Big blue button for 100 users

Big blue button for 100 users

by Zeid Fanous -
Number of replies: 12

Hi all,

I’ve been using bug blue button for a while now and a new project requires a webinar for around 100 users.

I’ve never done this before so is it possible to do this with big blue button - what kind of server specs and speed connections is recommended OR should we use a different tool ?? Your feedback is highly appreciated.

We are using noodle 3.6 smile thanks 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zeid Fanous

Re: Big blue button for 100 users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This really isn't a Moodle question - I would have thought you should be asking this over at BBB.

Having said that - good luck. I never got BBB to work with more than about 20 users, even then not terribly reliably. 
In reply to Zeid Fanous

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How many simultaneous users do you regularly have on your current system? My advice is to get the people who make it do your hosting
https://bigbluebutton.org/
It is hard to scale that sort of application and it is what they do for a living.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
+1

This stuff is witchcraft. Don't try and run it yourself. That way lines pain.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"That way lines pain"
He speaks the truth
In reply to Marcus Green

by Zeid Fanous -

Thank you so much for your prompt replies.  You guys scared me now hahaha. I contacted big blue button for their advice.

Do you recommended using other tools even if more expensive ?? 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Learn Moodle MOOC https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=388630 conducts its sessions on Big blue button. They should know.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Zeid Fanous -
Thanks Behan and Visvanath,

Alright what i did was use zoom pro and webinar subscription while i setup the BBB on a separate server. I think this will work out nicely ... anyone had experience with Zoom?
In reply to Zeid Fanous

by Howard Miller -
Yep - big Zoom user. I recommend it. Works fine and - even better - we get almost no support calls about it (my test of a good product)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Small Zoom user. ;) I use Zoom for workgroup/personal meetings, to avoid the big player Skype (Microsoft) scraping our data. Even managed to convince a few others who insisted on other video conferencing tools.

This reminded me to integrate the the tool in to Moodle. BBB is perhaps the pioneer. I saw that there is a plug-in for Zoom too. Ease of use will be the no. 1 criteria. Still good to know how scalable theses things are.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As Visvanath says, we use BBB for live sessions in our twice-yearly Learn Moodle Basics MOOC. We use a service hosted by BigBlueButton and found it working fine with the number of users approaching 100. BBB integrates nicely with Moodle, with upcoming sessions listed in users' timelines.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Brian Schmidt -
We also use them (Blindside Networks) to host our BBB server. We have hosted multiple sessions with 100+ users (no webcams) with zero issues.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)