Hosting on Alibaba Cloud

Hosting on Alibaba Cloud

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 4

Yes, I am behind the bamboo curtain.  I have checked with a number of other hosting services and they all honestly suggested that I try Alibaba (in Hong Kong) to have the best speed "possible".  I thought that was very nice and honest of them.  On the other hand, maybe they are trying to save themselves for a huge headache from complaints?  tongueout  I searched and only found two mentions of Alibaba, content not immediately relevant to me.  Customer service is not very responsive - if I had other choices, I would not be posting here now but would be looking at other hosting options.  Does anyone know if I would have to install all of these goodies myself from scratch: PHP 7.1, MariaDB 5.5.31 or MySQL 5.6 or Postgres 9.4 or MSSQL 2008 or Oracle 11.2?  I have been spoiled with Bluehost, which I have used for years, and these things install with a click of an icon if they are not already installed.  I have installed Moodle "from scratch".  I guess I could do the rest of them, but it is a bit intimidating at first.  Bluehost is just too slow when accessed from here.

A little terrified.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Hosting on Alibaba Cloud

by Tom Connolly -
Wow! I got an answer in less than an hour. I am either doing something right, or they are having a slow business day. I would have to install of these goodies from scratch. Is there a preferred version of Linux for Moodle? I am going to start out by developing some reading tutorials, online books and related games. I also want to have audio books available. Can Moodle be set up to download these files and play on the local phone/notebook/pc? or do they have to be streamed from the server?  I will probably have 40 students accessing the site with maybe no more than 15 at the same time.  Will 1 cpu with 4gb be adequate?
In reply to Tom Connolly

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I prefer debian but a lot of people use ubuntu or centos - really it is your preference. I would suggest 2 cpu's and 4-8 gb ram if you are having students download files. If you are try to serve through Moodle, then up the specs. To keep it simple, I have found that Google drive does a nice video/audio stream - you might try hosting them there.
In reply to Tom Connolly

by James Steerpike -
I find other connections are as fast as Hong Kong and much cheaper, even though I work out of Guangzhou. Google drive is out but I use a DigitalOcean server in Singapore. They sell a droplet for $5 a month with 1 cpu and I gig of RAM and I have found it fine with a heavier workload than yours.
Some advantages:
Easy upgrade - if your server is underpowered double it for another $5 a month
Blocked IP - China blocks ranges of IP addresses because they censor sites, Easy to move your site to a new IP address if the GFW blocks your inoffensive site.
One click install of an up to date Ubuntu LAMP stack makes installing a little easier.
And the price...
In reply to James Steerpike

by James Steerpike -

For file storage for video in China I would suggest BaiduCloud. It has both public and private links and will be familiar to Chinese students. Free, unblocked and fast to download with a 2Tb space.