Correct Errors before proceeding with Moodle 3.7 installation

Correct Errors before proceeding with Moodle 3.7 installation

by Larry Richmond -
Number of replies: 15

Help! After using Softaculous to update Moodle from 3.64 to 3.7 on a Linux operating system, the below report indicates that errors need to be corrected before proceeding with the installation.  I have modified the PHP.INI file (attached) per instruction links but have not been able to have success. I am pretty new at this so kinda expect something pretty dumb but will be glad to receive it! My server information is also included below. PHP was upgraded to 7.2 although the server information below says 5.6.40? The modifications that were done to the PHP.INI were (per Jon Bolton's post for another situation on April 1, 2019):

Ok, edit your php.ini file and add:

extension=php_fileinfo.dll
extension=php_intl.dll
extension=php_soap.dll
intl.default_locale = en_utf8

And increase the max_execution_time - I think it’s set to 30 by default.

max_execution_time = 300

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Richmond

Re: Correct Errors before proceeding with Moodle 3.7 installation

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Howard ... here we go again! :|

"'After using Softaculous to update Moodle from 3.64 to 3.7 ..."

@Larry ...

First and foremost, your operating system is linux.

The info you found on adding extensions to php was for windows.  Linux doesn't use .dll's (dynamic link libraries) files.  Windows does.

At the top of the PHP.ini file you've shared says:

; cPanel-generated php ini directives, do not edit
; Manual editing of this file may result in unexpected behavior.

; To make changes to this file, use the cPanel MultiPHP INI Editor (Home >> Software >> MultiPHP INI Editor)
; For more information, read our documentation (https://go.cpanel.net/EA4ModifyINI)

Since I don't use cPanel, can't give specific directions for cPanel's MultiPHP INI editor but assume it should be 'clickable easy'. (Hmmmmm)

Since you are on shared host don't think you can 'install' php exentions but merely choose them to be active.

Moodle requires php-intl, php-fileinfo, php-xmlrpc, php-soap and a Zend extentions opcache to be installed/enabled.  If you can't do that on shared host, then help desk @Jumphost *might* be able to.   Normally on shared hosting if something not installed, hosting provider does not make exceptions for single customers software as what they do with shared servers would affect all customers on that shared system.

The full unicode support (at the bottom of your last screen shot) has to do with character set and collation of the DB for moodle.   There are command line scripts in moodlecode/admin/cli/ that would fix
but am gonna assume you may not have ssh into server or desire not to use CLI.   Helpdesk folks might prefer, however.

If you, that means then using something else like phpMyAdmin and learning how to use it for settings.

If you look at your config.php file in moodle code, there  probably is a line that has:

'dbcollation' =>

What does yours say?

To get full MySQL support for character set/collation advise that DB be converted to:

utf8mb4 character set and

collation to match ... utf8mb4_general_ci

IP address 216.222.193.110 shows you are hosted with JUMPLINE-COM

https://www.jumpline.com/

"Reliable Support
Our 24/7 customer support ensures that you never suffer from long downtimes or unresolved issues. We offer a long history of reliable service dating back to 1997."

Since Softac script was provided by Jumpline, is it time to test their claim of 'Reliable Support' above?   Me thinks, yes. 

Not passing the buck back here ... don't believe community forum which consist of volunteers ... ie, no one paid to respond ... should do providers work for them.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Before I read your reply my first thought was... "Ken, here we go again" big grin big grin

It's been a week for it....

To the OP... you may now have realised that we constantly get problems along the lines of "I used Softaculous and now nothing works". I leave you to make the obvious conclusion wink

by Ken Task -

Wait a minute ... this you need to report to your HelpDesk ...

Your 3.6.4 required php intl to run.

So the questions for helpdesk are ... how was the 3.6.x moodle running without it?

What did Softac do when it installed 3.6.x to bypass that environment check?

What else did Softac do that could be lurking for customer and customer has not discovered yet?

Again ... contact your providers helpdesk and inquire!

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
Appreciate you taking the time to dialog about my issue. I feel exactly like getting lost on a road trip and having to stop at a gas station to ask for directions. Humbling to find out I'm not even heading anywhere close to the right direction!

So I understand now that the changes made were for a Windows operating system instead of Linux. I did use the MultiPHP in doing so but received an error shown here.

I upgraded to Moodle 3.6.4 on June 3, 2019. There were no RED errors so it went smoothly.

by Larry Richmond -
ChristianWebHost.com has helped with past upgrades of Moodle but always tell me that I should contact the Administrator to work with the Softaculous server checks.

I could only find config.php in two areas neither of which had 'dbcollation'=>
The Softaculous apps installer had just sent out an email July 6, 2019 that there was an update to Moodle. Maybe that is why you are getting attention lately. Sounds like there are problems updating this way? Is there a better way?

by Ken Task -

All I can say is that 'red box' clearly says 'Error' and tells you your account 'heavenly' doesn't 'own' the hidden .user.ini file.   Don't own ... cannot edit.

In their shared system, provider might be taking the approach of protecting the customer from themselves ... which is a good thing for rookies, but maybe a bad thing for what you want to do.

Kinda like buying a car with the hood welded shut ... can check oii/change oil nor water nor any belts, or spark plugins or engine parts.   Would you by a car like that?  Don't think so!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
Is PHPmyAdmin the correct tool to use to edit the INI files in Linux? I would like to learn how to make corrections but perhaps it is too much of a learning curve?

by Ken Task -

Well, we all began as 'rookies' ... so don't feel bad.

Moodle does require some IT knowledge ... such as you are discovering ... the hard way ... but one doesn't know what one doesn't know!

PHPMyAdmin works with the databases to which your account has access.  It probably cannot do any 'global' settings for the DB server as it's probably a shared DB server.   You have access only to your DB's.   The DB user as shown to you in config.php may not have enough DB server privileges to make global changes.

For working with PHP, your provider has cPanel's MultiPHP INI ... or so is shows in the php.ini file you shared ... but here again ... read what it says ...

; cPanel-generated php ini directives, do not edit
; Manual editing of this file may result in unexpected behavior.

; To make changes to this file, use the cPanel MultiPHP INI Editor (Home >> Software >> MultiPHP INI Editor)
; For more information, read our documentation (https://go.cpanel.net/EA4ModifyINI)

They are telling you *not* to edit manually but to use MultiPHP INI editor.

Strongly suggest contacting your help desk and asking for assistance.

Even if, I volunteered to do a look see, you'd have to share your logins/passwords/URL's to your stuff ... your provider would frown upon that ... besides that, they may not like what I'd have to say! smile  Also gives them a ready made 'out' ... ie, 'not our fault - but the person you allowed into your account'.   Been there ... seen that ... I changed nothing ... just reporting to customer findings that was enough for that provider to 'excuse themselves' from responsibility.

'SoS', Ken

by Ken Task -

"would like to learn how to make corrections" .... yes, if continuing to use Moodle, you'll need to know ... but ... if none that could help knows what 'SoftAcciedent' (nope, spelled it right) did/didn't do, etc, then you are on your own!

And ... what you would be doing is 'reverse engineering' ... which is much harder to do than 'building'.  Your 'failure quotient' would have to be high and you'll need a lot of time.

So, for now, maybe there is anoher route for you ... depending if you can make backups of courses.

1. Make backups of courses.

2. download the backups ... note backup file size cause that bit of info might come into play on the rest of this ...

3. wipe out the moodle ... which is removal of DB, moodle code, and moodledata directory.

4. Decision point ... use 'SoftAcciedent' again to install highest version.  (Ugh!)  Once up, restore backups.

Next time you feel the need to upgrade ... same process.

OR

4. Learn how to manually install moodle from directions found here in Moodle.org

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Installing_Moodle

Note the version of Moodle there is 3.7.

Research for your hosting environment ... which you have already to some extent ...

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Installing_Moodle#Requirements

If ... IF ... you find something your hosting provider cannot provide inquire with hosting provider.

Hint: shared hosting will struggle ... a VPS - dedicated hosting for just you [if you can afford] is better ... ie, you can 'open the hood'!  

There's a downside to that ... you will be learning IT ... command line will be involved.  It's not 'rocket science', but still a 'challenge' to your 'failure quotient' ... if you can't stand to fail and try again, then don't go there ... get managed VPS where the techies where you host do the 'heavy lifting'.   Be prepared to pay for it though - managed hosting won't be free!

But consider this ... if what you offer via Moodle is worth it ... clients will pay ... use what you collect from clients ... apply towards server administration.

Ok, am stepping off my 'soap box' now! smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
You are a good teacher Ken! I appreciate your input very much! I contacted the help desk at ChristianWebHost.com and they responded in a couple hours saying the following:

Hello Larry,

Thank you for contacting us.

During our investigation, I found that you are currently using PHP version 7.2 installed and based on the screenshot you provided, the respective PHP modules were not installed in it. I have now enabled the same for the PHP version 7.2 in the server, However, regarding the MariaDB character set 'utf8'. Since your domain is hosted on a shared server, tweaking the settings will affect all the other domains hosted on this. Hence, it will not be possible to tweak the MariaDB settings. Thank you for understanding this in advance.

Please try again from your end and see how it goes. If there are any further issues, feel free to let us know.

Thank you,
Nevin
ChristianWebHost
In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
What they did allowed the installation to complete and there were no errors except the utf8. I have 6 Articulate SCORM packages on Moodle. Planning to get approval (in next couple of months) through our DSHS here in Washington for those and a few more to provide Continuing Education classes to the caregiving community. I just tested one course and seems to run fine.

by Ken Task -

Well. good for your helpdesk folks!

So this is good news, right?   Shall we consider this 'case closed'? (for now)

Also sounds like you'll be expanding course offerings to a broad audience.  Something to check if your server has some cPanel/other tool ... usage.   Any moodle can grind to a halt if it doesn't have enough 'umph' (memory/bandwidth/etc) to handle the number of users accessing and using.

One last thing I would highly recommend to you ... backup your courses frequently ... download those backups ... then remove them from the moodle.

Have never regretted taking the time to backup! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
The PHP.ini file was not changed at all (I renamed the backup before contacting the help desk). Perhaps now I could us the MultiPHP INI Editor to make changes but strange that all works fine seemingly after they installed the PHP modules. mixed

by Ken Task -

Actually, not strange at all ... ini files are initialization files ... just like on your Windows machine.

So a little lesson on how that works .... on CentOS 7 using PHP 7.1 ...  a standalone server .. not shared ...

Loaded Configuration File => /etc/php.ini

Also a line that tells php where to look for additional ini files:

Scan this dir for additional .ini files => /etc/php.d

In that directory, a bunch of ini files like:

/etc/php.d/intl.ini

which loads the intl module .so file:

; Enable intl extension module
extension=intl.so

which is found in:

/usr/lib64/php/modules/intl.so

See what 'fun' you are missing out on? ;)

So you are good until 3.8 of Moodle is released and at which time you might have to revisit some of this.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Roadmap

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Richmond -
BTW, I did make a copy of the PHP.ini file before working on it.