Category Administrator

Category Administrator

by Delbert Warkentin -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

I am running a moodle for a institution that has several campus. Each campus is a category so I would like to have an Admin for each campus/category. Manager access is not enough because it doesn´t allow them to create and upload users. Is it possible to have a role for admin access at category level? If so how? And I don´t want one admin from one category to see the courses from the other category.

I´ve searched the forums but haven´t really found a solution. Or maybe I don´t understand the solution. Here are two that asked the same question: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=106274 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=115438

Thanks in advance!

Version: Moodle 3.6.4 (Build: 20190513)

Delbert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Delbert Warkentin

Re: Category Administrator

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What you are effectively looking for is multi-tenancy... Moodle doesn't do that. In general everybody can "see" all the courses on the site - although they can only access ones they have permission for.

Your basic solution is to give Manager access at the Category level. If you also need them to manage user accounts then you need to create a new role with only those capabilities and assign them to that role at the Site/System level. Accounts are a site-wide thing - they can't exist restricted to categories.

If you are determined to have full separation, have a look at www.iomad.org which is Moodle with multi-tenancy features bolted on. All of that comes with more complication which I would ask yourself if you really do need.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Delbert Warkentin -
Ok that makes sense!
I´m not sure if many people have requested something like this but it might be helpful to have a role already created with those capabilities that a admin category might use. Just as a suggestion sonrisa Thanks for the help!
In reply to Delbert Warkentin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The general feeling, I believe, is not to proliferate roles. Given a bit of thought you can quickly come up with loads of them - all adding to the potential confusion.