moodle upgrade docs are stupid and broken

Re: moodle upgrade docs are stupid and broken

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In addtion to the other comments, I would just like to point out that the people you complaining too are just moodle users trying to help each other. And the help docs are a wiki and have so many pages, it is hard for just the few people that work on them to keep up. Help is always appreciated. Git is a much easier way to upgrade once you are up and running. Ken is our resident Git expert and has got me to the point that I can just reference his emails when I get ready to upgrade again(!!) - thanks Ken, BTW.
I have always thought that one simple fix would be to have a custom folder like wordpress where all plugins install too - they we would not have to search through multiple folders to find all those plugins.
A couple of things I noticed - 1. Your moodledata folder should not be in your webroot - Moodle will get to the point of making you move that. 2. It does not matter what the folder is called that moodle is installed in - just change the name to your actual folder when following the docs. 3. Once you get git running, it is just a matter of a few commands to get upgraded and you do not need to mess with your folders etc... 4. Plugins are separate from the moodle code - they can be updated automatically from the plugin page. But you do need to copy all the plugins' folders over to the new moodle code if you are not using git.