customcert - Duplicate customcert_issue records causing Scheduled task to fail

customcert - Duplicate customcert_issue records causing Scheduled task to fail

by Ray Hinton -
Number of replies: 3

I am using customcert 3.6.3 (2018120303).

I recently upgraded to Moodle 3.6.5+ (Build: 20190718) and, at the same time, I am phasing out the old certificate plugin in favor of customcert. So, I've been checking Scheduled tasks once a day, just to make sure things are running smoothly.

I noticed today that \mod_customcert\task\email_certificate_task was failing. Long story short, I found that one person appears to have duplicate certificates (userid and customcertid the same for 2 records; timecreated is also the same; code is unique). That is causing the Scheduled task to fail, and preventing me/the user from downloading the certificate.

Running it manually, I got an error message like this:

Scheduled task failed: Handles emailing certificates. (mod_customcert\task\email_certificate_task),Multiple records found, only one record expected.
Debug info:
SELECT * FROM {customcert_issues} WHERE userid = ? AND customcertid = ?
[array (
  0 => '12345',
  1 => '5',
)]

(note: userid number has been changed.)

Indeed, in customcert_issues, I see two records for that user, with the exact same timestamp. There are no other records with duplicate userid and customcertid values.

When I download the CSV from the plugin, I only see one record for the person with the matching email address. I cannot tell which "issue" record it thinks it is reporting, since it does not reference the code or issue id number. When I try to download the certificate for that person, I get the same kind of error as above.

When I hover my mouse over the delete button, it does mention an actual customcert_issues id number - the one with the higher id number.

There do not appear to be an abnormal number of grade_grades, grade_history, or quiz_attempts records for this person.

Do you think this is just some odd hiccup from my server or something? Or a bug, which I could possibly help more with identifying?

And to resolve it, do you have any suggestions? In the plugin interface, I do see there is a "delete" button. For the sake of diagnosing the problem, I am tempted to leave it alone. But, it is also causing any other new issues (for other users) to fail emailing the certificate. smile

To put it another way: I understand what is causing the Scheduled task and so on to fail (there are duplicate records). I do not understand how the duplicate records were created in the first place. I think I can solve the immediate problem (delete the bad certificate using the plugin), but I am always curious to figure out why things happen.

Anyway, thanks for this great plugin! I'll update with any other information or actions I take.

- Ray

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Hinton

Re: customcert - Duplicate customcert_issue records causing Scheduled task to fail

by Ray Hinton -
Update: I used the plugin interface to delete the certificate for the person with duplicate records. I looked in the database table, and indeed, they now only had one customcert_issues record. Then I could download a certificate for them. After clearing the fail delay for the Scheduled task, it is running normally and sending out the backed up emails.

So, that resolves the immediate issue, but I am still curious as to how I ended up with duplicate customcert_issues records.
In reply to Ray Hinton

Re: customcert - Duplicate customcert_issue records causing Scheduled task to fail

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Mark Nelson

by Ray Hinton -
Thanks for taking a look, Mark! Good to know that you're familiar with this kind of thing, at least, and that it does not seem to be a frequent occurrence.