How to submit code fixes to abandoned plugin?

How to submit code fixes to abandoned plugin?

by Melissa Newman -
Number of replies: 7
For the format_calendar plugin, I have done some bug fixes and added new features.  I tried to contact the plugin maintainer, but I think that it is an abandoned plugin.  So how do I go about submitting the fixes besides just posting the fixes on the comments or just creating a whole new plugin?

I attached the zip file.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Newman

Re: How to submit code fixes to abandoned plugin?

by Dominique Palumbo -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Melissa,

Is the plugin in the Moodle directory ?
Could you post the patch the git of the author ?

If I've read correctly, it's support Moodle 2.4 ?
Maybe it's included in Moodle 3.x, now ?

At the end, I add no answer, only questions : )

But I'm also interested by the process to contribute to "wake up" (modernize, upgrade,...) abandoned  plugin.

CU

Dominique.

In reply to Dominique Palumbo

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

David Mudrák runs (or used to) an "adoption scheme" for plugins with no current maintainer, if you're willing to take over maintenance of the plugin. Another option is to create your own fork on GitHub or another git hosting site with your changes, and hope that they can be merged into the main plugin in the future.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: How to submit code fixes to abandoned plugin? Plugins adoption programme

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Melissa,

As Mark mentions, we have a plugins adoption scheme. For further details, please see the dev docs Plugins adoption programme.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Additionnaly to what has already been wrote, you can read more information on the documentation about the plugin adoption program.

If you intend to regularly update a plugin, including for the latest (and supported) Moodle versions, don't hesitate to candidate for plugin adoption.

If you just want to make a one shot update of a plugin, you can create a discussion about it, in the General plugin forum (if no more specified), and write in the plugin's comments, linking to your discussion.

HTH,
Séverin
In reply to Dominique Palumbo

by Melissa Newman -
The plugin adoption documentation does not give any indication of how exactly to adopt a plugin. It just says that there are plugins that can be adopted.
In reply to Melissa Newman

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I tried to contact the plugin maintainer, but I think that it is an abandoned plugin

One of the maintainers seems to be an active user here at moodle.org. Have you tried to contact them both on their emails as well as via the moodle.org messaging? Have you reported the lack of recent versions as the plugin bug in its bugs repository? Or even submitted a pull request with an update?