I have something very mysterious that happened with CustomCert. And although it happened only once, and it may not happen again, I need to know what happened to ensure it will not happen in the future, as it caused a lot of confusion. I have done my best to figure out what happened from the front-end.
In short, we upgraded Moodle.
1. Before the upgrade we were using LegacyCert. and were using Grades as a completion condition to receiving the certificate.
2. On July 6th, 2019 I added CustomCert for all students who have not yet received a Legacy Cert, so that the certificate they will be receiving from now on is a CustomCert not the LegacyCert, and removed access to generating a LegacyCert from all of these courses.
3. For many of these courses I continued to use grades as the completion condition for receiving the CustomCert. (For others I used the CourseCompletion as a completion condition for CustomCert, but that is not relevant here).
4. On July 11th, without the students logging in and without the students clicking to receive a Custom Cert CustomCert automatically issued a certificate to any user who was enrolled in a course that was using Grade Completion requirements and who had previously completed the grades completion requirement and received a Legacy Cert. It did not issue the certificates when the certificate was created (which might have made more sense), it issued them on a random date of July 11th.
5. What resulted was that any student who had already completed the course and received a Legacy Cert, was then issued a Custom Cert on July 11th. (The main issue we had with this, was not the student's receiving two certificates, but that certiticate completions are logged in Config. Reports and we then had duplicate records which caused a lot of problems...)
6. I understand that CustomCert does not "Issue" a certificate unless the student clicks on the "View Certificate" link. So I want to understand why it automatically issued certificates here.
In short the main issue here is that CustomCert automatically issued certificates for student's who had completed its grade completion requirements, but had not clicked to "View Certificate." And it also did so on a seemingly random date without student log-in to trigger such an action.
Assistance on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!