This week we have been updating our district's Moodle server from an earlier 3.2 to version all the way to Moodle 3.7. The update went smoothly (knock, knock) and we are now updating our theme. We have been using the Enlightened theme for most of this decade, but it will no longer function in 3.7. After perusing the themes we went with the Fordson theme (Moodle 3.7 Fordson v3.7 release 1) and I have some questions.
First off, to Chris, I LOVE this theme. It is so clean, the documentation you made has been very helpful, and the preset allow for a base design change so quickly and easily. Love what you had done here, and thank you for your work on it. Here is our beautiful homepage, thanks to this theme:
Most of my issues are minor and centered around design, but some are integral to how we want our staff and students to access Moodle. So here is a laundry list (in no particular order) of my questions:
- We went with the Perception preset, but I did some color changes to match our district branding guidelines. While I'm pretty happy with the overall look, the teal highlight color is killing me:
This is a small example, but this color is used in multiple other places. I perused some other questions along this line and have been trying to fix it myself. I have tried to change this using the Raw initial SCSS input at the beginning, but to no avail. Perhaps my input is incorrect. I have been using the preset scss file on github as a guide but am unable to get the change I want. Can anyone offer some guidance?
- We are using the marketing tiles, which look great, but it seems odd to me that you can't click on the image or title to go to the link, only the space below the image. Is that working as intended? We originally had it so there was no words underneath, just the image, but then realized you had to click that nothing spot to go to the link. The problem is that when you add too many words they become cut off or pushed together when the front page is smaller. Any advice on this? Ideally I'd love to just click the picture to go to the link.
- Under "My Courses" in the Nav-drawer, it seems to list the courses in no particular order. Under the Fordson options in Preset Adjustments, I do have "My Courses Sort Order by Last Access" checked, which says it will override the sort my courses setting in navigation, but it seems to only be doing it from the Menu bar "my courses" section and not the one found in the the nav-drawer hamburger menu. As you can see in my picture, the two lists don't match. Any thoughts here?
- Speaking of the my courses list, I really don't want to have both the nav drawer and that top list there. It seems redundant. However, I DO want the "This Course" menu to appear when people are in a course. I currently have the option for "Display This Course menu" checked in the Fordson menu settings, however, that "This Course" menu refuses to appear for me unless I also have the "Display enrolled courses" box check as well, and like I said I don't necessarily want both. Is this by design or is this an error? Thoughts? Pictures for reference:
This Course Menu Option
With only "display this course menu" checked
With both options checked
- I love the icon navigation option. This looks so much more sleek than the buttons we had in a label on the front page. That being said, I am running into an issue where we want parents and other guests to see those icon navigation buttons without having logged into Moodle as an authenticated user. Is there any way to change the permissions for the icon navigation buttons so that they are always seen rather than only being seen by authenticated users?
I think that's it! Sorry for this book of a post, but I thought I'd put it all in one place. Feel free to weigh in on any or all of the issues above, or none of them for that matter! Thanks in advance for anyone's help!