PHP Downgrade produced connection to MySQL problem

PHP Downgrade produced connection to MySQL problem

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am trying to help look at some bugs and wanted to downgrade from PHP 5.1.1 to PHP 4.4.2 but after I do so I seem to not be able to connect to my MySQL 5.0.17 server. I am working on a Windows XP Pro workstation and using Apache 2.0.55.  PHP 4.4.2 is working fine with the mysql section on the phpinfo page. MySQL is also working as I can connect through the mysql command. When I switch back to PHP 5.1.1 (change the php.ini file, set the path variables, and reconfigure Apache) it works fine. Any suggestions as to what might be causing the connection error?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: PHP Downgrade produced connection to MySQL problem

by Gert Jan Bouman -
I assume the error_log file tells you the error that is happening.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you sure you are using the right mysql extension? I seem to remember there are two different mysql extensions in PHP 4.4.x, aiming at different MySQL versions.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The problem was not with the mysql extension - it was the infamous 'old password' issue where if you are using an older client (which php 4.4.2 does) then you must tell mysql to use old passwords. I downloaded and installed mySQLAdministrator, set old passwords on and then went to my user account and changed the password. Then I restarted the mysql server to ensure a privilege flush and all works fine with the PHP 4.4.2, MySQL 5.0.17 install. Peace.