[ERROR] in Automated backup status

[ERROR] in Automated backup status

by Stanislav Shap -
Number of replies: 1
Hello all,

So this problem started a while ago back on Moodle version 3.6.2. The problem went like this, we created a new Moodle installation on our website, lets say www.website.com/version1. Then we created multiple courses and enabled automatic backups. Everything would work fine for the first month or so when the students were using the website. After while we would start to get an error for the automated backups that would state some of the courses as "unfinished" but the manual backups still worked. I tried resetting the automated backups but there was nothing I could do to get them working again. After another couple of weeks the manual backups actually stopped working too. The progress bar on the final step would reach a certain percentage (random) and just stop there every time. The only thing we could do was wait until the semester was over and just hope that we would not need backups so that's what we did. We assumed this was just a problem with Moodle version 3.6.2 because we saw no other possible explanation and so we thought to reinstall Moodle after the semester.

For some reason just updating Moodle would not get rid of the problem so we had to reinstall Moodle on a different section of the website, this time 3.7 on www.website.com/version2. At first the problem did not arise, but after 4 weeks or so it came back in the same exact way. At first just the automated backups did not work but then the manual backups did not work either. I checked in the moodledata/temp/backup folder and there was a ton of what seemed to be uncompleted backups with names like "048a742932ddecaa06c76035e2fd9d41" but I did not know what to make of it. I also tried changing my host setting like max_execution_time or memory_limit but both also did not help. Since practically no one else has had this problem, and it occurred across multiple versions of Moodle, i don't think it is a bug but maybe a problem with my hosting platform? 
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stanislav Shap

Re: [ERROR] in Automated backup status

by Alain Raap -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Stan, I'm not familiar with Moodle v3.6.2 or v3.7, what you can try is to manually start a backup or the automated backup php script in your moodle admin/cli folder like
/usr/bin/php admin/cli/automated_backups.php
This gives you some more information what happens when the script is running. We also have had problems with this process, but that was due to our environment (Redhat Linux) and because of performance issues. Our automated backup is running on our database server now and that works well. You can find in this forum how I configured this on Redhat.