Moodle Vs Kaleidos The wider implications

Moodle Vs Kaleidos The wider implications

by Barry Simpson -
Number of replies: 3

Our school is beginning to use kaleidos as our vle we are at the stage of inputting all the files which is very time consuming.

Other schools in our area have opted for moodle

I am intrested in peoples opinions of moodle vs kaleidos

i would also like to know about how easy it is to integrate new resource based software ( e.g. 21st century science) which is kaleidos tagged into kaleidos or moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Simpson

Re: Moodle Vs Kaleidos The wider implications

by Richard Treves -
I can't comment on kaleidos as I've never seen it, however, I wanted to comment on inputing files.  I work for a project which needs to have content easily moveable between VLEs for which we use www.reload.ac.uk.  Its pretty straightforward to use and produces a nice interface.  You just drag and drop files into the order you want them on the website, publish on a public website and link it from within your VLE.  It would probably be quicker than kaleidos for uploading but has the downside that you lose tracking of what student has read what resource (its not that important for us) and your files are in the public view (although you can mask the VLE so its difficult to find for people).  Just thought you might find the idea of interest

Rich
In reply to Richard Treves

by Michael Penney -
Hi Richard, do Reload produced SCORM objects provide tracking data? If so, why do you publish to an external site rather than to a SCORM object?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Richard Treves -
Hi Michael,

Short answer: I'm lazy.wink

Myself and a colleague have experimented with SCORM in BB, moodle, angel and have found it more trouble than its worth.  I dare say I'll come back to it when its more robust but in the short term my team and I are happy to lose the tracking data for ease of publishing.

We also like the ability to be able to change things just before students get to them, if you've put everything in a SCORM package you've lost that ability (haven't you?  not completely sure on this)

Rich