Too many opened sessions on Moodle 2.7.20

Too many opened sessions on Moodle 2.7.20

by Cristian Santibañez -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All, I have a problem with a Moodle 2.7.20, we have 8 app server with ngix and we have problem with sessions. We tried with 2 config, sessions on files with NFS Server and sessions on memcached. The behavior is different, with sessions on files, the behavior is well, but, when we have many users connected, the php processes waits time to open the sessions files and the server begin to collapsed, with memcached the behavior is different, the server works well with high demand, but, randomly users lose the session and they should login into the moodle again and this happen many time.

We check all sessions parameters, we check all configurations on memcached, the problem begun one specific day and we don't know the root cause yet. 

In particular I suspect a bug was activated with the sessions manager, but my Moodle consultants doesn't have argument to refute or sustain my theory. 

Please, your help will be very appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cristian Santibañez

Re: Too many opened sessions on Moodle 2.7.20

by Jeff White -
Can you show your config set up for memcached? My first guess is your memcached is running out of memory so its dropping old entries but we would need to see you memory limits in your memcached config for this. I havent messed with memcached in years but I thought memcached did produce log entries when it starts to run low on memory allocation. 

Your moodle instance and memcached are kinda old the community is probably more familiar with helping with Redis. 
In reply to Cristian Santibañez

Re: Too many opened sessions on Moodle 2.7.20

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Things to check:

• all servers have the correct time, and are synchronised using NTP. This includes backend servers running cron, and the memcached server
  • nothing else is using the cache and causing it to be cleared

You are using a very old version of Moodle - Moodle 2.7.20 was released on 8th May 2017 and support for it ended on that date. Moodle 2.7.0 was released in 2014 and is over five years old. You are no longer receiving any security updates.

Andrew