Rules of conduct

Rules of conduct

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think there should be clear rules of conduct for this forum. Moderators could take inspiration from the following pages to develop a reminder of the rules of conduct, for example as a permanent first thread:

Moderators must ensure that the rules are followed by all users, including themselves. smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Rules of conduct

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Maybe so, but think about what you might be suggesting.

Anyone can begin a new discussion topic, and your suggestion makes me wonder how many new discussion topics are created each day.  To put these rules in place, as you suggest would mean that Moodle would have to know when a new topic is created, and automatically create this first post.  Then, this first post would probably be sent out to everyone.  Hmmm, I don't know, it seems a little excessive to me.

When I look at the breadcrumb to your post, I can see that this is in the "Quiz" forum.  Some forums, for example "Moodle in English » Forums » General help" does provide these rules at the very top.  Did I just happen to pick a forum that does, or is this the only forum that contains these rules?  I don't know, but maybe your suggestion of a "rules" post should be at the top of every Forum in Moodle.org.  (Click on Quiz in the breadcrumb.) 

Let's see what others say.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Dominique,

As Rick mentions, the General help forum has a pinned post Before you post... read this....

Moderators are welcome to create a pinned post in their forum, or add further information to the forum description, or neither, depending on whether they think such texts would be useful.

I think that there will always be people who simply post and don't read pinned posts etc. and the longer the text, the less it will be read in full. wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I did think a little more about Dominique's suggestion.  I got to wondering, if I wanted to implement this idea, where would I make a link?  I thought about two places, and ideas.  The first place might be adding a block on the right side area that simply says "Rules of Posting," which would be a hyperlink.  The second idea would be to add another button to the right of the current "Post to forum" that would be "Rules of Posting."  The problem with either approach is that they tend to add clutter, with things that might detract one's attention.  So I don't support either technique.  I am just providing some ideas for those who might want to modifiy their own moodle.