Remove Category & course browsing for students

Remove Category & course browsing for students

by T K -
Number of replies: 13

I am using Moodle 3.4.

I have some self enrolment courses that I would like the students to view and enrol, however I want to remove the top Course Categories drop menu & and search courses button. This applies only to STUDENTS' view. Is there any css I can use?

view

Average of ratings: -
In reply to T K

Re: Remove Category & course browsing for students

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Either/both can be hidden using CSS, but it will be hidden for everyone not just students. CSS targets the selector of the item, not the role of the user. Is that ok?
In reply to Jon Bolton

by T K -

Can u share the CSS for doing this?

In reply to T K

by Jon Bolton -

if you're using the Boost theme, go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Boost and then click on Advanced Settings and enter the following into the "Raw SCSS" box...

#page-course-index-category form#coursesearch {display: none;}
#page-course-index-category .categorypicker {display: none;}
In reply to Jon Bolton

by E Martin -
Thank you Jon, I had the same need as Karishma - in your experience have you seen CSS modifications such as these fail when a theme is updated? If so, is it often? (I assume themes get updated with major Moodle versions....?)
In reply to E Martin

by Jon Bolton -
It depends where you add the css. If you have a custom css section in your theme settings, any additions will (should!) be honoured in an upgrade.

The other thing to think about is the possibility of css failing if a selector that you’re targeting changes after an upgrade. Unusual, but nit unheard of. Obviously, you’d be taking a backup before any upgrade though 😉
In reply to Jon Bolton

by E Martin -
I know this is a super late response, Jon, but I'm revisiting this issue. Do you know who understands the boost theme well? I notice you target #page-course-index-category in addition to .categorypicker

Does this make it specific to this page, while .categorypicker is general throughout the theme in other contexts?

The institution I'm at doesn't have a test server so I'm sweating bullets about attempting the display:none without knowing it's specific to just that type of page. Ex: for form#coursesearch, what if this also applied to other contexts, for example where a site manager is searching for courses in the context of importing?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way of ensuring the CSS injection is effectively page specific?

Here's the page I'm fretting over: https://moodle.sd57.bc.ca/course/index.php?categoryid=3 (it's a category view)
In reply to E Martin

by Jon Bolton -
Yes, the form#coursesearch is also applied to other contexts - definitely in the Site Admin > Courses > Manage courses and categories pages.

The inclusion of #page-course-index-category forces the rules to ONLY apply to #coursesearch on those pages - but it will affect the course search on ALL browse category pages.

Note the categoryid=3 at the end of the URL you supplied. This CSS will target only that category:

#page-course-index-category .category-3 form#coursesearch {display: none;}
#page-course-index-category .category-3 .categorypicker {display: none;}
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jon Bolton -
ps - the above WILL work, but if you want to "test" things beforehand, remember that custom css is as easy to remove as it is to add, so you're not making a permanent change.

You could also just highlight what is being targeted by the css before changing the display: none using this...

#page-course-index-category .category-3 form#coursesearch {background: yellow;}
#page-course-index-category .category-3 .categorypicker {background: yellow;}
and when you're happy, change the background: yellow; to display: none;
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jon Bolton -
pps - you've said you only went to target the CIDES category (categoryid=3) - but that page also has sub-categories... so you might want to also target categories 57, 66, 54, 59, 55, 58, 52, 56 - just a thought 🙂
In reply to Jon Bolton

by E Martin -
Jon, I'm not sure what to say other than thank you: you're giving me the tools I need to improve our school district's interface and you're doing it free, from another hemisphere. If we were coworkers I'd be thinking about how I could take you out for a lunch right now.

Brilliant low-risk recommendation regarding the background.
In reply to E Martin

by E Martin -
Weird. The following works:
#page-course-index-category .categorypicker {display: none;}

But making it category specific does not:
#page-course-index-category .category-3 .categorypicker {display: none;}

Update: following the guidance of https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5196583/target-elements-with-multiple-classes-within-one-rule/5196611 if I want dual-conditions to be true (element must have ID page-course-index-category AND class categorypicker) the following CSS appears to work. Amazing how a difference of one space character works. smile

#page-course-index-category.category-3 .categorypicker {display: none;}

Update 2: when I launch a subcategory, the boost theme seems to attach a hierarchy into the CSS class structure. Notice that when category 3 contains category 54, the following CSS exists in category 54... this means if I target the parent, the children are automatically affected.

id="page-course-index-category" class="format-site path-course path-course-index chrome dir-ltr lang-en yui-skin-sam yui3-skin-sam moodle-sd57-bc-ca pagelayout-coursecategory course-1 context-73199 category-54 category-3 drawer-open-left jsenabled"
In reply to E Martin

by Jon Bolton -

Oops, the space IS important - sorry, missed that in my haste to answer.

Great that it’s targeting the sub cats too! 👍

I’ll accept a useful rating instead of lunch... 😉

In reply to Jon Bolton

by E Martin -
I've never done this before - if I do it once in a thread is that sufficient? Or do I do this on an individual response by response level? lol now I'm asking a forum remember to show me how to rate them as useful. Anyways absolutely - I tried my best, let me know if that is what you meant.