Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin.

Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin.

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 8

Hello

I've put on Moodle version 3.6.4+ (Build: 20190606) I am using browser Google Chrome latest version. I am on a Windows 10 desktop PC.

On the atto browser for feedback on assessments I've clicked the microphone and I am getting 'Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin.'

Now according to Chrome it does support WebRTC. I have checked that it is enabled and it is. I have even enabled the WebRTC Stun origin header and restarted the browser just in case and cleared the Moodle cache.

I've got debug turned on and it is showing nothing.

Any thoughts on what I look for now as we pretty much need it to work in Chrome on a desktop Windows PC.

Thank you.

Heather

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin.

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The Atto editor has the following JavaScript check:

if (!(navigator.mediaDevices && window.MediaRecorder)) {
            am.show_alert('nowebrtc', function() {

which produces the "…no support for WebRTC technologies…" message. This is a client-side only test and if it fails then Chrome isn't reporting support for RTC. I tested with Chrome 75.0.3770.100 on Windows 10, the above check passes so I don't get this message.

You could try running each of the following two lines in the JavaScript console using DevTools in Chrome:

if (!navigator.mediaDevices) alert('No mediaDevices'); else alert('mediaDevices found');

if (!window.MediaRecorder) alert('No MediaRecorder'); else alert('MediaRecorder found');

Just paste each line one at a time pressing <Enter> to run it.

These are the checks the Atto RTC plugin is using and both should show the "found" message in a pop-up.

If either is missing you need to find out why your browser doesn't have them.

In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin.

by Wozza David -
Hi everyone

I'm having a similar challenge. I have linked my students pc's to my main pc. we are connected using the moodle windows install package and the student pc's connect by typing in my main pc's IP to connect. The challenge i have now is i want students to be able to record audio but i keep getting the following error: Your browser offers limited or no support for WebRTC technologies yet, and cannot be used with this plugin. When i test on my laptop with the latest version of moodle i installed then the recording feature works. My laptop connects using localhost. my students PC's connect via an IP. Does make make a difference, is this causing the recording not working?
In reply to Wozza David

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I see you are getting help in your thread Using a complete install package on an internal network.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Wozza David -

Dear Visvanath

Yes Emma was able to help however i still haven't resolve the issue regarding the recording of audio. It works on my laptop when accessing localhost for moodle. 

But when i test in my classroom pc which are connected to my fixed ip in the class it doesn't work. I get that error message. Do you have a solution?

In reply to Wozza David

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The reason for this is that you need an HTTPS connection to the server with most browser varieties for RecordRTC to be granted access to the mic and webcam. I am surprised there is not a more intuitive message about that.

It works with localhost because that is a kind of exception. Get an SSL certificate for your website and it will work. If you are on an intranet then a self signed certificate will usually work. Otherwise these days you can get an SSL certificate for free in a few ways.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Wozza David -

Hi Justin

Thank you for the feedback. I'm no expert on networking hence the struggle. So basically my setup is as follows:

i have a teacher PC where i downloaded the Moodle to. In my classroom all the PC's connect to my pc by searching for my IP and then they can login to the moodle. So how would i add an SSL certificate to this setup. I'm a little clueless. There is no actual webiste just an internal network.

In reply to Wozza David

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I understand. HTTPS doesn't make sense in a LAN, but that is how the things are. But then, what is your WebRTC https://webrtc.org/ application?

Here are the general instructions on https://docs.moodle.org/en/Transitioning_to_HTTPS. You might need some instructions specific to Windows 10 too.
In reply to Wozza David

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes its a bit of a hassle alright. You will need to generate a self signed certificate and then tell your teacher PC's web server to use it. When your student clients connect they will see an ugly message that the site they are accessing is insecure, and have to ignore the message and continue. Its not ideal.

I might be possible to relax the browser imposed conditions. I am not sure about that. See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34197653/getusermedia-in-chrome-47-without-using-https

All around the best situation is to set up Moodle on a server with a public IP address and a DNS name and an SSL certificate.

The one cunning work-around I can think of is:
a) register a domain eg supermoodle.net
b) register a wildcard SSL for that domain. You will probably need a public server somewhere to do this.
c) set the dns for subdomain(eg teacherpc.supermoodle.net ) that you plan to use, to point to the local IP address of the teacher PC(eg 192.168.1.15)
e) install the SSL certificate on your teacherpc web server

I think this would work but its not super easy.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)