SCORM grade not recorded

SCORM grade not recorded

by Najla ZH -
Number of replies: 48

Dear Moodle Community,

I hope you guys can help me with my issue, 

some users of my LMS complaint about their grades not being recorded.

I have checked their accounts and they certainly have completed the courses and the courses shows 100% progress:

and when I login using their accounts I see that they have solved the whole quiz, and they earned the grade ( passed , with a value).

so I checked the log of the student who complaint about this issue and I found that she have opened the SCORM activity (Sco launced) and then submitted SCORM raw score then Submitted SCORM status,  and I noticed the absence of the user graded event.

then I looked into other student's log who have his grade recorded without any problem. it has in addition to the previous case, it has user graded and Course activity completion updated.

I've tried to solve this issue by tweaking the course's grading settings, but still no grades recorded.

----------

The SCORM packages properties:

• designed with articulate storyline 360.
  • SCORM 1.2
  • has many multiple questions embedded within the same SCORM package.

I tried to identify some patterns for the error, and these are what I got:

• the issue is recurrent for same user.
  • the issue is not related to a certain courses. sometimes it occurs and sometimes doesn't.
  • user graded and Course activity completion updated events are not triggered for those who got the problem.

Much of appreciation,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Najla ZH

Re: SCORM grade not recorded

by Renee Reyes-Garcia -

Hello,

We are experiencing the same issues with our Moodle SCORM packages. However, we are using Captivate 8 and 17. We did find out, by asking our affected users, that the issue seems to only happen with ios (iphone, ipad, some mac laptops) devices. We have the users email us if they have issues and we have to manually adjust their grade. since a lot of people use ios devices this ends up being a lot of work. I have not found any information on why this is happening or how to possibly fix it.  

Any insights will help.

In reply to Renee Reyes-Garcia

by Wilmari van der Merwe -

We have the same problem on our side with a single student out of 140. He was able to complete 50% of the course, which includes 6 SCORM activities and 5 H5p activities. We have also set up our course structure so that students need to view and receive a grade for the SCORM activity before they are allowed access to the next topic. We have had no issues with the H5P activities.

So from the 6 SCORM activities, 5 were completed successfully, grades were added to the grade center, activity was marked complete and access was granted to the next topic.

After following your thread about iPad, Mac & iPhone, we asked which platform he was working on and it is PC. We then tested the activity in the student account on a different IP address in a different country, and we received the same results. 

We have tested this on different web browsers, tablets and computer platforms.

Does anyone have further suggestions or leads we could follow?

by ali niciejewski -

Has anyone found out why mac users grades are not recording? We have had a high number of users call stating they completed the work but no grade is recorded. Upon investigating the issue, we find that all of them are using a mac laptop of some sort of apple product. 

by João Rosa -

Hello,

We are facing the exact same problem but apparently only for iOS devices, so iPads and iPhones. From as far as I've tested using Browserstack, this has been happening since iOS Safari 10, and it's now already on 13... so this is not exactly new. Though most of the complaints I've found on this particular issue on other LMLs, some of them Moodle-based, seem to have started around February or March 2020, so I don't know why this discrepancy... 

Regardless, from previous Googling it seems like more and more people have been suffering from this but there is yet no fix on Moodle's side, but I did read somewhere that the Rustici engine (i.e. what powers the SCORM player on Moodle) already has an update for this and I can confirm it, since I tested our SCORM files over at SCORM Cloud and indeed the progress is properly recorded when leaving the SCORM player there. 

Someone somewhere suggested turning on the auto-commit setting, but this didn't work for us... I don't know if it just doesn't work or if something needs to be done/enabled on our SCORM files. Oh, speaking of which, our SCORM courses were built on both Captivate 8 and 2019 and for both the progress is never saved, so it's really not a SCORM issue, it should really be on the SCORM player itself somewhere...

From debugging on the browser side, I've seen that, when exiting the SCORM player on Moodle, any other browser sends 3 requests to /mod/scorm/datamodel.php with data relative to the user's progress during that session, but this does NOT happen when on Safari for iOS. 

Screenshot of Chrome's dev tools showing requests to /mod/scorm/datamodel.php

These requests are simply not made on iOS, which would explain why the user's progress is not saved.

Something I've noticed that also only seems to happen on iOS is a bunch of requests to the same file but which apparently doesn't exist. Since I've only seen this happening on iOS, I'm assuming Safari is somehow incorrectly building the path of the file it's trying to get and ends up asking for a file that doesn't actually exist. I don't know if this is somehow related to the saving issue or not...

Errors on the Chrome dev tools' console

I thought this would be something that was already solved in more recent versions of Moodle, but I checked the git logs over at https://github.com/moodle/moodle, both on the master branch and on the Moodle 3.8 branch, and found nothing regarding this 🙁. I even thought maybe I missed something, so I made a clean basic installation of Moodle 3.8 and uploaded one of our SCORM courses, but alas, the exact same result. To me this clearly means that is something that has not yet been addressed and I have sadly not yet seen it reported anywhere moodle-specific. At least not in these terms. 

I just made a quick search through the Moodle issue tracker and the results were disappointing... The closest I found was https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66545 and it was tagged as minor priority issue back in August/September 2019. 

Does anyone know of a way to get the devs' attention to this issue? Or any other helpful resource to go to? If this doesn't get addressed I'll be forced to put up a notice saying that our courses are simply not available on iOS. Or at least that users can try them but that their progress will not be saved not will they be able to complete them...

In reply to João Rosa

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi João,
I'm considered the "lead dev" for SCORM - the number of developers who volunteer their time to work for free on SCORM is pretty limited and these sorts of issues can be quite time consuming to diagnose and solve. What makes this particular issue even more challenging is that it reuqires an iOS device which even further restricts the number of devs that will be able to reproduce this.

Your best bet would be to contract your local Moodle Partner to see if they can help (although not all Partners will have staff with experienced SCORM devs on staff.) Otherwise you might need to wait for someone to come along that is affected by this issue themselves, and has the free time and hardware required to investigate further.

But, if you discover anything else in your research, make sure you post it here as it may help someone else researching this further!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suspect the best organisation to approach about this would be Moodle partner Catalyst.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Haha - thanks for the shout-out Marcus! smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers
Maybe some of our orgs should pool our resources together to pay Catalyst to work on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66545 , since I suspect it would be an authoring-tool wide fix as opposed to just Lectora specific.
We're moving to Lectora 18 and still running into the same issue with iOS devices not saving progress on it also, but we don't have enough users complaining to warrant the investment to pay to get it fixed. Our plan is to turn on auto-commit but haven't had enough time to fully robustly test what happens with that on.

Maybe if we pool together somehow and each one of us contributes a smaller amount we could fund a fix? It seems like it should be possible since the same modules work in SCORM cloud with iOS devices
In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by ali niciejewski -

auto commit has not worked with these iOS users. We are telling them to download Google Chrome and are having intermittent success. 

In reply to ali niciejewski

by Mathew Gancarz -
Ali, from our testing auto-commit works if the person spends more than a minute on the page, which makes sense since it's set to save once every 60 seconds. In your testing, did the user spend more than a minute on the page?

Depending on the modules I can see that not always working for users, but I think that's the only option we have for now.

by Dan Marsden -
Thanks Matthew, It would be much easier if a large org that has this issue worked directly with their Moodle Partner on this - it's hard to estimate how much time would be required so I'd usually try to use our clients "support hours" rather than give a fixed price quote for this sort of thing - we also might need to charge the client to ship new iOS hardware to a developer to help reproduce this, unless we found a dev in our team that has access to an Ios device in their covid19 lock-down bubbles. (Most of us use ubuntu/android devices)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -
Thanks Dan. Our budget has been hard hit by COVID so won't likely be us, but I can hope.

For iOS testing, we've had success with https://www.browserstack.com/ . It's not the fastest and you want to use throw-away accounts since it's a third party service, but it does a good job of giving access to a wide range of test devices/browsers without having to physically buy them.

by Dan Marsden -
Yes - I've seen similar services before too. Typically the performance is too much of a pain or the privacy issues/license requirements tend to violate our internal policies and when monitoring JS communication it's a lot easier when you have a physical device. We do have a few shared Ios devices in the office, but covid19 lock-down makes arranging developer access to that hardware quite difficult so at the moment it would be "easier" to just ship a new device to someone in our team.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -
Right, monitoring JS with browserstack would be a huge pain. Thanks for the insight
In reply to João Rosa

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I would strongly discourage using Captivate 8. 8 behaves better than 4 but earlier versions of Captivate had some rather drastic reporting issues. Most of the time it was fine, but about 5% of the time, it just wouldn't work (I had about 5000 users...and that meant I heard about it a lot. No idea why. 17 and 19 seem to behave better--but you might check your publish settings.  It isn't terribly hard to convert an 8 project to 17 or 19 but you'll have to check how things behave. Somethings changed between.

Make sure the student is viewing the right number of slides and getting the right number of questions right, etc.  If you have screen recordings set to assessment, where they have to click the right spot to continue, make sure, if they are not part of the quiz, that they do not have points associated. It's sneaky about adding those to required score. There are two places that push completion and both have to be set properly.

I'm not saying there isn't something weird with the Moodle mod, just these are things that might improve behavior without core changes. Dan has done some terrific stuff with SCORM. I've been using SCORM a really long time (12 years?)...and package settings, generally, and Captivate more specifically (10 years), can really mess you up. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to João Rosa

by João Rosa -
Hi all,
thank you for your responses so far.

Our main issue at the moment is that iOS users, or rather Apple product users, have started to amount to roughly 50% of our mobile user base. With the world being hit by Covid19, a lot of consumers have resorted to doing trainings from their home, where they usually operate with iPads and Macs and Notebooks.

We're using a rather generic setup to publish SCORM courses on our Moodle platform. We haven't customized anything to a point where we must assume fault from our side, and I believe that it would be reasonable to expect that roughly 50% of the mobile user base get to experience the content and the trainings in the same quality as other users who are browsing with Android or Windows systems.

Since we're being driven by a client, we have to offer a solution. Ultimately, if we cannot foresee any fix in the near future, our ultimate solution must be to discard Moodle and SCORM altogether and switch to something else. We also don't believe that asking our client to pay to fix a product that ultimately isn't even owned by them will be very fruitful...

We're willing to offer support from our side regarding all the findings we've already made, similar to how I opened my posting. And about having iOS devices for testing at our disposal... we're using Browserstack as well to conduct our testing and it's been working well enough. It's how we identified the issue working on more recent version of iOS in the first place.

Please let us know we can expect anyone to support us in our investigation of this issue further in the near future, because we have to make plans based on our findings, and currently it doesn't look like we can solve it.
In reply to João Rosa

by Melanie Scott -

If your focus is mobile responsivity, I would repeat my suggestion that anything built in Captivate 8 be brought into 17 or 19 and updated and turned into a responsive title. I hate building on 'responsive' templates in Captivate but they are the only way to ensure mobile responsiveness.  My experience is that while many non-iOS devices can manage non-responsive design modules, iOS breaks them every time.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by João Rosa -
Hi Melanie,

no, the issue is not really responsiveness, it's really getting the user's progress saved at all.
Cheers!
In reply to João Rosa

by Dan Marsden -
You can't expect that anyone will volunteer to work on this for free in the timeframe that suits you. I see there's some form of commercial arrangement (you mention this is for a client) - I haven't seen your name here in the forums before, so maybe this might be an opportunity for your company to "give something back" to the Moodle community - partly to help your client, but also to help the community? - especially if your company has been able to generate an income based on Moodle - you could start by reaching out to your local Moodle Partner to strike up some form of collaborative arrangement!

If the main drive is for mobile app support, then you should probably be getting the users to use the Moodle mobile app which has it's own "SCORM player", and running scorm on the local device rather than over the web is the more reliable way to run it anyway - I'd expect it would work.

Of course as you've mentioned your other option is to use the Rustici SCORM player which could potentially be cheaper compared with paying for someone to resolve this. But - hopefully someone might dig into this a bit more at some point and solve it! smile
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to João Rosa

by Mike Pettitt -

Hi all,

Has anyone  had any luck in finding fixes for this?

We use Totara which is built on Moodle. We started experiencing issues in March 2020 when COVID hit and we had a big wave of learners accessing the system. The problems were not isolated to any particular combination of devices and browsers, and we addressed it by increasing our server capacity. But shortly after it emerged that Safari users were still experiencing issues. We addressed this by switching all SCORM activities to open in New Window (Simple) rather than Current Window, and this was effective for a short period but now we have problems primarily with Chrome users, and this applies to activities that open in Current Window and New Window (Simple).

I believe that republishing from Captivate to report data on every slide will address the problem, based on some testing, but this will involve a lot of production work for us and could put a lot of strain on the system. I have spoken to our Totara provider but they are us stumped as we are.

We are close to just republishing everything as mentioned above, but I am hesitating in case there is a solution or fix around the corner.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know!

Thank you!

Mike

In reply to Mike Pettitt

by ali niciejewski -

Hi Mike, 

I started hearing this last week as well that chrome was not always recording grades. Its strange, half our users grades record and half won't. I have had some MAC users call back and state that using Firefox works and all their grades record. This is without having to change scorm activities to open in a new window or republish all captivate files. 

I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a mac so I can tinker and try to figure out what we can do to get past this problem. We've gotten to the point that all we do it manually enter grades for end users and with more the 13k users, this is getting to be quite a tedious task. 

by Heather P -

We are having similar issues with SCORM and the item itself not closing the attempt and therefore not triggering completions etc.

You mentioned manually entering grades. I'm looking for away to override the attempt being open and forcing it to close and carry over the score and thus trigger the completion, but can't seem to see how to do that.

I'm reaching the point where I think I'm stuck with it until I can upgrade Moodle to a 3.8 and hope it all goes away with that.

How are you manually entering your grade please?

In reply to Heather P

by Antonio Ortiz -
Hello Everyone;

I have the same problem, I have upgraded to version 3.9 and I am testing Mobile version 3.9.

I have been able to verify that both in chrome and in safari on the desktops the scorms works correctly, also in android both in chrome and with the app.

The problem exists in ios whether you use safari or chrome, however when setting the scorm to show in a new window the progress is saved correctly.

Moodle Mobile app (ver 3.9) continues without saving progress.

I hope this information helps to find a solution
In reply to Antonio Ortiz

by Mike Pettitt -

Thank you for the info Antonio.

We came to the end of the road in finding solutions with our LMS provider and with Adobe Captivate. The only two solutions we found were to a) republish the SCORM packages with "data sent on every slide" checked or b) republish with some kind of save and exit button that the learner must press.

This may not be useful to you if you do not use Captivate, but may be useful to anyone else searching the forums with the same issue!

Mike

In reply to Mike Pettitt

by ali niciejewski -

Hello Friends, 

Here is what I have done in the past few weeks and the results. I made changes to the following js files and added a feature file

The changes can be found at https://bitbucket.org/moodle/moodle/commits/89fb92a5513012023339b1ce8378577129c662cd?at=MOODLE_35_STABLE

or

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/2add402f8183c50bc1238ef2da5ea9cd06cb1dd9

It basically changes how the XHR requests are sent to the server, this new coding will now use sendBeacon if I understand everything correctly

When I implemented these changes, I also set auto-commit to "on" in the scorm settings. If not familiar, auto-commit will commit the grades after 1 minute of viewing the scorm file. 

Results: (we are using Moodle 3.5.3)

Just like Antonio said above, iOS devices (I tested an iPhone and iPad) will not record grades or completion statuses while displayed in "current window". I changed settings in display to open in "new window" and grades/completion status were recorded on iOS 

Apple OS: MacOS Catalina 10.15.5: tested both Safari (v13.1.1) and Chrome (v83.0.4103.97) and both recorded grades/completion status even under the 1 minute requirement of auto-commit

Android phone (os Android 10): chrome v83.0.4103.106 recorded grades/completion status even under the 1 minute requirement of auto-commit

PC: chrome 83.0.4103.116 recorded grades/completion status even under the 1 minute requirement of auto-commit

by Antonio Ortiz -
I have enabled the auto-commit option and in a first test the progress is saved in safari ios, the app (moodle mobile) still does not record the progress.

Thanks for information

by Dan Marsden -

there is also a new patch related to this work that is incoming very soon which improves that even further and should fix the remaining issues people are experiencing. Hopefully that should be coming in the next few weeks - keep an eye on MDL-68896 for updates there.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Antonio Ortiz -

Dan,

I'll wait for the patch, does it also include the solution for the Moodle Mobile app?

Thanks

Antonio

In reply to Mike Pettitt

by Antonio Ortiz -
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the information, we are using captivate 2019, we regenerate a SCORM with the given indication and the problem persists.
I think the solution should be in Moodle side, since if it is activated to see the SCORM in a new window it works perfectly in ios.
I think the code should be checked when the browser agent is in ios and the SCORM is embedded in the current window.

Hopefully someone who knows the code can find where the fault is.

Thanks again

Antonio
In reply to Antonio Ortiz

by Ben Butler -

Hi, I'm replying to this message because it seems to be the most recent, although there are some older posts at the end of the thread. I have recently encountered this issue or one very similar. I am hosting 2 Moodle sites on 2 different VPSs and they are both different versions of Moodle. The Moodle versions are 3.6.3 and 2.8.7. FYI - they have not been updated or set to auto update because they are heavily customised and updating strips all the customisations and requires significant dev work each time. I have done some testing on my scorm 1.2 packages which up until recently were working fine across all tested browsers, but now silently fail to record results back the the LMS. Here are my test results:

device os browser working
iPad2 iOS 9.3.5 safari yes
iPad5 iOS 13.4.1 Chrome no
iPad5 iOS 13.4.1 safari no
PC: HP laptop windows 10.0.18363 IE 11 yes
PC: HP laptop windows 10.0.18363 Firefox no
PC: HP laptop windows 10.0.18363 Chrome no
PC: HP laptop windows 10.0.18363 Edge no
Nokia 3.1 smart phone Android 9 Chrome no

What's interesting is that it still works on old browsers (iPad2 Safari and IE11). I'm hoping that this means the versions of Moodle that I am running are no longer compatible with modern browsers and updating Moodle will fix the issue. In my case it is a significant amount of work to update Moodle due to the customizations. I think I'll Install the latest Moodle version on a separate instance to test my scorm packages from to make sure that is the solution before I go ahead with it on the live Moodle sites. Anyone with any advice please contribute - my message is more of a contribution to this overall issue rather than requesting specific help.

In reply to Ben Butler

by Dan Marsden -

Yes - it sounds like this will force you to upgrade to a recent supported version of Moodle which is a good thing. Hopefully it will encourage you to drop a number of your custom changes and put you in a position where you can regularly upgrade with security fixes to a supported release.

Keep in mind that the latest version does fix 80% of the issues with the changes in modern browsers, however there are still some edge-case bugs which we expect to have a patch landing to fix very soon.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ben Butler -
Hi Dan - thanks for your feedback on this. I just finished testing the latest moodle version (at this time it is 3.9) and can confirm that it has fixed the issue I am experiencing. To be more thorough I installed the old version I was using (3.6.3) as a fresh instance and was able to replicate the issue there (trying to discount some other cause of the issue before updating and re applying customisations). I really need to keep the customisations for my client, but I think I'll document the update / customisation process meticulously to make it easier on myself to update the moodle version more frequently. A real world example of the cons of customising Moodle (and not keeping it up to date). FYI - I didn't come across any issues in Edge when I was testing the latest version of Moodle, but might just be because of the small number of features of Moodle that I use (I turn most stuff off and just deliver the courses to users).
In reply to Ben Butler

by Ben Butler -
Hi again Dan,
Just like to say thanks again for your reply. I have finished updating and documenting the changes to make my future updates easier/quicker. Basically I found that there were only a few places that my custom files were being overwritten during the update. I store my custom files in these locations:
moodle/lib/fonts/
moodle/privacy/
moodle/theme/fordson/pix/
These custom files are only used within Moodle. To avoid having to replace them again for each future Moodle update, should I be storing them somewhere outside the Moodle directory (eg in the same root public_html folder where the moodle folder is located)? Can you think of any reasons that would be a bad idea? Eg - does Moodle require that all the files it accesses be within it's directory?

Cheers,
Ben
In reply to Ben Butler

by Tracy Hodges -
Hi Ben - just to clarify - are you no longer experiencing browser issues across all the main browsers, including Chrome? Also, was it Moodle 3.9 or Moodle 3.9+ that you upgraded to?
In reply to Tracy Hodges

by Ben Butler -

That's right - upgrading Moodle has completely fixed the issue I was experiencing. That's after testing in all the browsers I listed above (latest versions of Chrome, IE, Edge and Firefox in Windows 10, Chrome in Android, and Safari in iOS). I have upgraded to the latest  version which at this time is Moodle 3.9 (Build: 20200615). I just checked for updates and there are no newer versions available.

In reply to Ben Butler

by Tracy Hodges -

Hi Ben,

That's interesting, thank you.  

Hopefully a Moodle upgrade will resolve our issues too.  

(Our courses have Articulate Rise Lessons followed by a Storyline Quiz (two separate SCORMs).  Both open in a new window.  The Quiz is not accessible to the student until the Lessons have been viewed in full.  In Firefox, everything works fine, but in other browsers, such as Chrome now, the completion of the Lessons is now not passing back to Moodle (we are currently on Moodle version 3.6.3).  However, even in Chrome, the scores from the Storyline Quiz seem to be passing back OK.)

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Paul Bennett -
Hi Dan,

We're using Moodle 3.5. Are you telling us that no fix is pending for this current LTS release?

Thank you!

Paul
In reply to Paul Bennett

by Dan Marsden -
we did manage to squeeze in the previous chrome fix to the 3.5.11 branch - but 3.5 is only officially supported for security bugs - not general bugs like this; so no - you cannot expect any bug fixes like this to land in 3.5.
In reply to Mike Pettitt

by ali niciejewski -

Hi Guys, I've found a solution to Google Chrome not recording grades

Symptom

• There are some changes to Google Chrome release (Chrome 83) on May 19th that might impact course tracking. 
  • Specifically to changes in Chrome 83 are the commit calls for SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004 when the content window is closed.

Resolution

Chrome 83

This issue is the same around the update the started with version 80. This is a block on the browser that affect synchronous requests. You might see an error when closing the content window such as:

• jslet-common-logging.js;mod=7770ee83:81 Fri May 22 2020 11:14:30 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time) [DEBUG]: PlateauSCORMAPI LMSCommit('')
  • jslet-common-logging.js;mod=7770ee83:106 (2) ["Fri May 22 2020 11:14:30 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylig…RROR]:PlateauSCORMAPI Problem committing LMS data", "undefined"]
  • jslet-common-logging.js;mod=7770ee83:81 Fri May 22 2020 11:14:30 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time) [DEBUG]: PlateauSCORMAPI setError(101, diagnostic == 'undefined')
  • jslet-common-logging.js;mod=7770ee83:81 Fri May 22 2020 11:14:30 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time) [DEBUG]: PlateauSCORMAPI  returning 'false'

Please get with your IT team to update the Chrome setting "Allows synchronous XHR requests in page dismissal" which will allow the calls to proceed.

This can be done per browser by following these steps:

1. Open Chrome browser
  2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
  3. Change the drop-down selection from “Default” or “Disabled” to “Enabled”

You can view the complete article at https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/public/en/2876002

by Mike Pettitt -

Hi Ali,

Thank you for posting this. It seems like this is very valuable information and I have shared this with our LMS partner and with Adobe. It's not really viable for us to get all of our learners to make changes to their browser, but understanding the cause of the problem will hopefully help us work out a solution.

I will update when we make progress.

Thank you again!

In reply to Najla ZH

by Jay Shanley -

Najla,

Were you ever able to ascertain the cause of grades not recording?   

It seems that some Mac products have had the issue.  

Thanks.  Jay

In reply to Jay Shanley

by Melanie Scott -

It could be Google Chrome 83 or Edge--the 83 update did something that upset everything. If you aren't on a version higher than 3.6.9, it can happen a lot. I'm seeing that now and in the process of upgrading.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Wes Stewart -
Hello Everyone;

I have found a fix for problems in Chrome (Just like  ali niciejewski) and Safari. I just tested it on Safari, using SCORM 1.2 and Captivate and it appears to work. (Although I only completed a short course as the test) It has to do with a browser setting that does not allow an exchange of information between the server and the browser. The new browser settings blocked this exchange of information  by default.

The link is below. It has screen shots so it shows specifically what you need to do for both Chrome and Safari.

https://sisupport.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/43000577639-trouble-completing-course

A bit more information for those who are interested.

SCORM sends the data to the server by Javascript, its not a problem with SCORM its a problem with the new default settings of these two browsers disallowing this XHR API. Simply uncheck the box and it works.

XMLHttpRequest (XHR) is an API in the form of an object whose methods transfer data between a web browser and a web server. The object is provided by the browser's JavaScript environment.

In reply to Wes Stewart

by Wes Stewart -

Hello Everyone again;

SCORM is used by over 60% of all training institutions, universities and companies. Why both the developers of Safari and Chrome did not take this into account when they adjusted the default setting?

I think maybe the upper management of Moodle, Captivate and Articulate should have more communication with the developers of these browsers to see how any changes may impact  both large and small training institutions.

I have made a short Captivate video on how to enable communication between the browser and the server on Google Chrome. I do not own a Mac so I cannot do one for Safari, however I will try to come up with a solution.

Feel free to download this and place it on your training site.

In reply to Wes Stewart

by Wes Stewart -
Hello Everyone:

Another short Captivate video for Mac users  on how to enable communication between the browser and the server on Safari. Feel free to download this and place it on your training site.

In reply to Wes Stewart

by Wes Stewart -
Hello Everyone;

I must state I have used Adobe Captivate since its inception. Before it was owned by Macromedia and known as RoboDemo. RoboDemo 5 became known as Captivate 2. So many bugs in the software; my son and I began "on work arounds". We have both been successful on finding solutions and have a love for this Adobe product. I have a subscription to Adobe Captivate 2019 which has its share of bugs. However once I publish this zipped file and upload it to my server, nothing has touched it, for over 6 years.
In reply to Wes Stewart

by Wes Stewart -

Hello Everyone;

My experience with Moodle's SCORM 1.2 is that it's performance has been rock solid for the past 6 years, there are no bugs.

A main stream company like Adobe and Captivate, they claim their product is used by the majority of Fortune 500 companies, is correct. However it is full of bugs, but I still love the product, a user for over 15 years.

Once I create the zipped file and upload it to Moodle, there has never been any complaints. In my opinion Moodle's SCORM 1.2 and  Adobe Captivate are a flawless product.

Google Chrome is full of performance bugs, their company policy is to capture individual interests and to find out how they can market this. Try to eliminate past searches in Chrome; it is a headache, extremely buggy in this area. Google Chrome is not an honest browser.  It disables functions and attempts to steer the public in the direction that profits them.