Several problems

Several problems

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 6
OK, up to now I had spent quite a lot of time putting together Hot Potatoe quizzes and testing them on my own. This quarter, however, showtime arrived and I have all my quizzes "in production". I'm observing some things that I had not observed in my tests and I'm a bit confused.

Some students complained that the score they see when they click on activities > Hot Potatoes quizzes is very low and they know for sure that they did much better than that. I was rather surprised that something like that would happen because in all my tests the scoring seemed to work well.

When I checked I realized what was going on and I was rather surprised. It turns out that I had selected 'average grade' as the 'grading method' and what was happening was that some students had just viewed the quiz without attempting any answer or had started the quiz but had abandoned it without completing it. So, as the image below shows, the average score they obtained included also what HotPot took to be attempts but which in fact were simply visualizations of the quiz:

hp1

My question is, how come the results (or rather 'non-results' as in this case) from 'abandoned' quizzes are computed as well. Shouldn't only the results of quizzes that are completed be included in the calculation of the final score? If completed quizzes cannot be distinguished from abandoned ones, this has consequences also for the other grading methods. Imagine we choose 'first attempt' and then a student first views the quiz one day to see what it's like and next day s/he completes it. Or the opposite, we choose 'last attempt' and the student completes que quiz and next day she checks it again just to consult something in say, a vocabulary exercise, because she just remembered a particular word and wanted to see whether it was the same she saw in the exercise. In the two cases, this student would get a score of zero, which seems rather undesirable.

Is this the way it is supposed to be or am I doing something wrong?
The second question I have is about something that doesn't seem to be so serious of a problem but that is a bit puzzling. I'm getting a lot of labels inside double square brackets (in the image you can see completed, but this happens with many other labels). This didn't happen in the other installation where I did all the testing.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer me with this.

Josep M.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Several problems

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josep,

"abandoned" attempts are included in the "average" grade for a hotpot. In your example, the score for the abandoned attempt was zero, but it could easily be non-zero if any questions had been attempted. If you do not want to include abandoned attempts in the score, you could delete all abandoned attempts (there is a button on the "Overview" report for this very purpose)

To fix the double brackets problem, please install the language pack for HotPot v2.1:

English

Spanish

best regards as always
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Josep M. Fontana -
Oops. Thanks Gordon. I see the button now.

Now it is kind of late here but I will install the language packs as soon as I can.
Do these language packs include help pages for the undocumented functions? I was having trouble understanding what some of these functions are for (e.g. click reporting or update quiz chain) but when I clicked the ? icon I saw that there was no explanation.

Josep M.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josep,
the help documents for click reporting and updating chains are included in the "lang/en/help/hotpot" folder in the links I gave earlier, so you will get them when you have downloaded that help folder for HotPot v2.1

For your reference, here are some links to the help files on my server:
If you have any suggestions for improvements to the help files, please let me know smile

all the best
Gordon

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Gordon. Thanks a lot again.

I haven't installed the last version of HotPot yet but I went to the help files on your server to satisfy my curiosity as soon as possible smile. I don't have much in the form of suggestions for improvements, but I found a typo:

Enable clck reporting

One question. Is the latest build (with the language packs you mention) of the HotPot module included in the Latest Stable Branch of Moodle that you can download from moodle.org? I'm saying this because I was thinking it was time to upgrade our Moodle installation anyway. If the latest version of the HotPot module is integrated already, I could save myself some time by just going ahead and simply doing a Moodle upgrade.

Josep M.

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Josep,
I just sent you a direct message because I couldn't access moodle.org, and now of course I can access moodle.org again. Could it be that my son's Christmas magnet set is affecting my wireless connection :-o ?

Anyway, since you are using the latest "stable" version of Moodle, i.e Moodle 1.5, along with HotPot v2.1, I suggest you update as follows:
  1. update Moodle (either from CVS or from the Moodle download page) but don't log in as "admin" till you have finished the steps below
  2. download HotPot v2.1 (+ language packs) from my server:
    http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/hotpot-module.2.1.x.zip
  3. install HotPot v2.1 by unzipping the hotpot folder so that it overwrites the current 'mod/hotpot" folder
  4. copy "mod/hotpot/lang/en/hotpot.php" across to "lang/en/hotpot.php"
  5. copy all of "mod/hotpot/lang/en/help/hotpot/" across to "lang/en/help/hotpot/"
  6. login as "admin" to your site
Actually HotPot v2.1 is part of Moodle 1.6. You can use it with earlier versions of Moodle, but if you upgrade an ealier version of Moodle system, you have to remember to add HotPot v2.1 (including the language files) back in, as described above.

all the best
Gordon

P.S. Thanks for spotting the typo!

by Josep M. Fontana -
Got your message and followed instructions. HotPot installed. Working perfectly smile.

Josep M.