restoring user work after deletion

restoring user work after deletion

by Alex Fiscus -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I'm using Moodle 3.5.3 and we are needing to backup our classes offline in order to keep server space down. Our school's policy is that we keep student's work for 2 years and then can discard. Am I able to still retrieve all user information if I backup a class, download it, delete from Moodle, and then restore it if the user has been completed deleted from Moodle? 

Right now I am able to see past grades, posts made in forums, and quiz attempts. However, I am unable to view an written assignments. While I can see the grade from the grade history section, I need to see the physical paper. We are using the Turnitin plagiarism plugin, but I don't see why that would prevent me from seeing a paper that was uploaded to the assignment activity. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. Please let me know if any other information is needed. 

Alex 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Fiscus

Re: restoring user work after deletion

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

You ask two questions:
1. The archiving policy of student (examinations) work
This is not as simple as in the paper era. Try to express the school policy in more detail. For example, what does "keep student's work for 2 years and then can discard" mean? Do you start counting once the student leaves the organization? Is his account blocked thereafter? I mean there is no point in archiving something, if it keeps on changing.

2. Past assignments are not available
This is in the live server? Something is wrong then. The uploaded documents are normally there unless you do something drastic, like purging the user, resetting the course, etc. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Turntin side.