3.5 - can't submit online text submission when The text box just contains an image

3.5 - can't submit online text submission when The text box just contains an image

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi - just upgraded to 3.5

Students are complaining that they cannot submit screenshots anymore in assignments set to "online text" submissions -- they get an error when submitting that says there is nothing to submit (wether they use Attos Insert image button or  the Atto image drag and drop feature). If they add in one character of text, then they can submit. This is  not it how 3.4 worked so I'm wondering if it's just me or if something is corrupted on my end. 

The reason we used the inline text is so teachers can utilize the quick grading (it displays the images instead of requiring them to download the images). 

Just wanting to see if this is expected behavior in moodle 3.5, thanks 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: 3.5 - can't submit online text submission when The text box just contains an image

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It isn't a problem with your site, it is a change in Moodle: MDL-61650. In versions 3.4.5 and 3.5.2 onwards online text assignments require a word count > 0.

If this is an issue I guess adding a new Tracker issue would be the thing to do. Maybe the word count restriction should be an assignment option to allow this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: 3.5 - can't submit online text submission when The text box just contains an image

by John Provasnik -

Thanks for the info Leon - didn't realize. 

Though it was a good idea, the word count restriction setting isn't applicable for this situation. Moodle doesn't have a count restriction for "minimum" content, only for "maximum" content. So after trying your suggestion, I realized that if I create a 1 word (max) restriction, then a student who types in zero words or characters will still satisfy the "no more than 1 word" setting, and they still get the error message that "nothing was submitted" - it would be great for it to say "you need at least one word to submit" ... but with some training students will figure this out for the new school year.

Thanks!

Edit: spelling correction

In reply to Leon Stringer

by John Provasnik -
Hi Leon - Your comment got me thinking, so I have created a tracker for this situation: MDL-66136 called "Regression for Teachers using Quick Grading".
My suggestion is to enact a Word Minimum to allow teacher to set the word minimum to "0" to bypass the requirement of having any text (so just an image can be added).
This would also be nice to stop students who give 1 or 2 word answers by having a small word minimum, say "5"
In reply to John Provasnik

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

A work around if you really need the students to be able to submit pictures without any text, use the latest version of Journal. Just verified works in Moodle 3.5.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by John Provasnik -

wide eyes

Did not think of that - FANTASTIC!