Parent Access to Child’s Moodle

Parent Access to Child’s Moodle

napisao/la Javier Escalera -
Broj odgovora: 3

Hello,

We never enabled the Parent Role and have always relied on password sharing for parents to get into student’s Moodle courses.

But a trend seems to be arising in our school: it seems that either students are not sharing passwords with their parents, or parents do not want to ask the students for their passwords. Either way, I am looking for a quick way to allow parents in, while not investing too much time into it. Implementing the Parent role is probably more than I can chew right now.

Does anyone know of a different approach? My thoughts are along the lines of allowing parents somehow change the password to Moodle, perhaps by adding their own email to the student profile, in a way that can be used in the forgotten password routine. The idea is to leave the school out of whatever password struggles the family may have.

Do you think that could work? Or does anyone have a different/better solution?

Thanks in advance for your time.

JEB

Odgovor na Javier Escalera

Re: Parent Access to Child’s Moodle

napisao/la Howard Miller -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just implement the parent role. It's quite well documented.

You're really saying, "Moodle has a way of doing something but I don't want to do it.". Well..... you know namiguša
Odgovor na Howard Miller

napisao/la John Provasnik -
Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers
Unfortunately I still find Moodle's parent role (Mentor role) to be lacking (in the sense that parents expect to see more information than the role allows in its unmodified form). It does provideo the basics (list of enrolled courses, grades of activities the student currently has access to, logs/though unable to be filtered) but There are numerous posts and Moodle trackers not yet answered or resolved regarding giving parents access to "more."

Generally the best way to implement the mentor/parent role IMHO to to use it in conjunction with a custom block/plug in that allows for additional information to be available to parents, such as who the teachers are of the courses students are taking, better ability to filter logs, see what assignments students submitted that are awaiting grading, and see how their child is doing on a weekly basis (versus only cumulative progress). Parents don't want to spend time rooting through kids to see what works was done in the current week, they'd rather see a list of items. I wish parents could see the student "Overview Report" or their Dashboard!

I had temporary success enrolling parents (with a modified/limited non-editing teacher role) in the course along with the student and using separate groups mode with each parent and child in their own group... allowed the parent to basically see what I wanted, but it was too much work on my end to maintain in courses with 100 students - the groups got out of hand!

I am open to any other suggestions others have found to be successful.... I did have Remote Learner build a custom block that gives mentors live information for weekly progress for what has been submitted / graded / not yet graded in each course. Yes even with this, Parents still ask me for "more!"
Odgovor na John Provasnik

napisao/la Javier Escalera -

Thanks for the replies. 

I am afraid I am in the beginning of that same journey, nothing is ever enough.

Not trying to ignore the parent role, I just have too many other fronts open and this one is a low probability success. Better left for later, if ever.

Thanks again