of Dave Baron

Installed slideshow on my 1.8 installation, have checked and am pretty sure all files are where they should be however when I create a new slideshow and hit save the error message "Could not add a new instance of slideshow" is displayed. Any ideas?
cheers
Dave

custard the cat RIP

I haven't seen this error in a few installs on 1.8 on various different installs - a bit more information may help to track this down - did you get any error messages on installation? What versions of server software are you running?

Picture of Dave Baron

No I didn't get any error messages during installation. We're running a Windows 2003 server Windows NT 5.2 build 3790, PHP version 5.1.6
regards
Dave

Picture of Anne Allen

Is anyone having trouble getting to the site for downloading the Slideshow module? It seems to be unavailable.
Anne

Picture of Éric Bugnet
Group Documentation writersGroup Translators
Nice job...
This is french translation for this module.
Only Title and Caption are hard coded in caption.php and can't be translated.

Eric

custard the cat RIP

Thanks Eric,

That's great - I have included your files in the download, and added dynamic strings for Title and Caption - sorry about that, must have been a little trying!

zip.gif slideshow.zip

James

Picture of Will Cunningham

I am also having the same problems. I have turned debugging on and these are the errors that I am getting. When adding the the slide show it look like this;

Notice: Undefined variable: valueaslabel in mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 55

Notice: Undefined property: location in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 55
Main Files Directory Help with Slideshow directory
Display filename/caption?
Notice: Undefined property: filename in mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 69
checked>nowhere

Notice: Undefined property: filename in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 69
>above image

>below image

>right of image
Thumbnail position:
Notice: Undefined property: layout in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 88
checked>above image

Notice: Undefined property: layout in mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 88
>below image
Centred?
Notice: Undefined property: centred in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 105
>
Slideshow on black?
Notice: Undefined property: autobgcolor in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 120
>
Slideshow delay time:
Notice: Undefined property: delaytime in /mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 133

When you click the continue button you get this error
Notice: Undefined variable: id in /mod/slideshow/lib.php on line 32

Could not add a new instance of slideshow

custard the cat RIP

Thanks a lot for this Will,

zip.gif slideshow.zip

You could try the latest code in which I have fixed this; these messages shouldn't appear so I have tidied up the code in the latest download, but they wouldn't prevent the entry being written to the database. It has to be something to do with the way the database is set up.

Ok I tried the new files. Are the errors:
Slideshow directory:
Notice: Undefined variable: valueaslabel in mod/slideshow/mod.html on line 63

And once you try to submit it:
Notice: Undefined variable: id in /mod/slideshow/lib.php on line 30

Could not add a new instance of slideshow

custard the cat RIP

Although this looks terrible, it just tells us that the variables are undefined, and the Notices in debug mode cause all that javascript to be exposed. This should not prevent the module from working fine when debug mode is turned off.

I am sure the underlying problem is with the database configuration. Have you successfully installed any other third party modules?

Yes I have installed many. I also noticed that when I have the slideshow module installed I can't delete courses. It hangs on that one. I will list below my database information maybe it will help.

mysql 5.0.24
php 4.4.1
I can give you more details if you need them. Any Ideas?

custard the cat RIP

Well it is mysterious - it installs and works for me in 1.6, 1.7 and and 1.8 using mysql and postgres, I just can't replicate the problem. Maybe the tables are locked in your database, can you find this out?

Not being a database expert I would try deleting the module from the admin > modules control panel and then reinstalling it, but check the tables are gone before you do that; maybe there was some problem when they were set up, if it isn't a general problem with the database.

I deleted it and checked the database there is nothing left. It just doesn't work.

custard the cat RIP

Well it does work in fact, for a lot of people as well as me - but I admit I am stumped as to why it doesn't work for you. If you find a solution, please post it!

Sorry I wasn't making a blanket statement about it not working for everyone, just not for me.

custard the cat RIP

Yes, and I am sorry it doesn't work for you, it is frustrating. I'm happy to continue trying to make it work with your installation, but I am at a loss as to what to suggest next.

I figured it out.
In slideshow/lib.php The line breaks were not "translated" correctly when the file was unzipped. The screenshot below shows you what I mean. Once I went through the file and and fixed them all it worked just fine. The squares are where the line breaks should be.

custard the cat RIP

Will

That is brilliant! Just in lib.php?

Anyway, I guess I will have to look at my zip client. Thanks for your persistence. I hope the module works well for you.

Picture of Ignasi Tura
Catalan translation and some comments

Hi James!

Thank you for your very nice module!

I've translated it into Catalan. I attach here the language file.

Some issues. We use Moodle 1.7 with PostgreSQL:

- When installing Slideshow, i get the following message: Function modify_database() is deprecated. Replace it with the new XMLDB stuff.
-
I think that the following constant in lang/slideshow.php is unused: $string['captionedit'] = 'editing captions for ';
- In $string['keeporiginals'], it's not "seperate", it's "separate".
- In our textareas we use a regular textarea, not a HTML embedded editor. If the professor wants to put the thumbnails below the caption, he should
add a "<p>" after all the descriptions, if s/he does not want to see the
thumbnails to the right of the caption, which is happening now. This would be nice if it was not necessary.
- I've added some information to the README.txt in order to make it easier to install.

Hope everything is OK!

All the best!

Ignasi

custard the cat RIP
Slideshow Catalan translation and some comments

Hi Ignasi

Thanks very much for this - bizarrely I have just this week included a Catalan translation in the distribution archive, thanks to Carlos López. I will include your updated readme, though.

I haven't seen that warninge about "modify_database" installing on versions 1.6 through to 1.9. Of course it is true that I should replace it with the XMLDB stuff, and will get to it, but rest assured that it is only called on updating from a very old (pre-captions) version of slideshow module and isn't actually used on install. We use PostgreSQL too, but I try to make sure the module always works on MySQL too.

You are, of course, correct also about my misspelling and the redundant string.I will correct the spelling, but I may re-use that string at some point, so for now I have just commented it out in all language files. The problem with the lack of a trailing <p> is already fixed in the latest version.

Thanks so much for your feedback, I hope the module works well for you.

Cheers,
James

Picture of Ignasi Tura
Re: Slideshow Catalan translation and some comments

Hi James,

Thanks very much for this - bizarrely I have just this week included a Catalan translation in the distribution archive, thanks to Carlos López. I will include your updated readme, though

Yes, I've found it bizarre, too smile I've discussed with Carlos regarding the merge of the two language packs (thread -in Catalan- smile)and we have arrived to some conclusion: could you replace, please, the actual language pack with the one I attach here? Here there's too the mods.html and directory.html I forgot in my last message :s

Thanks so much for your feedback, I hope the module works well for you.

Thanks so much to you for all your great work!

;)

Ignasi

custard the cat RIP
Re: Slideshow Catalan translation and some comments

Hi Ignasi,

I have included the new files in the distribution archive (zip.gif slideshow.zip). Also, I have included the new XMLDB stuff now so it should install more smoothly on 1.7+!

Sorry to say my Catalan doesn't allow me to follow any discussions in that language wink

Thanks again to both of you for all your efforts,
all the best, James

Picture of Ignasi Tura
Bug in plain text + accents?

Hi to all,

We're experiencing in some of our machines some issue that I don't know it's limited to us or it's a bug in slideshow.

I try to reproduce it:

- Get a slideshow. In this slideshow settings, the HTML editor must be turned off, so you get a plain text textarea.
- Edit a caption from an image. Add an accent. I.e., you can add the accented letter à (you can copy and paste this letter if your keyboard does not have accents)
- Save changes
- Everything is OK
- Edit again
- Now you see the accented letter like when you read, in your browser, an UTF-8 character with the Western character encoding on.
- Don't touch anything: save changes again
- Boom!

ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x83 HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

INSERT INTO mdl_slideshow_captions ( ID, SLIDESHOW, IMAGE, TITLE, CAPTION ) VALUES ( 120, 3173, '3', '� ', '' )

This issue happens also in the titles of images, but with a difference: when you save changes for the first time, the display of the title is not OK, it's like that UTF with Western Encoding issue.

We don't have problems of this kind in other modules that use textareas and input type text.

I've tested this error with the following clients and two different moodles:

- An Iceweasel (Firefox) browser on Linux
- FF 2.0 and IE 7 on Windows XP.

Anything wrong? Do you have the same problem?

???

Thanks a lot for reading and your time,

Ignasi

custard the cat RIP
Re: Bug in plain text + accents?

Hi Ignasi

Thanks for finding this bug. I am afraid that I couldn't reproduce the error, although I did find a couple of problems and have made some changes to the code that will hopefully stop it from happening again. Please try the latest version and let me know if it doesn't cure it.

As usual the latest version is here:
zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Ignasi Tura

Hi James,

many thanks for your fast response and new version of slideshow. Now it works better but we still have some issues regarding it.

I've taken a look to the slideshow records in our databases and I've noticed that they are saved in the following way: it seems that the accented letters have been translated to the character entities equivalent of the UTF-8 codes of the accented letters.

E.g.

é is shown as &Atilde;&copy;, which is the equivalent in character entities of the UTF-8 translation of é, which is é.

In our installation, which is Moodle 1.7.2 with PostgreSQL (and the stuff saved there in UTF-8), the standard modules save the information in a way that, if you take a look to the corresponding table modules, you see an é as an é. (seen using the PgSQL client pgAdmin III).

Although the way slideshow saves stuff in the database does not cause any problem, I think that there are some circumstances which makes the SQL command crash:

- All the lowercase accented characters when converted to special characterized
UTF-8 (the example given) work correctly. This is not the case with uppercase special characterized UTF-8 accented letters.

I think this is because all the character entities used in uppercase special characterized UTF-8 accented letters are non-standard character entities (not compliant with HTML 4.0 and XHTML 1.0 specifications [1]).

Now this problem appears both in the HTML editor textarea and the plain textarea editor (and in the title).

Is necessary all that conversion?

I attach a file which exemplifies these issues. You can play with it by switching the character encoding from Western ISO to UTF-8 and viceversa in the browser (in Firefox, View -> Character encoding).

Many thanks for your help. I hope I've explained useful things and spotted on the problem! (cross fingers). If you need any anything more, please tell me.

wink

[1] O'Reilly H
TML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide, 5th Edition, By Bill Kennedy, Chuck Musciano. August 2002

custard the cat RIP

Hi Ignasi

I believe I have fixed it! Thanks for your help and comments, you were right about the database encoding; it had just crept in through convenience (laziness?) over time as the module developed the caption feature; the way it worked seemed fine, and character encodings aren't my strongest subject mixed

The latest version converts pre-existing entries, and I had no trouble pasting your table in here: http://virtual.cornwall.ac.uk/mod/slideshow/view.php?id=18359

As usual I have uploaded it to here:
zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Ignasi Tura

Many many thanks for your fast reply.

Now it does not crash, great!

But a suggestion: I've taken a look to the fields in our database and I still see the special characterized UTF-8 letters there. Not the same set of Ãwhatever, but certainly different from the plain accents which are displayed in the regular columns of the tables used by Moodle core stuff.

In mdl_lesson_answers, e.g., an é for the user when he sees it in the browser is an é for the developer which is seeing it through a database client.

And I've noticed this is the case in your field "name", from table mdl_slideshow. It appears correctly there: an é is an é.

It's in "title" and in "caption" from mdl_slideshow_captions where we see the unusual special characterized...

Another thing, a little bug: the "title" and "alt" HTML tags that appear in the image in view.php are not outputted correctly as the caption besides the image
is. Take a look by hovering over the image in the page you provided me, http://virtual.cornwall.ac.uk/mod/slideshow/view.php?id=18359&img_num=0.

Many many thanks for your support! As always, if you need something, please tell.

Have a nice weekend!

custard the cat RIP
Slideshow accents and characters fixed.

Ignasi,

Thanks for your patient help in debugging and tracking down this problem; I believe this is all fixed now. I hope the module proves useful to your users smile

In the latest version the slideshow name, titles, and captions should be able to deal with any characters inserted, and upgrading the module will attempt to correct incorrect title and caption entries in the database for existing installs of the slideshow module.

zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Hynek Černoch

I have solution for this bug:
Accented letters from other character sets than Latin1 are not displayed correct in the tittle and alt attribute while hover over the image.
e.g. caption "ÁČÇĎ абвгд אבגד" was displayed as "A?C? ???? ????"

File view.php line 167
replace line
- $plaintext = substr(htmlentities(utf8_decode(strip_tags(str_replace($plainsearch,$plainreplace,$captionstring)))),0,250);
with
+ $plaintext = substr(htmlspecialchars(strip_tags(str_replace($plainsearch,$plainreplace,$captionstring))),0,250);

This solution were tested on Czech, Russian, Hebrew and also is secure for quotes, apostrophe, ampersand and greater/less characters in the caption.

custard the cat RIP

Many thanks for this,

I have included this solution and your translation in the latest download.

zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Miguel Cazorla

I have a problem using slideshow, but may be it is a installation problem. When I try to use slideshow (having configured the image directory and so on), it shows the message 'The GD extension for PHP is not installed, so no thumbnails will be created.'
Then, I visit Administration >> Configuration >> Variables and it shows "GD 2x installed". At this point I do not know what it is happened. Any idea?? Is it a PHP problem?

custard the cat RIP

Hi Miguel

I have added a test for the "gd2" extension as well as "gd" - my own gd2 installs report as "gd", so I haven't come across this, but please try the latest download and let me know if it still throws the same error:

zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Miguel Cazorla

Hi, James:

Solved. It seems a Moodle problem (o can be a linux problem). GD support for PHP was not installed in the system (Red Hat Enterprise), but Moodle responds it is and uses GD (i think) to manipulate user images. Anyway, it is solved. Thanks a lot for your time.

Miguel

Picture of Ignasi Tura

Hi James,

how are you? I've found another bug in slideshow, so I describe it. I do it in the Moodle Tracker fashion smile

I EXPECT:

that the text in the captions is filtered by the active filters (site administration -> modules -> filters), i.e. Latex, JMol or word censorship.

WHAT I GOT:

the text is not filtered

so you can read 22 \subset 33 instead of the gif generated by the Latex filter ( $$22 \subset 33$$), or I can read foul words which have been added in the settings page of the word censorship filter (we don't use it but it's fun to test heh heh).

COMMENTS:

I think it's because you don't use the format_text function from lib/weblib.php. You use just "echo"

echo '<p style="margin-left : 5px">';
if ($slideshow->filename == 1){
echo '<p>'.$captionstring.'<p>';
} else if ($slideshow->filename == 3){
echo"\n<table cellpadding = 5>\n<tr><td valign=\"top\">";
}

I suppose that is the standard way. I've found this reason by taking a look to the book module code, which filters the output text, and uses the format_text function.

All the best and have a nice day,

Ignasi

custard the cat RIP

Hi Ignasi

Thanks for this, especially for finding a solution! It seems good to me, it's in the download now. I am not sure about the benefits of using the function to filter the title string - do you think it should?

Thanks again!

Picture of Ignasi Tura

Hi James,

excuse me from the long delay in answering you. in my job I've finished my involvement in Moodle and I've got some demanding work issues. Sorry again.

Regarding your question, I don't know, I'd try to grasp the standards by taking a look to the actual Moodle code. The more I adhere to the standards, the less I have to think :D

Hope you have a nice holiday, if you have!

Picture of Chen ZhongWei
An problem when many images are included

Hi, James,

I installed the block 2 weeks ago and it works well in one course. But I encountered a problem yesterday when I added many images into the folder: it displayed a blank page (with normal headers only).

Would you like to give me any help? And if it is possible to divede into pages (limited to 10-20 images per page) when many images to be showed ?

Thanks to your great work.

custard the cat RIP
Re: An problem when many images are included

Hi Chen

Setting the slideshow module to work on a folder containing a lot of images will sometimes cause the module to stall, especially if the files are large, while it creates the thumbnails and attempts to recompress the images all at once, this can exhaust the server's resources. In my experience the page reappears after a refresh, or sometimes two if there are very many, very large files.

If the module has created thumbnails but not managed to compress all the images, it can help to click the "force recompress files" link (at the bottom of the page when logged in with editing rights).

I will look at creating multiple index pages for many-imaged instances, but there currently isn't any way to achieve this. Interesting idea, though, thanks for that - I will add it to the "feature request" list.

James

zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of Chen ZhongWei
Re: An problem when many images are included

Thanks, James,

Yes, I uploaded lots of large images into one file folder. And I got it with your advise. I enjoy the module. Thanks.

Chen

Coney Island
Captions not included in backup and restore

James,
Your module works wonderfully on our Moodle 1.9.2! My teachers are going to love it.

I noticed some issues in the discussion here with captions being included in the backup and restore process and if I edit captions and do a backup and restore to another course I don't get teh new captions. My backuplib.php and restorelib.php files are dated April 2, 2008, which I think is the most recent version of those files you've posted.

Should this be working or not at this point?
Thanks so much,
Erik

custard the cat RIP
Re: Captions not included in backup and restore

Hi Erik,

Yes, backup/restore should definitely be working in 1.9 - certainly when I tried just now on my own test 1.9 install all the titles and captions were successfully restored as one would hope.

When you did this did you receive any error messages? Were the captions included in the moodle.xml file in the root of the backup zip archive?

Thanks for your feedback,
James

Coney Island
Re: Captions not included in backup and restore

Ah, now I see. I wasn't including the user files in the backup. Now it works!
Thanks, Erik

Picture of Yolanda Ordóñez Rufat
Bug 'slideshow view' not shown in Activity report

When you get the reports of a course you wont get the correct report for the action 'view' in the slideshow activities.
Neither in the Activity report nor in the log of an existing slideshow activity you get the action 'view'. You get it when you select 'All activities' in the log form.

This is due to a missing parameter in the add_to_log function around line 45 in the view.php file.

Where there's:
add_to_log($course->id, "slideshow", "view", "view.php?id=$cm->id", "$slideshow->id");
it should be:
add_to_log($course->id, "slideshow", "view", "view.php?id=$cm->id", "$slideshow->id",$cm->id);

I tested the patch in a moodle 1.9.2 with Postgres.

I hope this will be useful.

custard the cat RIP
'slideshow view' now shown in Activity report

Thanks for this, I have patched the file in the download.

At work

I would like to add a audio file with each caption, i add at lib.php:
$newcaption->audio = $captions['audio'.$i];
and at caption.php:
echo "<input type='file' name='audio'> Audio"; as well as enctype="multipart/form-data" at the form
but the audio value is Null

How can it be done ?

Thank´s in advance

Picture of Ian Ralph

Hi,

We've recently upgraded the server on which our instance of Moodle resides and our version of Moodle to 1.9.4.

Slideshows were working fine before the upgrade. Since the upgrades exsiting slideshows and newly created slideshows show the thumbnails as boxes with red crosses and the file name shown as alt text.

The main image shows fine and clicking on the thumbnails does allow navigation between the images.

For a slideshow on trees I see that one thumbnail that does not display (rivers.jpg) is located in:
[course directory #]/moddata/jpgs_data/trees/rivers.jp

rivers.jpg exists in that directory and the permissions on that file are world readable.

In order to solve the problem I've also downloaded and installed the latest version of slideshow (version.php shows 2009030900) but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ian

custard the cat RIP

Hi

Thanks for your help in fixing this Ian, it is sorted in the latest version.

Picture of Jason Colvard

Helo, the link to slideshow.zip is a 404.  is the module still available?  if so, please post a working link.  thank you; jc

custard the cat RIP

Hi Jason,

Our moodle site was offline yesterday for maintenance and upgrades. Today, the module is available again from the original link:

zip.gif slideshow.zip

Picture of amin jy

please help me...

i use filezilla to install slideshow to mod. but i still cannot use slide show...

please help me.

custard the cat RIP

What version of Moodle are you using?

There is good documentation here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_contributed_modules_or_plugins

Picture of John Andrewartha
I bundled the mod in yesterday and no worries. I just needed to set the default file size to 1000k. Modern cameras etc.. Just one minor issue. Thumbnails dont generate. Do I need to install imagemagic or have I forgotten a php extension?
BTW your Ginger. Is he she a "Killer Cat"? and what name does she he answer to?
John

custard the cat RIP

Hi John,

The slideshow mod needs GD (and the php-gd extension) to function, but it should give a warning if that isn't the case. I don't know about imagemagic - probably it could function as an alternative, but the module currently looks for gd or gd2.

What version of moodle are you using? Is the mod creating directories in course files /moddata? There was an issue when moodle tightened security around modules writing to that directory, but that should be fixed now.

You should be able to get away with much less than 1000k, too, if it is working properly - although the pictures you upload can be massive, once the module has resized them (within the constraints set in the options) the maximum before compression shouldn't need to be anything like that size.

The cat is Custard - a wider context might explain his expression! He was a dog lover - in fact it is thought that he believed himself to be one, though he is sadly no longer with us.

Custard

Picture of John Andrewartha
Hi James,
Yes the Moodle version is 1.9.5 gd 2.xxx installed and found.
Still no thumbnails or resizing. Minor only as what the student does not know they cant critique.
The debug output
----------
The field $cm->modname should be set if you call build_navigation with a $cm parameter. If you get $cm using get_coursemodule_from_instance or get_coursemodule_from_id, this will be done automatically.
  • line 3804 of lib/weblib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 69 of mod/slideshow/view.php: call to build_navigation()
The field $cm->name should be set if you call build_navigation with a $cm parameter. If you get $cm using get_coursemodule_from_instance or get_coursemodule_from_id, this will be done automatically.
  • line 3812 of lib/weblib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 69 of mod/slideshow/view.php: call to build_navigation()

--------------------
John

custard the cat RIP

Hi

Thanks for this. I expect this debug output will give some useful pointers - I haven't had the chance to do some (long overdue) updating to the slideshow for a while. However, while I get the same messages in 1.9 when I turn debug on, the module works fine in that install.

When logged in with editing permissions, what messages do you get when you click "force recompress files"?

Picture of Roger Brüderlin
German translation (utf-8)

I added a german translation (utf-8, including help-files) to the slideshow module. Seems to work properly with moodle 1.9.7.
Zip-file is attached.

Thanks for this useful module!
Roger

custard the cat RIP
Re: German translation (utf-8)

That's great Roger,
I will include this in the next build of the module - I am currently moving house to a new job and I may not be able to do this until the new year, but your input is most appreciated.

Many thanks,
James

Michael Ditsch

Hi,

I tried to download latest slideshow.zip:
http://virtual.cornwall.ac.uk/downloads/slideshow.zip
but:
"The requested URL /downloads/slideshow.zip was not found on this server"

May someone send me latest slideshow.zip?

Thanks!

Michael

Picture of Jeff Stanford

Hi Michael

I have a version of slideshow.zip from 2009 if you can't find a more recent one. Let me know.

Jeff

Michael Ditsch

Hi Jeff,

thank you for your fast response!

If your slideshow version will work with Moodle 1.9.7 I would like to accept your offer.

Thank you!

Michael

custard the cat RIP

Hi,

It should work, thanks Jeff, and I am sorry about the disappearing download; I was assured the file would remain available at that URL, but it is completely out of my control. I will arrange a new permanent home for the module soon.

Picture of koen roggemans
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
Hi James,

Have you considered hosting it on the Moodle download server? It's probably the best place for contributed code with version control, download statistics, ...

See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Guidelines_for_contributed_code for details how to set up an account, get your space, issue tracker, download link, ...

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11
+1 for Koen's comment.

One aspect of the Contributed modules and plugins area that can be frustrating (for community users) is when a link is broken, or the code is so old it isn't working with newer versions.

I know Anthony is working on all sorts of ideas to make this area more 'useful and accurate' - but perhaps insisting that contributed mods are hosted on the Moodle download server could be one on the improvements? It doesn't stop developers hosting elsewhere of course, but it does mean people using the Mods and Plugins area will always have a file to download! wink

Perhaps on the 'out of date' factor we could make a new category called 'Unmaintained' and move out of date entries into that?

Stu

Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
It is a difficult one Stuart. When is a module out of date? There are more categories possible like 'not safe for production servers' or 'not translatable'.
At the moment there is no quality assurance at all for the modules and plugins. It would be nice to have at least the top 20 in http://download.moodle.org/stats.php officially reviewed and commented, but that is not happening yet.
There will be an integration of the contributed modules and plugins on Moodle.org in the new translation tool (see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Languages/AMOS last paragraph), so that is another reason to get code on the Moodle servers.

custard the cat RIP

Hi Koen

Thanks for your comment - I have an account and had considered that but was plagued with doubt about how long the module would last before it was eclipsed by the database module, but it may as well go up there.

Meantime, please find attached to this post the latest version of the archive I have tracked down.

Hi James,

You might have lost your account due to the CVS server move - if you like, you can reapply on http://moodle.org/cvs and drop a line to Anthony Borrow (he does CVS access for the contrib area and the form doesn't send email notifications to the CVS administrators).

Picture of William Lu

It works perfect on my Moodle 1.9.7. The slideshow is exactly what we need. I suggest to add it into Moodle core module. Thank you very much James.

Picture of William Lu

I love this Slideshow very much. It is easier to use than any other gallery. With all function we need. (Title, Blurb, html area...)

To suit my site, I changed the popup window from 'Set background to black' to White. Also, add buttons to replace the << II >>.

I hope someone can help me to move the Control buttons at the top of images.

Ideally, the Bgcolour/Button location/Button images should be changed in Module setting page.

Thanks

custard the cat RIP

Just to say the slideshow module download is now hosted on the Moodle download server, latest version at http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/slideshow.zip

Picture of Jeff Stanford

Hi
Sorry for the silence. I was away for a long weekend skiing in Italy...
In case you still need the older file, here it is.

Regards
Jeff

Michael Ditsch

Hi Jeff,

thanks a lot!

Still no thumbnails sad

Kind regards
Michael

Picture of Thomas Pullen
Re: Slideshow problem

Hi,

I have the Slideshow module running on a production Moodle 1.9.5 environment.

2 problems:

1) "Autoplay in popup" doesn't work nicely.
If I click it, yes I see the first slide ok.
If I press the little blue arrows to advance the slide
(which is necessary, because despite the word "autoplay"
it doesn't actually autoplay), I get the second slide,
but with the full Moodle header on top, which looks ridiculous.
You see the slide, and above it the school logo and the full
menu. I'm not sure if this is due to our Focus SIS integration or
not , it might be a factor.

2) IF you click a photo to advance the slideshow, it reloads every image on the page, including every thumbnail. So there is like a 3 second pause waiting for all the images to reload, it doesn't look very good.

3) Does anyone know how I can have "show course blocks" when using this module? It's not an option in the module itself, like it is when adding an HTML page or similar. How can I add this manually?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

custard the cat RIP

Hi,

Sorry to hear the slideshow module isn't working for you - it usually behaves more like this. I don't think there is any way to display blocks, nor will there be until the module is refactored for moodle 2.

Your other issues may be connected with your SIS integration, but I suspect there are other issues underlying these problems. What is the server setup you are using? Are you using the latest version of the code? It is now available at http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/slideshow.zip

Picture of Nichole Bryant

This module is excellent! I am developing a site for a photographer's site and this is a great way to share his galleries. I was wondering how difficult it would be to add drop down menus next to the main picture for ordering sake.

This wouldn't begin to include monetary exchange. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for customers to click on the pictures and go, yes I want to order 1 8x10 of that 4 4x6's etc.

If that could input like a form and out put something like:
Image Number
Quantity
Size

12947.jpg
8x10

12947.jpg 4
4x6

23780.jpg
12x15

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Picture of William Lu

Dear James,

I love your Slideshow very much.

But, I upgraded to Moodle 2.0 and the slideshow dosn't work any more!

Please help!

Thanks

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11

I don't think this non-standard module works with Moodle 2.0.

Remember that almost all non-standard modules will not work in Moodle 2.0 if they were developed for Moodle 1.9 unless/until the developer has the time to re-engineered the code.

custard the cat RIP

The module has been ported to Moodle 2 by Alan Whittamore. I have sent William a copy to try, and am working with Anthony Borrow to get the new version in the contrib section of CVS.

Picture of Steve Iman

It's great to know that an update is being worked on for Slideshow. I very much look forward to the availability of this for Moodle 2 as well. sciman@csupomona.edu

custard the cat RIP

Please see http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-2321

The 2.0 version is available for download there. Please be aware that it hasn't been widely tested as yet, so any feedback would be welcome.

Picture of Katja Krüger
Re: Slideshow problem Moodle 2.0

I downloaded and installed the slideshow-module from the tracker (the one for Moodle 2.0). I have installed Moodle 2.0.2, made  an directory put images in it and tried to add that directory to the slideshow. Slideshow could not find or display any images in the files repository. The directory was there and when I go to the repository from another place, the images are there.

Bryan Dawson

I have the same problem as Katja.  Slideshow doesn't cope at all with the way M2.0 handles folders of files, no matter whether they are Files, Private Files or bespoke repositories.

Picture of William Lu

Dear James,

The Slideshow is working on my Moodle2.02 now. Thanks! Only one small problem: when Editing caption, the thumbnail doesn't show. But, it is not a big issue, because it can show the image name. It will be good if it can show the image thumbnail as it for Moodle1.9x.

Picture of Brian Turner

ok, hope someone can help me ....

something happened our moodle site the other day and its now working again.

but now when i create a new slideshow inside a course, slideshow creates its moddata folder ok, but doesnt put anything in it ? also there are no thumbnails when viewing the slideshow ?

can anyone help me out here ?

thanks

ps. folder permissions are at 0777, just for info.

heidi

Is it possible to allow users to add pictures into this module/ these folders? Maybe somebody has experience in that ?

Regards, Heidi

custard the cat RIP
Re: Slideshow module - missing thumbnail fix

Hi Brian and others,

I had never replicated the "missing thumbnail" problem in it's latest incarnation, mostly owing to time constraints, until yesterday, when I lay in bed with 'flu trying to set up a 1.9 moodle for a local group and there it was - no thumbnails.

It seems that moodle core code has gradually changed how it accesses files in the 'moddata' directory - I haven't been able to find any documentation of how or why, so if anyone has an explanation I'd be interested. Regardless, I attach a refactored version of the slideshow module for 1.9 that puts the thumbnails in a new directory within the original image directory, no longer relying on the vaguaries of 'moddata'.

The new version is completely compatible with existing installs. I will attend to getting the module database etc. in order when I have some more energy. Thanks for your patience smile

Peter Jonker

Can somebody explain me how I manage the standard permissions for this module. Every time a slideshow has been added I have to give teachers permissions in my admin role.

Picture of Rick Barnes

A question about image file size.

I have just been told by our host that some courses that I set up for school residential trips that are almost entirely made of slideshows are using up a huge amount of space. I hadn't set the option for deleting the original images. I have changed this setting for the activity, will this work on it's own or will I have to find some way to force the change on the old slideshows?

Me, with my new 'slow explosion' hair!
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi James.

I have just installed the 2.0 version from the Mods and Plugins page, and on installation into Moodle 2.1+ (Build: 20110713) received the following message:

STATEMENTS section is not supported any more, please use db/install.php or db/log.php

line 135 of /lib/xmldb/xmldb_file.php: call to debugging()
    line 385 of /lib/ddl/database_manager.php: call to xmldb_file->loadXMLStructure()
    line 406 of /lib/ddl/database_manager.php: call to database_manager->load_xmldb_file()
    line 502 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to database_manager->install_from_xmldb_file()
    line 265 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
    line 1460 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
    line 317 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

Installation itself seems to have succeeded though. smile

Cheers, Vaughany.

Picture of David Perry
Group Testers

I cannot upload a ZIP File to the file area of a Slideshow resource to mass upload photos (I get an error ZIP archivetype not supported).

But it works in the moodle core Folder resource type. What am I missing?

Picture of Rebecca Barrington

We are getting the same issue.  We would really like to find a solution as our staff are getting a little annoyed that they have to upload one at a time!

custard the cat RIP

Thanks for this input. The latest version now allows zip uploads and again displays thumbnails in the "edit captions" page. I have created a github repository for the slideshow for moodle 2. The module is available at https://github.com/noparadise/moodle-mod_slideshow/zipball/master

Picture of Josir Gomes

Hi folks,

the slideshow module is working fine on my site and now I want to get it better.

So I wonder if it's possible:

- to disable the thumbnail

- get bigger images

- starts directly with a separated popup window

My goal is to have just big images with a navigator (foward/rewind). I think students can loose focus viewing the next slides.

Thanks in advance,

Josir Gomes

Me at Wu Zhun, near Shanghai

Does this module wirk with Moodle 2.1.2+ 

Toshimi

Yes, it does. I confirmed it worked with Moodle 2.1.2.

However, the page header including site logo, course name and menubar was gone away. This might be a easy bug.

Toshimi

You should insert the following code around the line 34 of view.php.

$PAGE->set_url('/mod/slideshow/view.php',array('id' => $cm->id));
    $PAGE->set_heading($course->fullname);
    $PAGE->set_button($OUTPUT->update_module_button($cm->id, 'slideshow'));

Picture of Chris Cabrera

Hey.  I am having a problem.  I am using moodle 2.1.2 but when I try to run this mod it tells me that it can't be installed and is out of date.  

Hi James. I have an odd error to report, but bear with me...

When I deleted a block I'm developing from our 2.2 installation (which has nothing to do with your slideshow module), I received the following error:

STATEMENTS section is not supported any more, please use db/install.php or db/log.php
line 135 of /lib/xmldb/xmldb_file.php: call to debugging()
line 446 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to xmldb_file->loadXMLStructure()
line 404 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to get_used_table_names()
line 294 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to drop_plugin_tables()
line 101 of /admin/blocks.php: call to uninstall_plugin()

I thought it was to do with my development, but no such statement existed.  Through trial and error I found it is caused by the <STATEMENTS> section in your slideshow module's db/install.xml file.

It's not a critical error, and only happens when I delete a plugin, not install one, so it's not high priority.

Cheers,

Paul.

Picture of Thomas Futschek

Hey,

is it anyhow possible to disable the auto resizing of images? Because I can really see the quality lose...

Thank you for your help!

Picture of Dharani Kumar M

Hi,

I could successfully install this module on moodle 2.2 version and play with the module. But I don't see the images being ordered according to the alphabetical oder. Is there any way to have an ordering in the way the images are displayed in the slide show.

Thanks,

Dharani Kumar

Picture of Edwin Nyella

I have just installed SlideShow module in Moodle 2.2 and got this error message:

No formslib form description file found for this activity.

What could be the problem?.

Picture of David Perry
Group Testers

I just put it on my 2.2 test system (2.2.2, from a weekly build 20120504) and it went on fine (mod_slideshow - success) and let me create a slideshow just fine.

Anything in the error logs?

Norbert Forster

Hi all,
here is a new error while installing in moodle2.2.2:

Debug info: Missing version.php
Stack trace:
line 438 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown
line 271 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
line 1449 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
line 269 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

Has anybody more success in 2.2.2?

greets

At work

Hi

I do install on Moodle 2.2.2, the only problem i found is the path to the images, they does not appear.

In view.php line 85 we have this $urlroot = $CFG->wwwroot.'/pluginfile.php/'.$context->id.'/mod/slideshow/content/0';

I do open moodledata and see the images, it just seems that the path is not translated to a valid path.

Is there any fix  ?

Thank's in advance 

At work

In slideshow_caption_array i change this line to work on Postgresql:

if($caption = $DB->get_record_select("slideshow_captions", "slideshow = ". $id ." AND image = '".$image."'")) {

Picture of Andreas Schenkel
Re: Slideshow module again moodle 2.2.*

I am testing the module slideshow on moodle 2.2.3 in order to update an existing moodle from 1.9.* to moodle 2.*. 

For installation only unzip slidehow.zip to the mod-dicetory the plugin is automatically installed when openning a page in moodle.

Also it is possible to make new slideshows and add pictures to this slideshows.

But already existing slideshows from courses that where updated from moodle 1.9.  do not contain any images.

I think the reason is, that  "the course files area in Moodle 2.0 are deprecated "

Do I have to make new slideshows for every existing (about 160) slideshow or is there a way to make it automaticaly update the old slideshows to moode 2.*-slideshows?

Norbert Forster
Re: Slideshow module again moodle 2.2.*

Hi Andreas,

activating ->plugins ->Repositories ->Common repository settings ->"Legacy course files in new courses" (in german ->plugins ->Repositories ->Grundeinstellungen für Dateiverwaltungen ->"'Alte Kursdateien' in neuen Kursen") before importing your slideshows may help since you have "legacy" pics in "legacy-folders" from your old slideshows.

lg
Norbert

Picture of Michael Veit

Hi,

I have the version 2011101100 of the slideshow and Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120914).

The message is: The specified URL could not be loadedThe only problem seems to be that the path is not valid.Slideshow issue with the path?

The files are in the folder of moodledata/... and in the database table, the data also.

In Moodle 2.2.4, everything works fine. Perhaps, it's the same issue? What was the solution? The change of the function slideshow_caption_array had no effect.

Does anyone know a solution? I would like to use this plugin again.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Picture of ahmad hamwi

Is there any news about support for moodle 2.3?

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of Lisa Stevens

+1

This is the only module that we use a lot in our current 1.9 install that I can't find an adequate replacement for in 2.3.

Picture of David Perry
Group Testers

+1 - our staff are a big fan of this, as am I. Fixing that one line for the path thing over summer (for v2.3) would be nice. NOTE that when Updating an existing slideshow, the files show there in the file picker complete with thumbnails.

Picture of Michael Veit

I hope too that the slideshow module will be updated for moodle 2.3 because it's a good module in the combination image and description.

Picture of Donald Hew

I have successfully found a fix from <https://github.com/noparadise/moodle-mod_slideshow/pull/3>; and in summary:

replace
send_stored_file($file,86400,0,false,$file->get_filename(),false);
to
send_stored_file($file,86400,0,false,array('filename' => $file->get_filename()),false);
in lib.php

Using Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20121018) under IIS 7.5

Picture of Michael Veit

Thank you very much for this link!

With the change, it works very well. I used the existing files of Paul Vaughan (https://github.com/noparadise/moodle-mod_slideshow/pull/3/files ). (To copy the file click the button "View file @ ...".)

Only when creating captions, I get the following issue:
Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\mod\slideshow\lib.php on line 184

However, the captions are stored and displayed. I sent Paul Vaughan a message about it. Maybe, he'll fix it.

Hi there. Make a new line on line 184 and add this:

$newcaption = new object();

This should remove the error (although I'm not seeing it myself in production or on our test server).

Cheers. smile

Picture of Michael Veit

Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your help. Now it is working perfectly.

So long
Michael

Picture of Michael Veit

I opened a tracker at the URL http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3987 .
If interested, then you can vote for it.

Greetings
Michael

Well done for opening the tracker entry, but looking at the commits on GutHub going back one year, and the lack of activity with the pull requests (two from myself), I think we can say this module's no longer in active development. This is a pity, but does happen from time to time.

Norbert Forster

I had to make both above mentioned changes now it works with 2.3.3.
Only the preview-images shown while editing captions are missing.

It's realy a great help - thanks Donald and Paul.

Isn't there anyone to put the corrections in the github?

This is the only slide/image-plugin supporting captions with complete html-support - we use it very extensively...

Picture of Michael Veit

Hello Norbert,

with the new version the thumbnails on the caption page are displayed again. The slideshow zip file is attached to the form post by me from Sa, 29. Dezember 2012, 03:03.

In the hope that it will be useful for you.

So long
Michael

Picture of Michael Veit

Because of this I changed a few things. The undelying files for the development comes from you.

view.php

• line 44: add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> --> so the special characters (e.g. ä, ü) are displayed correctly
  • line 45, 46: background-color: no black but dark (#161514)
  • line 64: preg_match: add "i" to ignore uppercase and lowercase in the file extensions

mod_form.php

• line 32: replacing of term by get_string (yes / no)
  • line 35: add Help Button for the filemanager

caption.php

• line 50: replacing of eregi by preg_match, add i to ignore uppercase and lowercase in the file extensions
  • line 51: replacing of eregi by preg_match
  • line 54: replacing of eregi by preg_match

edit_form.php

• line 36: replacing of term by get_string (save)

settings.php

• line 3, 5, 7: replacing of term by get_string (maxwidth, maxheight and secure pix)

language

• add get_string en english language
  • add german language

Paul, perhaps you can add the files to your website: https://github.com/noparadise/moodle-mod_slideshow/pull/3

In the hope that it will be useful.

So long
Michael

Picture of PBSL John

As part of coursework for an OSS course I've taken this semester, two classmates and I have fixed up a few issues for this activity and added new features:

Fixed issues

• Internationalised many strings
  • Thumbnails in caption editing now display correctly
  • When deleting a slideshow the captions are actually deleted from the database
  • Replace calls to eregi with preg_match (I think we covered your fixes Michael)

New features

• Add comments to each slide
  • Keep track of reading position. When opening a slideshow it loads the last reading position by default
  • Add YouTube/Vimeo video to each slide with the ability to position it

Backup and restore of the comments, last read positions and media work correctly.

Here's a link to our GitHub repository: https://github.com/PBSLjohn/moodle-mod_slideshow

Picture of Michael Veit

Thanks for the development. The function with the Videos could be interesting.

I'm testing your version a little bit with a local moodle version and I have found two issues.

• The position of the images is always left. The settting of the position hasn't function.
  • The thumbnails in the caption page will be displayed only if the file is really ending with the extension jpg.

To show the thumbnails in the caption page again, I've made in the last few weeks a few changes. (The changes based of my version of Montag, 19. November 2012).

If you create a new slideshow, the full filename is stored with the extension in the database table "slideshow_captions" in the field "image".

If there are slideshows already, then the thumbnails are also displayed. Wether the full name is stored in the database table depends on the server system.
I tested this local with xampp: full filename was stored.
And I tested this on the live server: full filname wasn't  stored.
But for the function it isn't important.

The follow files were changed:

• caption.php
  • edit_form.php
  • lib.php
  • view.php

I have marked the changes with "MV". Maybe you want to apply these changes.

Other changes are:

view.php

• line 51 - 58: add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> --> so the special characters (e.g. ä, ü) are displayed correctly if the background is white.

captions.php

• line 38: add the full name of the course in the header

version.php

• line 27: version 2012122700

In the hope that it will be useful.

So long
Michael

Picture of Michael Veit

I found another bug:

• The description can be found in the html code, but isn't visible on the website. It might be behind the image. If you delete the image from the website (not from the slideshow) than you can see the description.

Regards
Michael

Picture of PBSL John

Pushed changes to github with various fixes. I also sent a pull request to Paul Vaughan's repo yesterday, to try and keep the module from fragmenting too much.

The position of the images is always left. The settting of the position hasn't function.

Do you mean the "Centred" setting? It works for me in both Chrome and Firefox.

The thumbnails in the caption page will be displayed only if the file is really ending with the extension jpg.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, .png and .jpg files both show the thumbnail on the caption editing page for me.

view.php

• line 51 - 58: add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> --> so the special characters (e.g. ä, ü) are displayed correctly if the background is white.

Incorporated this, and also fixed the markup. It was missing html and body opening tags.

captions.php

• line 38: add the full name of the course in the header

Added it to media.php and the autopopup as well

I found another bug:

• The description can be found in the html code, but isn't visible on the website. It might be behind the image. If you delete the image from the website (not from the slideshow) than you can see the description.

I fixed both under the image and to the right of the image caption display.

Might I suggest you clone one of the repositories on github? It's easier than using zip files to share changes.

Picture of Michael Veit

"The thumbnails in the caption page will be displayed only if the file is really ending with the extension jpg.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, .png and .jpg files both show the thumbnail on the caption editing page for me."

OK. Probably it is caused by the uppercase. To accept uppercase and lowercase in the file extension, add in lib.php in line 345 "i":

Zele 345: if (  preg_match("/\.jpe?g$/i", $file_record->filename) || preg_match("/\.gif$/i", $file_record->filename) || preg_match("/\.png$/i", $file_record->filename))

Regards
Michael

Picture of PBSL John

Fixed it and pushed to the repo. Thanks for your input smile

Picture of Michael Veit

"The thumbnails in the caption page will be displayed only if the file is really ending with the extension jpg.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, .png and .jpg files both show the thumbnail on the caption editing page for me."

Once again, the thumbnails in the caption page don't appear, because it is set generally the file extension ".jpg". Also is displayed the filename always with the filename extension ".jpg, regardless of which it is actually. This is the case on my local system as well as on the test server. Until now, I don't found the cause.

Picture of PBSL John

You might be running an outdated version; I fixed this a few revisions ago and it's currently working for me with png images (see attached image). Here is the latest version.

Picture of Michael Veit

In another slideshow it is always the extension ".PNG". There are images with this extension but not all. The images have different extensions. The position of the image (postion 1, 2, 3, ...) with the displayed extension is different, not always the same.

Picture of PBSL John

Do you mean that the images with different extension aren't displaying? Were they displayed in previous versions (Paul Vaughan or James Barrett's)? I think the module expects all images to be the same format, allowing multiple formats might be quite a big change; I'll have a look tomorrow.

Picture of Michael Veit

Thumbnails/(Imagees) with different extension in the same slideshow don't be displayed in the caption page. In the slideshow modules (for moodle 1.X) from James Barrett the thumbnails in the caption page have been produced by the database information: slideshow_captions --> image and the html code ".jpg". This worked as long as only jpg file extension were accepted.

In the version for moodle 2.x there weren't thumbnails on the caption page.

If you can solve it, it would be a fine thing.

In my version I changed the database record in the table slideshow_comments in the field image. If it is a new slideshow, the filename is written with extension. If it is a old slideshow, the thumbnails in the caption page are also displayed. Wether the change is applied to the database depends on the server. Maybe it could be also a solution for you.

Picture of PBSL John

Regarding the centre option, what resolution is your screen? When the centred option is active what gets centred is a 960px div (slide image and comments column). If your resolution is on the lower end the div might take up the whole width of the screen, cancelling the effect.

I've made comments optional now, and the second column is only displayed if comments are enabled and/or captions are shown to the right of the image. With comments disabled and captions either off or above/below the image you should see the effect of enabling centred images.

Picture of Michael Veit

OK. If the setting "Centred?" works (slideshow admin setting) depends on wether comments are allowed or not:

If the standard page "view.php" is displayed:

• allowed --> no function --> always left
  • not allowed --> function --> centred (default) or left

But the comments are always above on the standard page (view.php) and then would be nice if the images are displayed also centred (and the comments also).

Picture of PBSL John

I think this may have to do with your screen's resolution (what resolution do you have?). If comments are enabled the whole section is probably too wide to notice whether it is centred or not. I can't think of any elegant alternative other than allowing comments to be disabled. That makes the section narrower, which makes it clear when it is centred. See the attached image: the top is the result with centerd disabled, the bottom is the result with centred enabled on a 1600x900 screen.

If this is not how it's being displayed on your Moodle installation, you may not be running the latest version, see my last post for the link.

Picture of William Lu

I found the latest version from:

https://github.com/PBSLjohn/moodle-mod_slideshow

Installed it on my Moodle2.4 and Moodle2.5. All are working beautifully.

I like the new looks:

1. Full size image does not have the blue link border
2. No blue < || > at the bottom of Pop-up page
3. Edit caption show image thumbnails and names.

Our staff and students love this module so much and we have been using this mod for years.
 Still don't know why Moodle does not include this fantastic mod into core code and even not in the Plugin directory YET!

Picture of Petr Kalis

Hi Could anyone help me how to select directory with pictures for Slideshow instance? I am not able persuade File picker to select only a directory, not to add all files.

I am using up-to-date version from github on 2.4.5 Moodle.