Sub Page plugin

Sub Page plugin

by Brad Nielsen -
Number of replies: 2

Just a quick question, what is the current status of the Sub page plugin? A number of teachers have asked me about being able to create additional sub sections and I thought the Sub Page plugin was the answer. Are there any plans to integrate Sub Pages into Moodle core.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Nielsen

Re: Sub Page plugin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have you tried the Flexible sections course format? Slightly more up to date than the subpage plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/format_flexsections
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Sub Page plugin

by Brad Nielsen -

Hi Mary, 

I have, it's very useful but also very clunky. For one, it changes the look and feel of the site. A lot of the teachers at my school, like the visual look of Grid Format or the OneTopic Format or the Collapsible Topics Format, so it represents a massive change. Also the Flexible Sections Format doesn't work well with the Sharing Cart, and once you make the change to Flexible Sections, you cant easily change back or import without creating a whole lot of empty/orphaned sections.

I think a sub section should be independent to the Course Format for those reasons. I know Canvas and SchoolBox use the idea of Units, to allow teachers to create sub sections, and share sub sections.  The Sub Course idea isn't a bad one, but it populates Navigation and the User Profile with lots of additional courses. And currently it requires a three step process. Create a Course. Metalink the Course. Create the sub course link inside Parent Course. This is outside the skill set of most teachers, who simply would like to create a sub section with a single click.

regards,
Brad