Is it necessary to use maintenance mode for small updates?

Re: Is it necessary to use maintenance mode for small updates?

by Ben Kahn -
Number of replies: 3
David, thanks, I tried it on a dev server. What a great, easy step to improve transparency and alert users. My only qualm is that on the boost theme at least it's a bit understated. But I'm definitely going to use this for my next upgrade cycle.
In reply to Ben Kahn

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Add something like like:

.maintenancewarning {
background-color:red;
color:white;
}
to /admin/settings.php?section=themesettingboost > Advanced settings > theme_boost | scss

and no user will miss it ;).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ben Kahn

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
This probably should have been obvious for admins but using the CLI script for turning on the maintenance mode blocks the WWW interface even for admins. At least I ran the script with sudo permissions. Perhaps it should have been run using the www-data / apache server as the owner. I have not tested for that.
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Ben Kahn -
Przemek, thank you for your great contributions. I tried the SCSS and it works beautifully. Saved me from having to go in and figure out what CSS classes to use smile 

And yes a good note of warning that web access to the site is totally cut off when using CLI maintenance mode. So you need to be comfortable running updates from the command line as well. Since I already use git for updates this is an easy change for me to make. Instead of visiting the admin notifications area I can just run:

##do the upgrade (using the apache user)
 $ sudo -u www-data /usr/bin/php admin/cli/upgrade.php
##turn off maintenance mode
 $ sudo -u www-data /usr/bin/php admin/cli/maintenance.php --disable
Average of ratings: Useful (1)